Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Forster Co Ax - Die Locking Ring Does Not Fit

Boolit Master

Forster Co Ax - Die Locking Ring Does Not Fit

I just got a Forster Co Ax press and my die locking rings are not fitting in the slot. I’m wondering if you guys can shed some light on this, but I’m almost certain there’s a machining defect here.
    I measured the slot openings using feeler gages and measured the final feeler gage stack thickness with micrometers.
    Left side: 0.3181” feeler gage stack does not fit.
    0.3175” goes to the ball detent, but not all the way into the slot.
    0.3171” feeler gage stack goes all the way to the back of the slot.
    Right side: 0.3180” feeler gage stack does not fit.
    0.3160” goes about 3/8” in, but then gets stuck.
    0.3152” feeler gage stack goes all the way to the back of the slot.
    The die locking rings thickness varies from 0.3149” to 0.3157”. The thick spot is right over a circular dent when it looks like the pet was held by a paper puncher. If I measure the thickness over the split, I get 0.3184” because of the burr at the split.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	501BF4C9-593F-4D99-A334-EF13D393BB89.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	310652
    The bottom of the sot on the right side has a rough spot, which seems to be the point where the die locking rings do not fit, even if I position the 0.3149” section there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B5F7EC5A-339A-4A68-93A9-3D58F4158417.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	310651

Boolit Buddy
    Buy Bonanza dies. Hornady rings will fit, RCBS, some fit, most don't. Older Lees, nope. Lee ratchets I don't have, so can't say. Lyman, nope. One of three Reddings fit, barely.
    This may fall into the category of the Bugatti that wouldn't start on cold mornings. Upon Complaining to Mr. Bugatti, the irate customer was told "If you can afford a Bugatti, you can afford a heated garage". Bugattis=Duesenburgs in value, and quality, then and now.

Boolit Grand Master

Set your ring on a flat surface they sometimes are warped around from stress when the spit is cut.

Boolit Buddy
    Some of my rings would not fit, I took some micro grit sandpaper I had with a sticky back and stuck it down on a flat piece of thick glass I had and swirled sanded the rings until they fit, some non bonanza rings will do this, once I sanded down a few thousands I've never had problems with them again.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master
    The die locking ring shown in the picture came with the press, straight from Forster. They aren’t warped. I left a voicemail with the folks at Forster, and will most likely return this unit on Monday. I’m apprehensive about sanding the rings as the two sides may not be parallel anymore. More significant of a concern is the slot width variance. If the whole issue is at the bottom of the slot, then I can file/grind it out and any mistakes would not affect this critical design feature. On the other hand, this machining error makes me concerned that the top of the slot is not true to the case lift, which would defeat the entire purpose for this precision press.

Boolit Grand Master

If you use a flat surface, fine emery cloth, even pressure on the ring, there is little chance of uneven polishing. I have used this method many times for various items (mold sprue plates, mold tops). Did you back out the locking/detent ball? I have about 20 Forster rings and maybe another 15 assorted rings (Hornady, Lee) and none have been measured mainly because there was no need. I have used shims on a few of the odd rings to take up slack, but for my 14 die sets used on my 8 year old Co-Ax none have been too thick. Did you check the slots for burrs?
    Last edited by mdi; 02-20-2023 at 01:11 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Try adjusting the hex setscrew that holds the die in place.

It is just to the left of the die opening at the top of the press.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Boolit Master
    The slots don’t have burrs, but they are very sharp. I would put chamfers there, which could be included in their cutter.
    I entirely removed the ball detent and it made no difference. The tight spot is in the other side.

Boolit Master
    I took a stone to the press and the rings. Everything works now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    I took a stone to the press and the rings. Everything works now.
    Good job.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Thanks Don!

Boolit Mold
    Justindad, I’m having the same issue with the rings not fitting. Can you explain how you fixed yours in more detail.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    Buy Bonanza dies. Hornady rings will fit, RCBS, some fit, most don't. Older Lees, nope. Lee ratchets I don't have, so can't say. Lyman, nope. One of three Reddings fit, barely.
    This may fall into the category of the Bugatti that wouldn't start on cold mornings. Upon Complaining to Mr. Bugatti, the irate customer was told "If you can afford a Bugatti, you can afford a heated garage". Bugattis=Duesenburgs in value, and quality, then and now.
    I own just about any kind of die except Lyman. I use the press only for rifle work, and all of those dies work in the Co-Ax press. I use Forster rings on any die where the factory rings are iffy - about half. I buy them by the 3 or half dozen (?) pack.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.