Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 Caliber jacketed bullets?

Boolit Mold

12 Caliber pic #2

i think its working.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12 caliber pic #2 test.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	310874

Boolit Mold

Here's the barrel crown.

12 caliber barrel crown pic if this is working.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12 caliber pic #3 test.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	310875

Sorry to post so many pictures. It's like being a proud parent. I hope my kid isn't really ugly after posting all of these....

Carl C.

Extreme Accuracy

Boolit Master

How in the world could anyone drill, ream and rifle anything that small !!
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    How in the world could anyone drill, ream and rifle anything that small !!
    Micro Bots and Nano Bots. Oh-No; They are taking over the world.

Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Mold

14 calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle32 View Post
    Carl I forgot to ask about you 14 calibers. Do you have a source for the 14 caliber barrels? I had a 14 Walker Hornet and a 14-221 Walker in Contender pistol barrels but sold them years ago because of lack of bullets available. The only source I knew of back then was Reeds.
    I would love to get another 14 Hornet based caliber. I do have a 17 squirrel Contender pistol now.

Mike
    Mike, I bet I know who bought your 14 caliber barrels. Did you happen to sell them as a packaged deal? We picked up a new customer looking for 14 caliber bullets awhile back that sure fits the description of your old barrels. I have him beta testing a new light weight bullet design for us now.

I'm currently down to my last four 14 caliber blanks. If I can get another batch of them made I think I'm going to fire the old 14 caliber website back up and start selling online again. It was getting to be such a fight with anti gun credit card processing companies that we went back to just selling direct to our old customers.

Wish you the best of luck on your upcoming shoots,

Carl C.

Extreme Accuracy

After I got my 17 Ackley Hornet sorted, I really thought I wanted a 14 caliber something or other. (In what I hope is an un-insulting way of saying this) I am glad I didn't, because I just don't have the time/money/skill set for the bullet manufacturing. They really are interesting though, and for years I wondered if there were 12s. Now I know...

In a serious vein: what are the BCs, and how is wind drift in 10-15 at 200?

BTW, FWIW: I think the maple stock looks nice.
    If I can figure out how to place an avatar pic, maybe there will be another maple stock that looks nice to the owner pictured on the site...

Frosted Boolits

That’s a beauty!! Very nice Carl!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Buddy

Carl
    I sold them separate but Cody bought both of them. He also bought another interesting barrel I had. Fred at Bullberry made a 17 Thorpe magnum he called it for a friend of his. It was a 17 cal barrel that fired . 177 pellets inserted into the chamber and fired by a 209 shotgun primer.

Good luck with your 14 cal swagging project.

I'm also on the Saubiers forum as Kylongrifle over there. Keep me in mind if you get some barrels back in stock.

Boolit Mold

Just so you know :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    After I got my 17 Ackley Hornet sorted, I really thought I wanted a 14 caliber something or other. (In what I hope is an un-insulting way of saying this) I am glad I didn't, because I just don't have the time/money/skill set for the bullet manufacturing. They really are interesting though, and for years I wondered if there were 12s. Now I know...

In a serious vein: what are the BCs, and how is wind drift in 10-15 at 200?

BTW, FWIW: I think the maple stock looks nice.
    If I can figure out how to place an avatar pic, maybe there will be another maple stock that looks nice to the owner pictured on the site...

TurnipeaterDown, not a bit insulting and brought a good chuckle out of me because I've said the same thing to myself a hundred times

On your question about the wind drift. There are 2 way to fight wind drift. Heavier projectiles or get the bullet there faster. People are often surprised at the lack of wind drift from very high speed rounds. Since the bullet is only impacted by the wind for mere fractions of a second it isn't effected as much as a slower bullet. If you push past 200 yards with the light weight bullets they are slowing down very rapidly and the wind really starts to effect them from there on out.

I would regularly shoot the 14 caliber 17.5 grain bullets on prairie dog shoots out to 300 yards. The wind drift was about the same as the 222 and 223 at the same distances. From 200 yards and under I very rarely dopped much for the wind. On the 8.5 grain to 12.5 grain bullets out to 150 yards I never dope for the wind. You see the bullet blow up the target in the scope before you even know the gun went off. With almost zero recoil you watch it all happen in the scope at those ranges.

Bullet BC's very depending on the bullet tip design. The 17.5 grains have a BC in the .145 range. The 10.5 grain MEFS drop down closer to .135 to .130 range depending on point forming die settings.

Oh and just so you know the guy that built my 12 caliber barrel also made a 10 caliber barrel as well.

The 17 Ackley hornet you have is a very fun shooting round as well.

Wish you the best of luck on your upcoming shoots,

Carl C.

Extreme Accuracy

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle32 View Post
    Carl
    I sold them separate but Cody bought both of them. He also bought another interesting barrel I had. Fred at Bullberry made a 17 Thorpe magnum he called it for a friend of his. It was a 17 cal barrel that fired . 177 pellets inserted into the chamber and fired by a 209 shotgun primer.

Good luck with your 14 cal swagging project.

I'm also on the Saubiers forum as Kylongrifle over there. Keep me in mind if you get some barrels back in stock.

Kylongrifle, now that sounds like a fun gun too! I'll keep you posted on the next batch of 14 barrels. I'm leaning hard on 1 in 7 twist rate as I own and have sold so many of them. They have all done very well for me but the last lot of 1 in 9 twist barrels and the lighter bullets has flared my interest in the over bore 14's and the very light weight bullets too.

I'll keep you posted on results for both in hopes it helps you with whatever build you decide to go with.

I have a 14 TCM Extreme cartridge build that I'm very interested to get more results from. I spent a lot of time designing the reamer so I sure hope it isn't a flop....

Stay on target,

Carl C.

Extreme Accuracy

Carl,
    Thanks for the info on the 14. Neat.

I did take the 17AH on a couple week long PD shoots, it was very good for me to 200 yd w/ 18 gr Berger MEF @ 3800, and to 250 yd w/ the 20 HP Berger @ 3650. 20" Carbine TC Contender, old 6x Weaver K6 dot & hair scope that came of granddad's 30-06 deer rifle when I inherited it.

I did also take the std 22-250 on PD shoot trips, and a big 6 mm off a 280 Rem Imp case. I did most shooting w/ 22-250, but that 6 left a lasting impression when it got used on one unfortunate PD at about 70 yds when a 55 Nosler started at 4350 fps connected.

When the barrel fried on the 250, I put a 1:9 on it and I use 68 & 75 Hornady HPBTs now at 3250.
    Never got back to the PDs w/ a 6-250 IMP I built (1:12), but it does shoot well.

Thanks for the interesting thread and pictures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12