Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very Small Cameras to cover barns

Boolit Buddy
    You can't use lethal force to defend property...Those doing the stealing aren't necessarily constrained by those same rules.

The people doing these kinds of crimes around here are more likely to just open fire on you if you confront them then they are to run away. Charging out into the night in your undies to scare them away is a dangerous proposition.

They can shoot you dead and they'll be back out on the street before your corpse even makes it to the morgue...Assuming they even get caught at all.

looked at the Reolink stuff yesterday, seems good but can't download a manual to see how it really works. Don't want to dig the old router out of the closet. Don't want a phone app, just use my computer wifi & browser. Don't know it the rotation or zoom is app controlled or not.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Also put up- broken or dummy cameras so those nefarious varmints won't know what is real or not. Old dead game cameras are perfect. And wire a small 9V battery to a red LED to make it look active.
    I always save my dead cameras for just that. Keep em discombobulated. Plus on ebay there are a hundred fake CHEAP camera gizmo's to worry even the most die hard.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    I took an dissolved a Hershey's Bar with gas, put it in a 2 gal can of gas and left it by the tractor. It was gone the next morning, have not had any problems since. What ever they put the gas in lost it's motor as Hershey's is bad on motors. Will lock them up tight.

Boolit Master
    I can tell you that the Hersheys bar did nothing to the motor. I have been a master mechanic for 50 years and I can't tell you how many cars I had in the shop with sugar in the tank. You want to know the extent of the damage? And this was weeks to months after the sugar was added, a clogged fuel filter. And a rinse out of the tank to prevent future clogged filters. Sugar is water soluble but does absolutely nothing in gasoline. It lays in the bottom of the tank just like sand. The smart vandals would get the filings from brake lathes and put that in the oil. Put enough in and it clogs the filter which then bypasses and the rest of the filings go through the bearings.

But back to the original post. Do you really want to try to catch these people or just stop it from happening? If you put something in there like the SimpliSafe system where the cameras are lit and visible then people will think twice about entering because they know they have been seen and the cops are probably on the way. This avoids confrontation and ends the problem. They will looks elsewhere for gas after that.

Boolit Master

A couple of coworkers put a bar of soap in another's gas tank. The car just barely ran for less than a day before he had to put it in the shop. Not sure what it took to get it running.
    Last edited by ulav8r; 03-20-2023 at 10:09 PM. Reason: correcting a typo
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Where the car stopped and someone got out and used a night vision device probably looking for cameras I found some badly rusted car sheet metal . I do not know if it was the bottom of the door or the rocker panel under the door Dark Blue Metallic paint was the color .
    Found out a neighbor down the road herd them go by real slow no lights . They must be well prepped for this as no backup lights or brake lights when they backed out of drive . In town near here many people are having holes drilled in their car/truck gas tanks to drain gas one lady was at work in daytime when they did it to her.
    Last Time I heard of this much gas theft and drilling gas tanks obama was in office!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    They can afford night vision but need to steal gas? That is fine, if they see the cameras they know they have been seen and will move on. Be sure to have well hidden cameras close t the road to get a good description of the car. Sounds a lot to me like the law really does not care out that way.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    The battery operated night vision cameras don't show up worth spit with a thermal scope, only the hard wired cameras glow fairly well.

Boolit Master

Just a guess but I suspect it was some kind of cheap night vision device or they could have turned off the illumination.
    My night owl cameras have a glow all the time I did not have the trail cam out near the road as usual .
    I have a $200 night vision device and it lets me turn on and select level of illumination at startup .

This county has little law enforcement the vast majority are jail or court guards it is rare to have more then two police cars on the road at anytime .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    If I am not mistaken a cell phone camera will easily pick up the IR LEDS in trail cams and such.

45_Colt
    Last edited by 45_Colt; 04-01-2023 at 12:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Fill half the jug with water and top off with gas.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 Wyze brand cameras I bought off Amazon. I plan to add a 3rd one but that's to get a better idea of what the 4 legged varmints are doing. They're hard wired for power but connect to my internet router for signal and store the videos on their cloud network. Then I can view them on my phone or tablet...

I let it be known to the neighbor that was causing the problem and hinted that I was looking forward to ambushing the gas thieves with a shotgun. I also put a mean looking locking gas door on my Chevy truck. For the past year or so they've left me alone...

Some years back Myth Busters did a segment on things that will screw up an engine and most were BS. If you want to go that rout, it would be worthwhile to look that episode up...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Master
    What I would like is 2 cans of valve grinding compound in the gas and the dip not have a filter on the gas line. His motor blew because he ran it without oil ,it went the same time as my gas went missing, ie. Hershey's Bar.

Couple fronts-

for gasoline you can take two approaches, make the engine run poorly or try to over-pressure the head. The second is probably a slippery slope. Mixing diesel or peanut oil in gas will cause a pretty inefficient burn, as would a paraffin candle or just plain water. This would probably stop an engine or put it in a heavy limp. No real damage. To overpressure an engine could be catastrophic. If you salt the fuel they could come back and pour that fuel into your vehicles or worst - make their own mix.

I used arlo, it sends push notifications to your phone with ~5sec video. At night arlo uses IR so will pick up their IR sources. Can be made to trip on sound or motion and has sensitivities. Paired with an app called IFTT you can turn your smart systems into a "if this then that" statement. Example: I have simple smart 120V relays for household plugs (like $20 on ebay) and hive I think smart garden hose valve. I set an arlo camera on a patch of ground frequented by skunks with the relay on a work light and a sprinkler pointed at the entrance. IFTT was set to [IF arlo motion detected on camera #3 THEN turn on sprinkler AND turn on light] plus a timer [IF light turned on THEN turn off light AND sprinkler after 2 minutes]. With the smart outlets and hose valves you can get pretty clever. Turning on lights, stereos, hoses for air to actuate tons of stuff, water sprinklers, ect. Key is to be offputting enough to make the next guy down the road a better target while not offputting enough to instigate retaliation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12