MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Scout scope on a Contender

Scout scope on a Contender

Today I got the bright idea to try mounting a scout scope on one of my Contenders, to be able to shoot it with a more bent arm position and not at full arm extension or close like a rifle scope. Anybody out there tried that? What did you think of the experience?

Boolit Master
    Why not just use a regular handgun scope?

Arms are too short.

Boolit Master

As the eyes aged, I wrote myself a blank check for optics to keep the shooting fun going. Best I can offer is to find a retailer with a generous return policy and give it a go…

Boolit Buddy
    If you need a bit less eye relief than a full blower pistol scope, the scout should work. I have one Burris pistol scope that has enormous eye relief, the only way I can shoot it is Creedmoor, where it works great.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Arms are too short.
    Were you born with short arms or are they short because of your eyesight?
    If it is eyesight I can use Varilux lens glasses and shoot them.

Boolit Buddy

There are very few pistol scopes available nowdays. Leupold and Burris still make a couple but pretty high dollar for some of us. I have been looking and found one but few and far between GW

Boolit Master
    I have both the Burris SCOUT 2-7 model and the same one marked pistol...I can see no difference in the eye relief between the two...

All the dedicated pistol scopes I have owned, and it is a bunch, have had a very wide eye relief...

Bob

I used Bushnell Phantom (pistol scopes) for "scout" scopes on a couple of rifles. Not aware that anybody ever made a "scout" scope with shorter eye relief.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

I used to use a 12X Burris IER (Intermediate Eye Relief) scope on my Contender in 7mm Intl. Rimmed years ago and it worked just fine for me. That being said I have and still use a Weaver V10 on my 7mm TCU 14" with standard eye relief. The trick is to PRACTICE with it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I used a bushnell 4 x 12 40mm rifle scope with a bdc on a contender 22lr 10" bbl.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I used that setup to go against the rifle shooters for smallbore silhouettes. I used a modified taco hold while standing.

Boolit Master
    Eye relief can be a tricky thing. In general,, handgun scopes are built with the idea of an extended arm. The problem I see shooting "bent arm" & all is recoil & a poor shooting form. In heavier caliber recoil, a bent arm can cause issues. Plus,, poor form can create bad shooting habits for other types of guns.
    I'd prefer handgun scopes,, and work on a set of mounts to allow a better eye relief than using the bent arm method. JMO,, you are the shooter,, and it's your choices.

Boolit Buddy
    A good thread! I recently bought a Burris 2-7 scout scope for use on an M1 Garand. Maybe it'll also work on a handgun?

By bent arm I mean off a benchrest. And it will be on a 22 hornet so no recoil issues to deal with. I do use rifle scopes on my silhouette pistols (or red dot sights) but just playing around with this hornet I thought I'd try something different. If I had a pistol scope with maybe 6 inches less eye relief it would be about right so that's why I thought about scout scopes. I've looked through some on rifles but never tried one on a pistol.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3 of the vortex scout scopes on 3 of my pistols contenders and cva pistols. They work very well for me especially out of a stand. The pistol scopes work better if you are extending your arm to full length. I have well over 30 of these pistol scopes. Also the scout scope seems to pick up light better at dusk than some of the pistol scopes. As has been said pistol scopes are getting harder to find since Bushnell,Nikon stopped making them and now Weaver has only one.Good luck with yours and hope it does what you want it for.

Boolit Mold
    Have a Nikon 2.5x8 EER Monarch uuc rifle scope on a 218 Bee contender.Dont really care for it.Going back to regular handgun scope.