RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Old Zero bullets

Boolit Master

Old Zero bullets

I came across some old (as in probably 60 + years old) Zero 38 cal. cast lead bullets from my dads old reloading stuff still in the box. Marked on the box, 148 Gr. (swaged) WCHB 38 Caliber. I called Zero to see if I could get any info on these since the coating on them is a bit strange and I was told they used to use a graphite coating many years ago. Anyone know anything about these and would YOU use them in your guns? Zero has actually offered to exchange them with modern bullets at no charge if I want. Sorry for the poor pic quality but it is tough getting good pics of a very dull bullet!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0454s.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	310742

Name:	IMG_0453s.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	310743

Name:	IMG_0452s.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	310744

Boolit Master
    The old Speer swaged lead bullets are dark - and I have some .45 225gr slugs made by Alberts that are almost black. I suspect they used graphite or a similar dark lube that could be used dry.

Boolit Grand Master

Shot lots of those back in my PPC days. Classic load for 38 SPL used was 2.7 gr Bullseye with the bullet seated flush. They did have a graphite based lune on them. I would probably give them a very light coat of LLA and load them over the same 2.7 gr Bullseye. They were very good shooting bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Thats what I wanted to hear, I have a bottle of the LLA that I have never used. Guess this is a good place to start. But will the LLA stick to the graphite? If it doesn't then I doubt I will have any leading issues. I was actually planning on shooting these out of my 357 magnum.

I'd load them and shoot some of 'em in .38Spec. just like they are.
    Graphite shouldn't be an issue like old wax lube does.
    If you get some Leading, then relube them.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-20-2023 at 06:23 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Back in the late 60's? I bought about 500 of these bullets and loaded them in my first Model 15 S&W. Made for very accurate .38 Special loads and as already stated they seem to do best when loaded flush with the case mouth and taper crimped--lightly. I used 2.5 grains of Bullseye powder in my loads as I just used them for practice. I even loaded a few with the hollow base reversed to make a super hollow point. I never shot them at anything but short distances, but they were fairly accurate at 25 feet and under. They did tend to lead a little but I don't think that was as much a fault of the bullet as it was of the wrong diameter. I never slugged the bore of that pistol, not being lead "litterate" at the time. Try them and I think you will like them. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Master
    I have some OLD Star that look like that other than the lube. Those are some of the best target boolits you can shoot in a 52 S&W. If a little dry you could heat the boolits and lightly alox and let dry. If a little dirty I would clean with hot soapy water and relube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05130.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Shot lots of those back in my PPC days. Classic load for 38 SPL used was 2.7 gr Bullseye with the bullet seated flush. They did have a graphite based lune on them. I would probably give them a very light coat of LLA and load them over the same 2.7 gr Bullseye. They were very good shooting bullets.
    Me, too!! I used a lot of these and similar Speer bullets, because they were cheaper than Remington's. I still have a couple of boxes of Speer HBWC's downstairs some place.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.