Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman 358432 - is 148gr or 160gr "Better"?

Lyman 358432 - is 148gr or 160gr "Better"?

For those who cast bullets 358432 from molds, do you like the 148gr or 160gr version better, and why?

I've got a couple of 148gr wadcutter molds, so I was thinking I would like to find a 160gr 358432 at some point for a packin' load for my 4" 38s. I'm not sure that it's better than a 158gr SWC, but since when does that matter when deciding what to cast, load and shoot for fun?

Boolit Master

The SWC would definitely be better if using a speed loader. I have a 358432 in 160; it just has a longer nose than other WC's. it's on the left side of the picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE036C80-EF85-45E0-9D93-BE0A7579084C.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	310588
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6D14EC10-8823-4E9F-A7CE-825D2ADCCBD1.jpg  

Moderator Emeritus

My only thought vs a SWC or a RF is it is much easier to find a multi cavity mold in these than the 432. That is assuming a used lyman not a new NOE. I remember reading that button nose wc's were found to be slightly more accurate than flat nose, and I believe that the larger the meplate the more tissue disruption will occur. I would get the 160 RF NOE if I had to order a mold.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    I have both, and my preference is more about the mold than the boolit. I have found my Lyman 160 grain casts better than the 148 Lachmiller Clone, and it prints a little closer to POA in my fixed sight 38's. But 3.5 grains of Bullseye will tickle your fancy with either.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I have both, and my preference is more about the mold than the boolit. I have found my Lyman 160 grain casts better than the 148 Lachmiller Clone, and it prints a little closer to POA in my fixed sight 38's. But 3.5 grains of Bullseye will tickle your fancy with either.
    And that Lee button nose will Never Miss with 2.8 gr of Bullseye!! Out of any .358 bore on the Farm.. Tho takes a different Powder in Herrett and 35 Remingtons... so Was I the OP...148 is my recommendation...

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    And that Lee button nose will Never Miss with 2.8 gr of Bullseye!! Out of any .358 bore on the Farm.. Tho takes a different Powder in Herrett and 35 Remingtons... so Was I the OP...148 is my recommendation...
    I think a six cavity Lee 148 is on my shopping list at some point. Someone had one for sale the other day over in the swap section. I should see if it's still there...

Boolit Master
    I have both as well, the key to the 358432 is loaded with about the same load data as the ubiquitous .38 lead round nose (358311) to net you a "full power/velocity" Wadcutter.

Neither one is wrong for putting/plinking around but I would give the edge to the SWC as a better all around bullet...