Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 years later

100 years later

I bought this 1922 vintage 1916 Oviedo Mauser last year for $100. It’s just like one I bought in 1973 for $40. Neither one would keep a magazine full of factory 7mm ammo on a dinner plate at 50 yards.
    SO, I removed the dark old oval bore 7x57 barrel today.
    I have aquired a used Tikka T3 25-06 barrel to shorten and re-thread to fit; then cutting a .257Roberts chamber.
    I will use the original cut down stock and trigger at first, then restock it later and install a Timney.
    I was not concerned about the old barrel, so forgive the hacksaw relief cut and wrench marks- it came off with one arm instead of two…
    Forgive the dark pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Projects like that are so much fun. Luckily there's still some aftermarket sporterizing stuff like triggers, safeties & stocks still available for small rings. The 257 Roberts is a great round, but last year I had the opposite experience from you. (Your rifle started out shooting bad, mine ended up shooting bad) I put a Numrich 257 Roberts barrel on a 98 Turkish action and built it into a sporter. The rifle looks beautiful, but it groups terribly. Since all the work's already been done on it, it looks amazing but won't shoot worth a darn, it looks like I'll be getting a 257 barrel blank and make up a new barrel for it. Were both going to be working on a 257 Bob.

Boolit Master
    You could turn in that old barrel at one of the lib exchange programs and get $100...just sayin' <LOL>

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not to have the ability or motivation to undertake a project like that. I admire those with the wherewithal to "get r done" and have a successful result. Hope it works out for you.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Take photo's ! Love to follow stories like this. Good luck.

I would love to be able to do gunsmithing like that. Unfortunately my craftsmanship is limited to what I can do with a wood rasp and a hammer.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Well, sometimes plans change.
    For decades I have bartered goods and services with my machinist brother in exchange for barrel work. He recently told me that he is retiring and selling his business.
    So, I was talking about it with a buddy in Kentucky….
    And he just happened to have a 38 Swedish 6.5x55 barrel that had been lathe practice ugly out but primo in…..
    So, that ugly barrel went right on and headspace is proper.
    Not worried about looks, I JB welded a Weaver base to the barrel. An extension ring holds the K2.5 to where I have a field of view and it clears the bolt.
    Shooting commenced with a starting load of Varget with 120 gr Sierra bullets.
    At 40 yards, the first two made one hole. I adjusted the windage, and the next two made one hole.
    At 100 yards with a low powered scope, I’m not ashamed of the group on the half inch grid target.
    A little paint, and it will hunt.
    For now, I’ll call it “Stick” as in short for uglystick…..
    Some day I may do the full sporter thing to it with a new barrel and stock and scopewise modifications……..
    And I may not

Boolit Grand Master

I would rather have a "stick" that is accurate far more than an "eye candy" marvel that needs to be in the barn to hit a wall.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Glad it worked out for you ! Jedman

Boolit Master
    I have also been experimenting with 120 gr Sierra’s in my Swede carbine. I’ve had this little rifle for almost 30 years and have pretty much stuck with Hornady 129’s and IMR 4064. Some how I acquired the 120’s and since I’m running low on the 129’s I decided to give the combo a try. I was going to use Varget, like you, but decided to go with H4831 instead. I have a 4X Leupold on this rifle but still my groups have been very good so far. My average velocity has been 2665 fps with a 13 SD. As you develop your Varget load I will be interested in seeing your results.

This group was with the 120gr Sierras over 3031 powder. 100 yards shooting as fast as I could from the bags. Aiming point was the faded black area right of the floor plate.

To further pimp it up, I found an old steel trigger shoe that fits it well enough to make the 4 lb pull feel lighter than it is.

The crosshairs covered the dot at 100yds but I’m still happy with Old Stick.
    And I put a sling stud in place of a screw to allow different slings.
    It feeds the 6.5 x 55 like it was made for it, too.

There is a lot of satisfaction in compling a project from "bits". Last year I was given a 1916 GEW Mauser action that someone had gunsmithed toward a sporter. The bolt handle was bent, a bridge mount was machined and incorporated 'Sako' type tapered dovetails and the trigger was standard Mauser.

I delved into the 'parts' box and found an FN Mauser barrel in 30.06, a set of old Sako mounts, a spare Pecar 4X scope and a spare military style stock. I bought a Parker-Hale trigger assembly for $60 and with a day in the workshop I had a very nice military sporter.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Working on a M-96 Husky convert to a 358 Win for a cast bullet rifle. Ordered a Shaw 1-14 twist 22" barrel for it. Just got it drilled and tapped with a Leupold standard one piece base installed.

This latest picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0535.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Too late in life for me to achieve those skills, I admire those that can.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

TbG, Love what you are doing. I’ve done a few back in the past.
    Question… With your scope mounted so far forward, how is your eye relief?
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Uncle Grinch, it’s a temporary set up that is working ok….
    Luckily I have a long neck so I can creep forward on the stock to catch the full image.
    Eventually I’ll drill and tap the action for conventional mounts and modify the bolt handle and safety.
    A couple of years back, I sold my Midway drill and tap fixture and bolt welding jig- because I thought I was done sporterizing Mausers……
    Oh well.

Boolit Master

TbG,
    Sounds like a plan. I know how you feel. Several years ago, I sold my action wrench and barrel vise. Probably just as well. My hand can’t take the stress anymore. Good luck with your project.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    Thanks for doing it in 6.5 Swede; one less person I have to compete with for used Roberts brass, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Thanks for doing it in 6.5 Swede; one less person I have to compete with for used Roberts brass, lol.
    6mm is the new Roberts brass….

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast