Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee TL356-124-2R, not bad at all

Lee TL356-124-2R, not bad at all

I've been avoiding this mold forever since I've read a lot of bad about it, leading, tumbling, poor accuracy, etc. etc. Reports have been about 50/50. I recently put together a budget AR9 and discovered none of my boolit castings would chamber unless loaded way too short. As a matter of fact the only factory ammo I had that would chamber was the Remington 115 FMJ and they even contacted the lands. None of my factory 124's would even come close to chambering either. I took a chance on the this Lee mold and was quite pleased at the results. Though it had to be seated to an OAL of 1.075" to chamber, all went well. I didn't do any work-ups since I just wanted to see if they'd function the rifle and also make it to the target without tumbling, but the one each load using 4 different powders all functioned great. A few even resembled groups. Now to cast a few hundred more and do some proper ladder testing.

Boolit Master

Very good! I never cared for the tumble design until I started to PC. I have found them to work very well when used with PC.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I cast and shoot that same Boolit.
    I too PC them and they shoot way better.

Forgot to say they weigh nearly 130 grains after PC. Sized them to .357" which is only about a half thou over groove so I'll probably bump them up to .358" next go around. Going to give them a try in a couple 38 Super pistols also.

I use this bullet in my 9MM hand gun. Cast from my scrap WW it comes out at 127grs. When tested for hardness I get a 10.5 BHN. Shoot great out of my pistol at about 1000fps. So fat I haven't coated these bullets, because they shoot so well.

Boolit Mold
    I’m a complete newbie. This is the first mold I bought. Just some of these yesterday, mine seemed to be dropping good bullets right from the start. Going to try to powder coat some this weekend. Hope I can get some starting groups like those!!

Boolit Buddy

BC17A those boolits look great, who's powder coat are you using and what color please?

Quote Originally Posted by Ia.redneck View Post
    BC17A those boolits look great, who's powder coat are you using and what color please?
    Powder by the pound turquoise green. I spray with an ES gun so I'm not sure if shake and bake would work as good as smoke's tested powders.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    The 45 version is my go to for 45acp. Good bullet.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I have found most AR9s could benefit for a better forcing cone. Many of my 9mm loadings I have used for years in pistols of various makes needed to be adjusted in seating depth, and thus charge, to accomodate the shorter throat.

That said, I've got one of these molds - a 15+ year old 2cavity. Never liked it, even in pistols. These days I stick with the 358402 and MP357-125-HP. Both seem to work well enough for my needs.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    That bullet with 5.3 gr Power Pistol will put 10 shots into less than 1.5" at 50 yards in my Camp 9. Wheel weights with a little bit of foundry type for about 4% antimony then powder coated.

When I went to South Dakota a few years ago for pheasant I took the Camp 9 for a truck gun. We happened upon a prairie dog town and I had a 1-4x scope with drop lines on it. Bottom drop line is 600 yards with a M4 and with the 9mm it was 192. I guessed the prairie dogs to be about 200 yards with a 10-15mph cross wind. I put the bottom drop line an inch above the first dog and about 15 inches left and drilled one on the first shot. It turned into a very fun hour and we forgot all about those chinese ditch parrots until the closer prairie dogs went into hiding.

I think its the truncated cone 9mm mold that some have reported tumbling issues. It tumbled on me depending on what powder I used. The round nose 2R is my standard 9mm boolit and just plain works. Easy to cast, easy to load and accurate at all different speeds in my KKM barreled Glocks.

Good grief, I've been using these since i started casting, great boolits.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would be feeling good about that group with AA#7 and spend some time fine tuning it.

You are off to a great start with this. Keep us posted.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Good grief, I've been using these since i started casting, great boolits.
    So I made reference to two bullets in my post. You responded directly after my post. Please clarify which "these" you are referring to.

Not sure how much of a difference on accuracy pierced primers would make but I found at least half of them like this. Pulled the firing pin and found it boogered up. Sent an email to ARDiscounts last week but got tired of waiting on a response so I ordered one from PSA so I can get back out and do more load testing.

Last edited by BC17A; 02-27-2023 at 07:35 PM.

Made it back to the range yesterday and had lots of loads to test. The carbine seems to prefer slower powders with the Lee boolits and velocities in the 1350 fps range. Didn't have one acceptable group using Bullseye, Green-Dot, Sport Pistol, Titegroup, Power Pistol or BE-86. Surprisingly the Blue-Dot loads that I didn't think would perform actually did extremely well. Going to try Longshot next time out.

I'm surprised you didn't try Unique; maybe they don't have it where you live.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast