RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I guess I am becoming dumb and invisible

Boolit Master
    I was expecting this thread to be about riding a motorcycle.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm 70 - retired - my red hair faded a long time ago, and, like many guys, I inherited my somewhat {bare spot{ on top from my grandfather.

First . . the clothes. I disagree . . . clothes don't make the man. Like you, my normal attire is a Carhart tee shirt and jeans . . . . not like many that I see in public. I have known many, many men, whose daily attire was "casual" - WORKING MEN . . . many of them business owners. One that comes to mind was a family friend who owned a large trucking company - a multi-millionaire, and his daily attire was a denim shirt and bib overalls and workbooks. Many of the men I'm talking about were farmers, business owners and self-made men - some with college degrees and others "educated y life".

So don't sell yourself short! I think what you are experiencing has nothing to do with you, bu rather the results of the American public school educational system and a generation of parents where many were more concerned about "their needs" rather - the "instant gratification" crowd who, sadly, were pretty much handed tings by parents who wanted them to have it easier than they had it. And it didn't't get any better with "Leave no child behind" where every one was a "winner" - those who were never targht that life is a learning experience with hard knocks, disappointments and failures along the way. And it is not going to get any better because I guess it is more important to teach kids about gender, false narratives on our country and critical race theory - rather than math, science, history, reading, writing and communication skills that are necessary for a successful and productive life - nor about learning to take responsibility for your actions and the fact that "to get respect, you have to earn and give respect".

There are many good "youngsters" out there though . . . guys and gals who were brought up right . . . and they do deserve respect and recognition. Unfortunately, it is those that ween[t brought up right and those who think they know everything, but who actually are ignorant on basic life skills and knowledge . . . that seem to overshadow the good ones . . .and that's a shame.

I know exactly what you are talking about Mr. Thujbcocker, as I see and feel it often as you describe it. It's always interesting to me, when my wife and I travel back and forth between Michigan and Arizona. I have an issue with my left leg and foot so I am now forced to used a cane. A good example is when we stop at truck stop to get gas, use the rest room and get a cold drink or a snack to take a break. Many, many times, as I get to the entrance, I have had "young people" push past me in a rush to get in and let the door close right in my face or I have seen them do it to older folks who are fully mobile and in good shape. On the other hand, I have also had many young folks who are going in, stand by the entry door and wait for me to get there so they can hold the door open for me . . . those kids were taught "right" and are doing the same thing I did all my life for others like my folks taught me to do. I have to adit, it sometimes embarrasses me when someone holds the door for me - especially when it is a younger gal as I always feel like it is wrong ass I was taught to hold the door for women and let them go ahead of me. And, I always say "thank you" and usually tell them that when they see their folks the next time, please tell them what a wonderful son or daughter they raised.

Yea . . what you describe is bothersome at times. But, I have a feeling that it has been going on for many generations because I saw it going on a long time ago when I was young. Now, I just have to smile to myself and I think about how at some point in their lives, the will get their "comeuppance" as Karma is a wonderful thing. And, at some point in life, while they think they know it all and feel the need to let everyone know it, they'll realize that they can learn a lot from "older= people" and quite possibly, learn about respect and responsibility at the same time. So don't let it get you down too much. Enjoy your retirement and the time you and your wife can spend together and have fun. Like all "younger generations" through the years . . . . they'll eventually have to grow up and either "sink or swim". Live each day to the fullest and there are enough fine young people out there to make you realize that "all is not lost".

Boolit Master
    i used to go skiing in insulated Carhart bibs ( before it was a thing ). Up North here, most people wear jeans and flannel shirts, even to Church. It's always casual Friday in the boonies.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Moderator Emeritus

Where I am in MN it is horse country, lot of cattle operations, rodeos... so jeans an a t-shirts are acceptable wear, to get fancy I will put on a nice top... people don't care how you dress. Most kids out here are still taught right. They know what the Bill of Rights is and that liberals twist it to say things that are not in it. We also have trap and rifle teams in most of the high schools.

Get the big citiot who brings there little animal kids out here when they move here for a job. Those kids often try to bully people and quickly find out that farm kid has muscles and will hurt you. If the parents last a year out here they start changing, becoming more polite....

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I was expecting this thread to be about riding a motorcycle.
    Lol

Please write bigger!!! I am hard of seeing.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

If I don't get my haircut, and trim my beard, strangers assume I am a prophet, and come over to ask the meaning of life.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Do you happen to know the answer? I could use some help with that myself.......!

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    If I don't get my haircut, and trim my beard, strangers assume I am a prophet, and come over to ask the meaning of life.

Wayne
    Best reason I’ve heard for growing a beard.

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post

Wayne
    Look real serious and tell them, "Wet birds don't fly at night".

They won't bother you after that.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Anonymity has its privileges.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    Jesus sees us all, and great self esteem and pride aren't exactly the traits that he likes the most. I'll be happy if at my age, (66) I can be seen as the man that my Lord wants me to be.

Every man who lives long enough will come to the realization that he's not the man he used to be. Then, sometime after that, the really honest man will admit that he never was the man he thought he was. jdscholer
    Words of wisdom.