Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '92 Rossi .44 Magnum Owners- A Question for You

'92 Rossi .44 Magnum Owners- A Question for You

I have a farmer/rancher buddy who carries an older '92 Rossi with him everywhere. Several years ago I began loading his ammunition for him and always loaded 250-ish gr. cast SWC's (RCBS 44-250KT and 429421)in .44 Special cases with enough powder to get them to 1200-1300 fps. I have accumulated quite a bit of .44 Magnum brass and thought I load his shell in those.

Knowing that loading these particular SWC's in Magnum brass will lead to a cartridge over 1.61", can I expect these to feed in his '92?

Thanks!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Load a handful of dummies with no powder or primer and let him try them for function first.
    Before you load a big batch.
    Don’t ask how I know this…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Load a handful of dummies with no powder or primer and let him try them for function first.
    Before you load a big batch.
    Don’t ask how I know this…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He and the rifle reside a couple of hours away. I'm betting someone here has run, or not run, 429421's through their '92.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

The 92 is the pickiest feeder I've ever dealt with. 1.61 Is COAL maximum. The big meplat will probably jamb up on the chamber entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    The 92 is the pickiest feeder I've ever dealt with. 1.61 Is COAL maximum. The big meplat will probably jamb up on the chamber entrance.
    Thanks for your response.

I have a '92 in .357 and I sometimes shoot 358429's through it, which exceed 1.6". It'll feed them, but you can't dally around with the lever, it has to be worked as intended.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I have a Rossi 92 in 44mag, It won't feed a Keith boolit. This is the one that works: https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...34-298-fn-av2/. If your friends works with 44 special brass, then why change it? Hope that helps.

Boolit Master
    The old pre safety that I had required the 429421 to be crimped on the drive band in order to function.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    I have a Rossi 92 in 44mag, It won't feed a Keith boolit. This is the one that works: https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...34-298-fn-av2/. If your friends works with 44 special brass, then why change it? Hope that helps.
    I want to load shells for him with two different purposes, plinking and hunting, that he can tell apart at a glance. Loads in the short Special cases would be for plinking and those in Magnum cases would be for hunting.

I may just crimp the Magnum loads.over the driving band.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Some do, some don’t, some will ,some won’t , mine does, BUT? Best thing to do is load some dummies, no primers, no powder, and mail them to him, can’t think you could get in trouble for mailing dummies, just brass and lead.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crappie-hunter View Post
    Some do, some don’t, some will ,some won’t , mine does, BUT? Best thing to do is load some dummies, no primers, no powder, and mail them to him, can’t think you could get in trouble for mailing dummies, just brass and lead.
    Seems like the best approach.
    Don Verna

A couple hours away in central Texas is next door isn’t it? Why not go to visit and take some dummies to try. A visit is worth a trip by itself.

I’d like to know too. If the length is close, maybe trim some magnum brass short. The hornady brass used for leverlution ammo is .020 shorter than normal. If you used that or trimmed normal brass short, you could work up full bore loads, and still crimp in the crimp groove.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 02-22-2023 at 06:32 PM.

I wanted to load Keith's for my rossi, but upon researching the issue, I found the mushy answer of "some do, some don't". Bought a different mold from accurate, so I still don't know about mine in particular.

Boolit Buddy
    I just bought a Rossi 44 mag, stainless 16" from a friend of mine. He also had some ammo his dad had loaded. Some of the loads were with a sort of long nosed SWC, but I don't know which version... the label only said 250gr SWC....

They would not feed through this Rossi.

Between my 357 Henry, my 45 Rossi, and my 44 Rossi, I'm about to come to the conclusion that more of a slightly round nose flat point might be the best design for leverguns... the Henry feeds shorter nosed SWC's and the 45 will feed some SWC's, but all of them cycle more smoothly with the RNFP style.

Boolit Grand Master
    Re: 44 Rossi's.

My brother has 2: one 16"; one 22". The shorty feeds SWC's fine, the 20 incher won't. My own 357 Rossi won't feed a long cartridge, even 1.6" is likely to cause trouble. I load 358-429's crimped over the front band and use Lyman data accordingly. You may want to consider doing the same type of thing for the 44's you load.

Regardless, I join the chorus recommending you load a few dummies and have him try them before you waste a single primer. I once loaded 500 9mm that would not work in my Model 39. Can you say "bullet puller?" I knew you could.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I'd sure try dummy 44 Special rounds first. MY Rossi 44 Magnum just will not feed 44 Special. So I have been loading reduced 44 Magnum loads with a 44 Magnum case - Lee 430 240 SWC sitting on 7 grains of Unique. It feeds SWC's just fine in the 44 Magnum case. But I learned to cycle the lever like I was trying to break it. Go slow and it is liable to jam.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Re: 44 Rossi's.

My brother has 2: one 16"; one 22". The shorty feeds SWC's fine, the 20 incher won't. My own 357 Rossi won't feed a long cartridge, even 1.6" is likely to cause trouble. I load 358-429's crimped over the front band and use Lyman data accordingly. You may want to consider doing the same type of thing for the 44's you load.

Regardless, I join the chorus recommending you load a few dummies and have him try them before you waste a single primer. I once loaded 500 9mm that would not work in my Model 39. Can you say "bullet puller?" I knew you could.
    That's interesting. Hs your brother laid the two side-by-side and tried to figure out why one feeds SWC's fine but the other doesn't? Surely the problem is just some small difference that could be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I'd sure try dummy 44 Special rounds first. MY Rossi 44 Magnum just will not feed 44 Special. So I have been loading reduced 44 Magnum loads with a 44 Magnum case - Lee 430 240 SWC sitting on 7 grains of Unique. It feeds SWC's just fine in the 44 Magnum case. But I learned to cycle the lever like I was trying to break it. Go slow and it is liable to jam.
    Like I said in my original post, I've been loading SWC's in Special cases for him and they feed just fine. I even loaded some SWC's (429421) in Magnum cases, crimped them up near the front of the driving band and he said they fed fine. But that load concerns me a bit since it's used in a tubular magazine.

I just came in from casting a couple hundred 429215's. Their length loaded in a Magnum case should be around 1.630 which I'm hoping his rifle can handle. If it won't, he can shoot them in his revolver.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Certainly for me with my Chiappa 1892 clone it wouldn't feed Lyman / Thomson style bullets at 44 mag length but with 44 Special it worked great. I used data from here: https://www.handloadermagazine.com/44-s-w-special-p

2400 was what I had and according to the software, 15.7gr gives a nice tight group with a speed of ~1500 fps out of my 20" barrel.

Scrummy

I got my hands on my buddies Rossi and tried running three different cast SWC's loaded in .44 Magnum cases through it.

429215- With ease. I'd loaded 50 of these so I'm really glad they feed!
    429421- With ease.
    RCBS 44-250KT- Not without some mouth twisting and teeth gritting, it's a no-go.
    I'm going to take some measurements to see if the Thompson 429244 will work.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    With my older 92, it would feed my 44-250-K loads most of the time. It will feed the 429244 100% so I'm betting that'll probably work in your buddy's gun too. Good to verify of course.

Boolit Master
    Lots of feeding problems with these straight sided pistol cases and ole Elmers funky lookin jam o matic projectiles
    Are we getting it yet why the originals ran on cases with a slight bottleneck and boolits with a nice curved nose profile???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast