Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Ribs and kraut

Ribs and kraut

This is a great way to do about any kind of ribs. I've done it with St. Louis and baby back.

Preheat oven to 550, salt (I used Lawry's) and pepper ribs, lay them in a 9x13 pan, and cook for 20 minutes. Take them out, drain the fat out of the pan, then mix a diced onion, two diced apples, a jar of sauerkraut, and a couple of Tbsp of brown sugar in the pan.

Turn the oven down to 350, lay the ribs on top of the kraut mix, sprinkle a.little brown sugar on them, and put them in the oven for 2 hours.

This has become our favorite rib recipe.

sounds like Sunday dinner at my older relatives - diced green apples also go well with kielbasa + kraut -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy

Great combo Do similar recipes in dutch oven ccamping with friends. GW

Boolit Master

One of my favorites. We have been eating Creamed Chicken over Cornbread quite often the last couple of years too.
    Take care,
    Rick

Moderator Emeritus

I always have a big bag of rib trim in fall after trimming spare ribs to St Louis cut all summer. I just keep adding to the bag in the freezer. I cut them into smaller length pieces, brown in a 450 oven with just S&P(easy on the salt, kraut adds a LOT) then load into a deep baking dish and pour 2 jars of kraut on top. Sprinkle with instant mashed potato(thickener) and mix that all together and bake at 350 until rib tips are falling apart. A lot of the meat will fall off the cartilage/bone and you can either pick the rest off and mix in or serve with the cartilage/bone to be picked over as you eat(I am lazy so... LOL). Use a little more instant mashed if not thick enough... you want the liquid to be gravy like. I serve over mashed potato with a huge pat of butter on top of it all...

Yes this is unhealthy, I also only eat it 2 days a year...

Using airlock fermenting jars for veggies from the garden. Might try making kraut this year.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fourarmed View Post
    This is a great way to do about any kind of ribs. I've done it with St. Louis and baby back.

Preheat oven to 550, salt (I used Lawry's) and pepper ribs, lay them in a 9x13 pan, and cook for 20 minutes. Take them out, drain the fat out of the pan, then mix a diced onion, two diced apples, a jar of sauerkraut, and a couple of Tbsp of brown sugar in the pan.

Turn the oven down to 350, lay the ribs on top of the kraut mix, sprinkle a.little brown sugar on them, and put them in the oven for 2 hours.

This has become our favorite rib recipe.
    It's even better if it's homemade kraut. Dad used to do deer ribs like that. UMM good. Serve it with boiled or roasted potatoes. Love that stuff!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

Giving it a try tonight.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Use a similar recipe just brown ribs then put all in pressure cooker for 30 minutes. Same for sausage and kraut both with potatoes...