RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Winchester large rifle magnum v. CCI larger rifle magnum primers - "hotness?"

Winchester large rifle magnum v. CCI larger rifle magnum primers - "hotness?"

I probably already know the answer to this, but after searching haven't found exactly this question.

I'm very used to CCI for large rifle, and secondarily WW for large rifle primers.

I recently jumped on obtaining Remington large rifle magnum primers.

I'm still in the process of initial chamber measurements for my .338 WM. 200 grain Speer Hot Cor bullets. For a couple reasons, I've decided to refire once-fired and partial-resized brass, using a fairly stiff load of 73.5 grains IMR 4831.

Speer uses CCI LRM for their load data, and a max charge of 74.5 grains IMR 4831. In other words, I'm using 1 grain off max, but with Rem LRM v. the CCI LRM used in the Speer data.

OTOH, Lyman uses Rem 9 1/2 LRM primers, and a max load of 74.0 4831. In other words, I'm using 0.5 off max according to Lyman, but with the same primer.

I know it's probably an "it's up to you, but I would" kind of question, but what's the general consensus - should I pull these bullets and back off to say a midpoint load? Or given that with Lyman, I'm not at max, and am using the same primer, I'm good?
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    I would back off a bit more, I never like to start at the top end. I had a European mfr. 243 that blew primers with a recommended start load, so I have become more conservative in my loading practices. Rather than give my bullet puller exercise, I'd see if I had a few empty cases left and load a couple at the start load ~70.5 grains, a couple more @`71.5, and a couple more @ ~72.5 before I jumped into the deep end of the pool.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 03-02-2023 at 11:19 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Thanks, I'll do that. I actually contacted Speer directly, too, to see what they had to say. I'll post it here.
    -Paul