Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: SAAMI Accepts And Standardizes 360 Buckhammer

SAAMI Accepts And Standardizes 360 Buckhammer

For those who have been waiting for SAAMI drawings for the 360 Buckhammer.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...60-buckhammer/

Click on "detailed specifications" in the article for a pdf of the SAAMI drawings.

Now we just have to wait for Henry and/or others to get rifles out.

Boolit Master
    Are we allowed to complain about the cartridge name yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by American Rifleman
    [...] 180- or 200-grain Core-Lokt loads are already available from Remington. Muzzle velocity runs between 2,215 and 2,400 fps. The reaction was universally positive, with many noting the reduced recoil compared to the .30-.30 Win.-chambered rifle provided for side-by-side comparison.
    Sure, I'd buy that;
    180gr/200gr @ 2400/2200 fps, compared to the 'heavier-recoiling' 30-30's 150gr/170gr @ 2400/2200fps.
    30grs more lead at the ~same muzzle velocities; I wonder what grade that writer got in physics class.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 02-21-2023 at 07:37 PM.

I'm really glad they decided to put a modern type throat in it. My previous concerns are no longer, and especially with cast handloads sized to fill the throat it should be an accurate shooter. It will be even better in custom rifles with a slower twist also. 1:12 is pretty tight for us cast boolit shooters.

That is funny. I really didn't pay much attention to the article, was just more interested in the drawings. They didn't say what rifle the 30-30 was, but I wonder if it wasn't a lighter gun so it had more recoil. The 360 appears to have almost identical performance to the 35 Remington (with the same bullets even). 30-30, 35 Remington and the 360 are all pretty "mild mannered" cartridges so I think discussion about recoil differences are fairly pointless.
    I live in the "limited firearms zone" in Michigan and haven't been attracted to the 350 Legend and would love a nice levergun for deer hunting. The 35 Rem. is a well known deer killer, but doesn't meet the restrictions for this zone. The 360 would equal the 35 Rem. performance and I could hunt anywhere with it.

[QUOTE=Kestrel4k;5538879]Are we allowed to complain about the cartridge name yet ?

I'm putting together a 10" TC Contender pistol for the 360, as a cast friendly alternative to the 357 Herrett.

But I'm gonna call it the 360 Smash hammer.

Aaaand here we have yet another wheel. The ballistics closely resemble those of the .375 Winchester.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I will not try to convert my 35 Rem 336 to it, but it would be great if straight walls are required by state agencies that just want to impose meaningless restrictions on their subjects.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Aaaand here we have yet another wheel. The ballistics closely resemble those of the .375 Winchester.

35W
    I don’t understand why they didn’t just start making new rifles in .375!

Solves the same thing, only gooder…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Cases look to be a good source for 375 SuperMag cases, just trim 0.19" off and resize in the 375 SuperMag dies. Once they get out there and in use, range pickups should appear. Have used 38/55 and 375 Winchester cases in the past but they are much harder to find. And this case is rated @ 50,000 psi!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    I don’t understand why they didn’t just start making new rifles in .375!

Solves the same thing, only gooder…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good point on why not use the 375 Winchester. Hornady could even come up with a gummy bullet for the round too.

Quote Originally Posted by nhithaca View Post
    Good point on why not use the 375 Winchester. Hornady could even come up with a gummy bullet for the round too.
    It's the case length to meet state hunting regs.

Tinfoil hat of mine: State game regulators are friends w/ gun company folks and have been finding ways to sell new guns...

Boolit Buddy
    Missed the case length requirement; in NH for the limited areas (higher population density) we only can use shotgun w/ slugs or 00 buck or lever action carbines only in 357, 44 Mag or 45 Colt or hand guns in various calibers (won't list here) and only loaded with 6 cartridges (not a limitation on the actual magazine/cylinder capacity).