Boolit Master

rust blue pictures

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2170008 (9).JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	310790

Boolit Master
    well i'm still learning. talked to a buddy and he lead me thru some of this. only 1 photo came up. will try for more later

Which blue are you using?

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

mark lee express blue

hopefully, more pictures show up. still learningClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P2170005.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	310792

Looks good from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    using mark lee express blue. i think that i giggled a little when it was assembled with new blue and stock finish

Boolit Master

Looks good.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Boy, that looks nice!

Boolit Mold
    Damn that looks good!

Chuck S.

Boolit Mold
    That looks very nice
    Nothing says class like Rust Blue

Boolit Master
    well, to be honest, i don't believe that rust blue looks any better that regular hot blue. here's why.. in the late 1970's, a friend and i began blueing guns in my basement. he did the buffing and i did the disassembly and re-assembly. our work was very good. here's the difference. my friend charlie finished the buffing with a finer buffing compound than used with rust blueing. the pictures of the mod 12 that i rust blued is finished with 400 grit wet/dry paper. the finished product gives a slight satin "glow". if i still had my hot blueing set up; i would use it,

I was given a Krag rifle that had been sporterized, sawed off barrel and stock, drilled and tapped for Remington sights, rubber butt pad. The stock was painted red, looked like dried blood. UGLY.

I spent so much time on that rifle/carbine. Cleaned up the crown, filled in the holes from the sights with tiny screws, peened the deep into the threads and finished them flush so they disappeared. I filed a flat spot on tip and silver soldered a genuine carbine sight in place. refinished the stock, the original cartouche still visible. I made a heavy brass Butt plate to fill the space from the crappy one. I oil rubbed is so that it looked vintage. Put a Redfield receiver sight on that fits in place of the magazine cut-off. I polished the barrel and other parts that were blued with emery cloth down to 400 grit. I heated the metal bits as hot as I could get them with an electric heat gun the swabbed them with Birchwood Casey cold blue. The metal still looks good 15years later. I was pretty proud of my efforts so I showed a friend who is a long time gunsmith for Browning the USSS.
    He walked by my desk where I had it to show him. With out seeing it, he speaks up and askes everyone around "Who in the hell has been using the cold blue s$%*!"
    He swore he could smell it before he walked into the office. He did pay me a nice compliment by saying I "had taken a $25 piece of crap and made it into a $75 dollar one". High praise indeed from him.
    Fifteen years later, I can't smell it anymore-or maybe am I just used to it??
    He also thought that the .30-40 cartridge was responsible for wounding more deer than any other with the exception of the .30-30. (hunters trying to reach too far)

He was a crusty ole Missouri farmer, I miss him.

Rusty

Boolit Buddy
    Last winter I handled a Stevens 325 in .30-30 that I cold blued as a kid over fifty years ago. It still looked crude, but there was no rust and the selenium smell had finally dissipated. Many years later I rust browned an antique side by side using a solution (I forget which one) that created a copper colored flash coating if you swabbed the metal more than once very lightly. Your work looks great and I wish I had your talent!