Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: CB in .270

Boolit Buddy

CB in .270

I have never attempted to shoot cast out of .270 and was curious if anyone has done it with success and if so, what mold and combination? I’m am really struggling to find a decent mold. NOE has a few that look promising but all are out of stock. I’d like something on the heavier side as I will probably end up using this to pop feral hogs.

The Lee C277135 is inexpensive and works just fine in my “baby .270”- the 6.8SPC.
    This is at 100 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    with cast bullets in the 270 I believe you will find the max velocity you can achieve with accuracy using a factory stock rifle twist rate is far short of the potential the 270 win has to offer.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    with cast bullets in the 270 I believe you will find the max velocity you can achieve with accuracy using a factory stock rifle twist rate is far short of the potential the 270 win has to offer.

This is what I was afraid of. Was hoping maybe there was a 160-180gr option I wasn’t aware of. Can’t ever go wrong with a slow heavy boolit.

Was threatening to make a .27 Rimmed using 6.8 dies and 30-30 brass, but had to cancel.
    Heavy sigh, another lovely cast boolit cartridge idea that fell by the way.

So any how, then I had those .270 molds (later sold them) and considered getting a NEF .270 single shot. So, I looked at the SAAMI standard chamber dimensions. From the base of the case neck (where it flairs out to the case shoulder) out to the rifling is 0.728". That's like 2.6 x bullet diameter, a pretty darn good beginning for a boolit design. The hard part could to be finding a real heavy mold that truly fits your bore if you are going to use a bore riding design. NOE has this 165 grainer that appears to take the standard chamber dimensions into consideration.
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/wp-c..._E3_Sketch.jpg

Boolit Master
    I started shooting my 270, a post 64 Mod. 70, with cast a couple years ago. Now I have three molds for it and it shoots all well with iron sights. The molds include an old Lyman 118 gr Loverin style, a new Lee mold (140 gr as it drops from my mold), and an NOE 128 gr mold that makes both GC's and plain base. All but one shot best at about 1800 fps and the other was the real surprise, the plain base at 1350 fps. The plain base is still a work in progress as I learn more about it but it has already produced 1" groups at 50 yards with iron sights and my old eyes. My rifle seems to especially like Red Dot powder and at 1800 fps, should perform nicely on smaller hogs and whitetail out to 125 yards using a softer alloy boolit given my experience with 7mm TCU and 140 gr RFGC's on our local deer. I just checked and Midsouth has that mold in stock as well as gas checks which can be hard to find occasionally.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 02-18-2023 at 03:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Was threatening to make a .27 Rimmed using 6.8 dies and 30-30 brass, but had to cancel.
    Heavy sigh, another lovely cast boolit cartridge idea that fell by the way.

So any how, then I had those .270 molds (later sold them) and considered getting a NEF .270 single shot. So, I looked at the SAAMI standard chamber dimensions. From the base of the case neck (where it flairs out to the case shoulder) out to the rifling is 0.728". That's like 2.6 x bullet diameter, a pretty darn good beginning for a boolit design. The hard part could to be finding a real heavy mold that truly fits your bore if you are going to use a bore riding design. NOE has this 165 grainer that appears to take the standard chamber dimensions into consideration.
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/wp-c..._E3_Sketch.jpg
    thats almost a 7mmwaters......you would just about get away with using those dies and changing out the expander ball....

Super Moderator

You might want to look into paper-patching your boolits for your 270. I've been doing it for many years with my Ruger 77, works like a champ.

Boolit Master
    I have a 120 grain mold and a rcbs 160 gr and lee’s mold for 6.8 . They all shoot decent in my guns but the Lee is the one I like best. Start slow and your gun will let you know when enough is enough. Since I gave up on speed casting has become fun again. Have fun with your 270.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

Years ago, I had Pac-Nor rebarrel a Remington Model 7 to 270 IHMSA (300 Savage necked down) to create a "Mountain Rifle". They used a featherweight barrel contour and a 1 in 8" twist. Recently I have used it to play with cast boolits. I have found that the RCBS 270-150-SP shoots pretty well for me and am still working on developing a "one inch" load for it. Currently I've been using 2400 in it but will be switching to Unique shortly to test it out.

I know the rifle is capable of it!

Last edited by stubshaft; 02-18-2023 at 11:32 PM.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    My Win 70 likes the RCBS 270-150 boolit best. It is 1/10 twist. I have shot it around 2000fps with W748 but it really likes 10 grains of Red Dot/Promo at about 1500fps. Have taken 4 deer over the last 3 or so years with it from 50 ish yards to 120 yards. It shoots around 1 to 1.5 inches @ 100.