Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hearing protection

Boolit Master

Overall, my hearing is probably better than expected after 40-some years of competitive shooting and two tours in Nam riding shotgun as a UH-1 crewchief but I do have a significant loss in the higher frequency ranges...like I don't hear that squeaky 'beep' sound used in a lot of alarms and timers at all.

I've been using a pair of custom-molded ear plugs for 30-some years...back when I was shooting conventional pistol, a shooting buddy's daughter, a clinical audiologist, made them up for our whole team. For handgun (except for my TC Contenders I very rarely shoot anything the might considered 'Magnum'), the plugs alone seem to suffice. For rifle work, I do add a pair of muffs...mostly to block out the lateral blast from the muzzle-brakes.

I'm like charlie b, having shot center-fire rifle since my early teens and, except for an original Colt HBAR I had years ago, never owned a rifle with a brake, I don't see why they've become so indespensible today...'specially on something like an AR that has no appreciable recoil, anyway.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Sordin supreme X now - that SIL gave me for Christmas a couple yrs ago. I generally don't turn them on. Had slim Howard light muffs before, decent but sordin is much better. Was around big guns for several yrs along with a loud band, hearing was good till I got old. Can't hear the TV transformer whine anymore.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    What the gentleman from West Virginia said. Try foam plugs under ear muffs. If that works for you then get the moulded plug to wear under muffs.About 10 years ago I got tested and was found to be deaf as a post. Hearing aids let me hear things at normal level. My children prefer that I wear hearing aid when they watch TV with me.

The best hearing protection is a suppressor combined with earmuffs and or earplugs.
    Unfortunately, our government does not care about your hearing.

We ran several scientific tests on hearing protection in the IHMSA, these were published in the Silhouette and the IHMSA News. Result was hearing protection became mandatory at all matches. The very best hearing protection in test after test was a combination of custom hard cast ear plugs made just for your ears, with the electronic high decibel cancelling inserts, coupled with a good pair of ear muffs with their own high decibel cancelling electronics. Neither one by itself does a 100% job, but put them together and you can still hear "normal voice levels" but will be protected. This setup was what I wore for 40+ years as a match director and range master, plus while shooting competition.
    Even a 22 rimfire does permanent hearing damage to unprotected ears.
    I do carry my plugs to rock concerts.

For the first 20 years shooting, I did not pay much attention to hearing protection so I do have crickets today.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    I use these. They have volume control which lets me turn them up so I can hear conversations much better but still reduce shooting noise to a comfortable level. https://www.walkersgameear.com/razor-patriot-series/
    Just ordered these. Should be here tomorrow. Figured for $38 I can't go wrong.

Boolit Master
    I got a couple pair of muffs and electronic muffs but now I mostly use little orange or other disposable one size fits all plugs. much easier to carry and they seem to get the job done and there are no batteries to die or replace.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12