Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 Caliber jacketed bullets?

Boolit Mold

12 Caliber jacketed bullets?

Is anyone on here still making 12 caliber jacketed lead core bullets? I’m fighting trying to reduce jackets to 12 caliber and wanted to check here for information rather than reinventing the wheel.

I reduce a lot of jackets down to 14 caliber but reducing jackets down to 12 caliber has been a challenge. I'm hoping someone on here might have already found a way to complete it with better results.

Thanks for any information you might have,

Carl C.

Extreme Accuracy

Boolit Master

uncle dino in the vendor section makes 12g slugs, mighty fine pieces, almost to nice to send down range
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Frosted Boolits

I think he’s talking 12 cal, not 12 ga. You know, like smaller than 17 and 14 cal lol!! Way too small for my fat fingers lol.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master

well that would defiantly change things
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Mold
    Yeah, sorry I'm looking to see if anyone on here is working with the 12 caliber bullets. .125" bore.

I've been struggling trying to step the 14 caliber jackets down for my 12 caliber rifle. From 17 to 14 has been pretty straight forward but dropping them down for the 12 caliber has been a challenge. I've tried re-annealing the jackets and even reducing in a 2 stage die but have had troubles with jacket punctures and copper stretch.

I thought some of the guys shooting the 12's might have dabbled with this already and found a fix.

Thanks to anyone that might have some help,

Carl C.

Extreme Accuracy

Boolit Buddy
    Help me understand, who makes these guns and what are they used for?
    Thank you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax111 View Post
    Help me understand, who makes these guns and what are they used for?
    Thank you.
    ^^^ Yes - Enquiring minds want to know. Did a quick Google and only 12 Gauge came up. ^^^^

My corbin core mold for making .224 from 22LR as jackets is only 0.185 - still quite a bit larger than OP's desire for made projectiles.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Mold

I'm shooting a 12 Squirrel which is a 22 Hornet based cartridge.

The 12 calibers are custom guns. To my knowledge there are no big production 12 caliber makers. The one I'm looking to swage the jacketed bullets for uses a 22 Hornet case as its parent cartridge. The round is called a 12 Squirrel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image_2023-02-23_190242685.png  

Boolit Master

That is a neat cartridge. How about posting a pic or two of the shooting iron it fits. And some info on the maker, cartridge history, etc.

Boolit Bub
    who makes barrels for this caliber?

Boolit Mold

12 Caliber squirrel

Is there a trick to getting pictures to upload to this site? I've been trying to upload more pictures of the gun as well but it keeps having errors uploading them.

Carl C.

Extreme Accuracy

I have been puzzled by my lack of picture upload capability too. Cursory review of several threads leads me to believe it's a file size issue, and reducing the resolution w/ a photo editor / transfer tool might do the trick, though have not tried (intend to soon). Phones often have high res, high file size, pictures these days. Seems a handy way to get them from phone to site would be to email them to a PC, or even back to yourself, first. That should give the opportunity to reduce file size when sending.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Accuracy View Post
    Is there a trick to getting pictures to upload to this site? I've been trying to upload more pictures of the gun as well but it keeps having errors uploading them.

Carl C.

Extreme Accuracy
    Edit the files to smaller size before you upload them.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    I use shrinkpicturesdotcom. As long as you do one at a time, it’s free.

Select, upload, choose size (350 to 600 megapixels[?] is the range I use), select “Best” for quality and download the result to your desktop. Then you can “manage attachments” and put it on this site.

There is a limit to how much space you can use for pictures here, in total. I have to go through and remove old stuff occasionally so I can post new stuff. I don’t use hosting sites, which (I guess) offer infinite space for photos and videos. The prospect of another high tech rabbit hole, with the associated setup drill, doesn’t thrill me much any more.

I guess the ever-increasing resolution of these phone cameras imbues the computer enthusiasts with the illusion of “progress,” but it seems to me I could already project my obsolete Version 5.0 photos on Half Dome from a mile away and still not notice any graininess. And then I have to shrink them anyway for posting. Reminds me of the horsepower race on the “muscle cars” back in the ‘70s. “Where are they now?”

The only site I’ve noticed that gets into subcaliber loading and shooting is Saubierdotcom. They may have a supplier list.

Boolit Buddy

Carl
    I use a free app called "PicSay" it's one of those services where you can and things to the picture. But I use it on all my forum sites. You go to PicSay and download a picture. It gives you three options fast (low res) normal and high res. I use the fast and it works on all the forums I'm on.

Boolit Buddy

Carl I forgot to ask about you 14 calibers. Do you have a source for the 14 caliber barrels? I had a 14 Walker Hornet and a 14-221 Walker in Contender pistol barrels but sold them years ago because of lack of bullets available. The only source I knew of back then was Reeds.
    I would love to get another 14 Hornet based caliber. I do have a 17 squirrel Contender pistol now.

Mike

Boolit Buddy

Here's a picture of a 14 Walker Hornet, 17 Hornady Hornet and the good ole 22 Hornet side by

sideClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1677254984-picsay.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	310866

Boolit Master

Me thinks I would consider swaging .12 bullets using copper wire for this .12 product. I would cut copper wire cores to weight; then heat treat anneal them to make as soft. This thinking based on the movement to mostly copper projectiles for the 5.56 and other rounds used by military and California complaint applications. Doubtful one would break a die as the Copper Core would be extremely small compared to the die body size.

Copper Wire potential for use as a core in this application:

AWG (American Wire Gauge) - 10 = 0.1019"
    AWG (American Wire Gauge) - 11 = 0.0907"
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you! This is very interesting.

Boolit Mold

I hope this works.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    That is a neat cartridge. How about posting a pic or two of the shooting iron it fits. And some info on the maker, cartridge history, etc.
    I built the rifle using a Remington 591 action. It has some heavy modifications to the bolt to have the Hornet bolt face and to turn it into centerfire. (It was one of the few very short actions that can handle the high barrel pressures and short cartridges.) My father built the curly maple stock for it. In my opinion the stock makes for a great looking rifle. (Yeah i know about opinions )

I slow rust blued the barrel and action and it seemed to really go well together with the stock to me.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though….

Carl C.
    Extreme Accuracy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12 caliber Pic#1 test.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast