Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: 1864 Burnside Carbine (Initial Range day video.)

1864 Burnside Carbine (Initial Range day video.)

My Newest Acquisition, an 1864 Burnside Carbine. US Cavalry Carbine. I put together this little video of my first day on the Range with it. Thought you might enjoy seeing it.
    For round one, I just picked up some casted bullets from S&S. I just ordered a Lee round ball mold, and I’ll give that a shot next time I take it out. Depending on how they perform, I’ll decide if I want to invest in a conical mold.

Boolit Master
    Nice. Crowd pleaser. I handled one in a store but never fired one. I had a Gallagher .54 that I used roundballs in. Why I sold it, I don't know.
    I used to spray PAM down the barrel from the breech for lube. It worked great.

Its a lot of fun to shoot, and I got a lot of people stopping by, asking questions about it. (which is fun also.) I used a lot of lubricant, between the grease cookie, and then dipping the bullet. It got a little gunky, but the wax is easy to wipe away. It kept the fouling soft, and it made clean up go pretty quick.

Boolit Master
    How much powder do you use?

45 grains was the standard military loading. It would be tough to fit any more than that in the case. I was using 40 grains. From what I've read 38-42 grains seems to be the range for people who have worked up loads for competition. - and I was using swiss 2f. I've read of a few variations using 2f and 3f

Excellent weapon. Very nicely produced video as well.

Thank you very much!

Boolit Master
    Aren't the CW carbines fun? I've had two shootable Maynard Second Models and a Merrill, but the Burnside I had was a little too far gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    Aren't the CW carbines fun? I've had two shootable Maynard Second Models and a Merrill, but the Burnside I had was a little too far gone.
    Yea its definitely a lot of fun. I just picked up 20 more pieces of brass, so I'll have 40 for the next range trip. Looking forward to getting back out on the range with it.

Boolit Master
    I have a 5th Model. Tried both conical and round ball, preferred the round ball. Found out the N-SSA also prefers the rb. Not the lightest carbine but handy to carry. I took mine out one fall and got a deer.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

I just picked up a round ball mold, and another 20 pieces of brass (I've got 40 cases now.) Looking forward to getting back on the range with it. Congrats on taking a Deer with yours. That's gotta give you a good feeling of accomplishment.

Boolit Master
    After nearly six decades of hunting, it is still all about putting meat in the freezer.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.