WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lubing shot with Ben's Liquid Lube, or similar.

Lubing shot with Ben's Liquid Lube, or similar.

As the title says, is it a brilliant move or are you guys laughing up you sleeves at the moron?

Going to try and load up some 45 ACP shotshells using 308 cases. The case forming and loading is easy. Trim to length, form the neck with 41 Mag dies for the plunk test, then load.

Naked, un-lubed shot. Sounds painful.

Sounds like a prescription for a leaded barrel. I've read about the cut down .410 wads being used. I have the wads and have loaded regular .410's for years.

I'm hoping to simplify loading, a card wad I believe would be easier to insert than a plastic wad.

And greater capacity, I should be able to get 3 or 4 extra #9's in using the card wad. Serious additional payload here.

The hope is I can break a couple of the ten birds spread across station one, seven and eight on skeet. Those extra 3 or 4 pellets just might get me bragging rights.

The rest of the stations will be with a for real skeet gun.
    Last edited by 15meter; 02-20-2023 at 06:20 PM.

I doubt that there is sufficient pressure/friction to cause leading. And the rifling will impart an added force on the shot that will more than likely make the pattern less than ideal. A column wad however will protect the shot. Of course, the wad will track the rifling so it will spin and spin the shot charge as well. I suspect your pattern will spread rapidly upon leaving the barrel. TC tried to correct that with a choke tube that screwed to the end of a rifled barrel. Have not seen one in years. Not sure if they still make them.

As a side note, many years ago, a guy showed up on trap night when only a couple shooters were there. He had a Texas derringer in .45/.410. The trap house root was poured concrete. He stood on the roof and shot at the birds as they exited. I got there just after they were done. They said they hit a few. I'm not sure I believe them. I also did not feel I missed anything as shooting a .410 in a derringer does not sound like a lot of fun.
    Regards,
    Rob

Boolit Master
    I have shot Skeet Station 1 incomers with CCI 44 Mag shot ctgs

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeoil View Post
    As a side note, many years ago, a guy showed up on trap night when only a couple shooters were there. He had a Texas derringer in .45/.410. The trap house root was poured concrete. He stood on the roof and shot at the birds as they exited. I got there just after they were done. They said they hit a few. I'm not sure I believe them. I also did not feel I missed anything as shooting a .410 in a derringer does not sound like a lot of fun.
    This is a "there's no ice to go sailing and I need to stick close to the shed while the sap is boiling weather" project.

I like the challenge of it and 45 ACP shot loads out of a full sized 1911 shouldn't be hand crushers. I read more where it is a challenge to get the pistol to cycle. Push them to fast and you blow the pattern, not unlike real shotguns.

Remember I'm the guy that dug out two 444's to try and neck down last week just because somebody posed a question about 256 Winchester's from 444 Marlins.

And it's getting time to top off the pot with sap.

Again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    As the title says, is it a brilliant move or are you guys laughing up you sleeves at the moron?

Going to try and load up some 45 ACP shotshells using 308 cases. The case forming and loading is easy. Trim to length, form the neck with 41 Mag dies for the plunk test, then load.

Sounds like a prescription for a leaded barrel. I've read about the cut down .410 wads being used. I have the wads and have loaded regular .410's for years.

I'm hoping to simplify loading, a card wad I believe would be easier to insert that a plastic wad.

And greater capacity, I should be able to get 3 or 4 extra #9's in using the card wad. Serious additional payload here.

The hope is I can break a couple of the ten birds spread across station one, seven and eight on skeet. Those extra 3 or 4 pellets just might get me bragging rights.

The rest of the stations will be with a for real skeet gun.
    15 meter,
    I agree with you, "unlubed shot sounds painful." By ALL means avoid DRY SPOTS! LOL.
    Adam

Boolit Grand Master
    I would use some spray lube that dries quickly

Boolit Master
    Plastic wads, Try using the wad loading fingers from a shot gun loading press,
    the wads should slip right in, if you can hold the fingers back from following the wad in ??

Boolit Bub
    Having used 45acp shot loads made from 308 for pest control some 8 years now, I can say they will lead some. Not as bad as improperly sized or under lubed but flakely leading nonetheless. Lubing may help but doesn’t seem worth it to me. Maybe just carry a pull through with bristles after a few rounds. Have fun trying out. Best wishes.

Boolit Grand Master
    I wonder if the lubed shot will clump together upon firing?

I think any shot that actually contacts the rifling lands will be lost from the pattern, so I don't think the slight added shotload will help density anyway.

The best way to prove the theory would be to load some up both ways i.e .410 shot cup and no shotcup, then pattern test and count the holes.

Good luck and keep us posted on the results,

Robert

If you had an old 1911 barrel, that had really worn rifling, almost as if someone had took a hone to it, I think that might improve patterns.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Quote Originally Posted by Doughty View Post
    If you had an old 1911 barrel, that had really worn rifling, almost as if someone had took a hone to it, I think that might improve patterns.
    Curious how much rifling you need to keep from running afoul of the smooth bore pistol problem.

Isn't no smooth bore pistols a prohibition from prohibition

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post

It was painful, three shots, nicely leaded bore, barrel is currently soaking in Wipeout. See how that works on lead.

The first three test rounds fired and patterned better than I expected. If these were snake rounds, at typical snake distances I suspect they would be DOA. Being skeet rounds, I suspect I will have enough of a pattern to not be skunked on station 1, 7 and 8. I am positive the rest of the stations would be skeet's equivalent of urinating up cordage.

6 grains of Unique, almost, but no seegar kind of operated the slide. All three fed from the magazine perfectly. Next try is with 6.5 grains.

And shot that has been Ben's Liquid Lubed.