Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaky hands

That's good.
    I'd keep looking and learning about it too.
    Maybe something as simple as an excess of salt or sugar might be making it worse.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

There is deep brain stimulation for Parkenson's. I don't know if it is used for essential tremors, but it might be. Ask your doctor to check it out. Ten years ago it was research, just last week I heard an advertisement for an application locally. It is out for clinical use.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I shake enough that my signature looks like something done by a drunk monkey.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    Taichi, yoga, other exercises, keep moving, sometimes acupressure, maybe acupuncture - all work for many nerve/muscle problems. Mostly I believe in the USE IT or LOSE IT philosophy, I am 73. Sometimes it hurts but just sitting still does not fix much.

Yeah, that "pain is weakness leaving the body" stuff is for the inexperienced that still believe it.

Boolit Master
    i have multifocal motor neuropathy (mmn) and have lost a lot of hand strength. Used to have really strong hands from pounding stakes in the ground and popping manhole covers. I may try one of those hand grip thing a ma bobs.....
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Check your prescription meds for possible side effects. I had been taking Omeprazole for acid reflux. I can't pinpoint when I started having hand tremors but I can state for sure they stopped very shortly after running out of Omeprazole between refills. It's been over a month now not having the shakes. My symptoms were getting worse about 2 months ago. I was at a Steel Challenge match & was shaking so bad on the first stage I thought the RO might ask me to leave.

Boolit Mold
    My brother and I have familial tremors i'm 63 and he is 74 it gets worse with age, We are both on propranolol and it helps. Its not easy.

Boolit Master
    I told my neurologist. He called it benign non-essential tremor. I am 73. He said, with all honesty, drink some alcohol. The tremors are not severe enough for medication. I have not tried the alcohol. My shooting is negatively affected but I feel funny drinking some wine and then shooting.

I mentioned this to a friend, and he asked if I remember so-and-so who moved away. I said yes and my friend said the wine worked for him and negated the tremors.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I don’t usually have tremors, but have noticed that when I write things down, my handwriting doesn’t look near as good as it used to. Also the numbers I write down don’t come out looking the way I want a lot of the time.

I’m not very old but struggle with tremors here and there, for me I found out caffeinated beverages was the main culprit. I was boneheaded when my wife said that I should stop caffeine and they’d go away……I finally tried it and she was right as usual haha

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    There is deep brain stimulation for Parkenson's. I don't know if it is used for essential tremors, but it might be. Ask your doctor to check it out. Ten years ago it was research, just last week I heard an advertisement for an application locally. It is out for clinical use.
    It is. My wife had DBS implant surgery in 2021 for her essential (sometimes referred to as familial) tremors. She was on meds for several years, neurologist increased dosage gradually until maxed out and would not control the tremors, they were so bad she couldn't write, put on makeup, put earrings in, etc.

Today her tremors are mostly gone but still show up some if stressed. DBS has improved her life.

Moderator Emeritus

Try making fists and quickly flicking your fingers 10 times in succession. Do the same with your toes. It will strengthen little used muscles.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Doctors are sure pill pushers, but I haven’t found anything as effective to take their place. Exercise might do a world of good they say. I haven’t found one condition, symptom, diseases they couldn’t control, without many side effects. But the money involved!

Boolit Master

I have strange symptoms I am 80 and I noticed over the last few years that I had medium amounts of shaking but not very often. Then today I was getting a cavity filled and I have shoulder pain in my right shoulder. So I moved my arm around and it worked for a while. But sometimes I would noticed that some of the positions caused the shake to stop! Figure that one out!
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Bub
    Going through this with my wife, who’s in her mid-50s. Two years ago, she had several traumatic incidents - dog bite that led to blood poisoning and a week in the hospital, then a few months later, her new car (like, 3600 miles new) was totaled by a driver who refused to yield, breaking Jamie’s wrist in seven places. You guessed it, a few months after that? Covid.

Long story short, over the last 15 months, she’s developed essential tremors, and we’ve spent thousands chasing them. What has finally begun to work was a very strict keto diet and - oddly enough, a diagnosis that she had developed an auto-immune disease known as Hishimoto’s Disease, which usually attacks the thyroid. Now, her doctor has her on several other prescriptions short term, but one of the smoking guns from testing was her hormones were all out of whack. What actually caused the tremors? Some drs. Say it was a weird sort of PTSD from the year we had, some said it was hormone imbalances and the sugar and carbs in her diet. All I can say is within only a few days of watching the foods she ate and the things she drank (neither of us drink alcohol), she began to see improvements in the tremors, and we are both very thankful.

Cree

Boolit Master
    I've got it bad. Its embarrassing out in public.

Boolit Master

I am 76 and have quieted my hand tremors with tequila and upscale imported beer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12