Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dillon RL550 dumpster diving

Boolit Master
    That is an amazing score! I never get this lucky. If, and when, I do find anything it's usually beyond repair. Happy you rehomed it though!
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    Wow nice! People will throw just about anything away. Crazy!

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm sure many treasures have been tossed in the trash by family.
    "That's just Grandpa's old stuff. Throw it out"
    Sad.

Boolit Mold
    Fantastic find. I love my 550B and the folks at Dillon are always willing to help. give them a call. 800-223-4570

Quote Originally Posted by oldsman View Post
    dillon can refurbish your press , call dillon for info . the odds are that they may just replace it with a new press for a small refurbishing fee and I believe it will be updated also and you may be able to request it in a different caliber
    I agree with Oldsman, send it in to DillonThey charge about $79.00 for an overhaul. I sent a SDB to them that I got for free, cost me about $50.00 to ship to them. They sent me a new SDB or a refurbished one couldn't tell if it was refurbished or not looked brand new to me, free of charge with upgrades i.e. New style powder measure, only money I spent was sending the old one in to them.
    Last edited by Big Wes; 02-19-2023 at 03:24 PM.
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score! And yes, check with Dillon.

Boolit Master
    Not free, or from a dumpster, but got a 650 for $50 about a year ago. It looks real nice next to my 750.

Boolit Buddy
    And you got a free primer too - envious

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    The other day I was talking to the S-I-L of one of my companies customers I was servicing. She had gotten sick & spent some time in the hospital. They went to check on her house and saw it needed a good cleaning and some repairs. They removed 5 - 20 yard dumpsters from the house, I had mentioned I often find things of interest in basements. He asked what I look for I said tools & lead. He asked why lead & I replied with a smile and a wink, sinkers. He said I understand I have them too. So we got talking and he said that the tenant was asked to remove his long stored items from the garage and he tossed some kind of reloading press in the dumpster & if I wanted it he knew right where it was. Challenge excepted! I removed a solid wood door, moved a few tires & some old 6" tongue & groove fur sub-flooring and found the box. When I got home I went through the box, lg & sm metal primer tray, extra primer tubes, some cleaning rods, a sizing wax pad, a fixed handle Buck hunting knife, oh & a RL550. I just clamped it to my bench to give it a good shot of WD-40. From the die box I found I'm guessing it's set up for 45ACP. Now I have to decide if I'm going to use it, what cal. to convert it too. I'm thinking .38/357. I have to figure out what parts I need.

WD-40 is not a LUBRICANT. It is for displacing WATER. Thus the "WATER DISPLACING" prefix?

Use motor oil on your press.

I'm just sayin'...

Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Boolit Master
    Dillon die are out of stock everywhere.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pcmacd View Post
    WD-40 is not a LUBRICANT. It is for displacing WATER. Thus the "WATER DISPLACING" prefix?

I'm just sayin'...

Well, if you were just sayin, why did you have to include a page worth of pictures that had nothing to do with WD40????
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Glad you got it lest it be trinkets or a bedframe soon. I really like those brass primer trays. The plastic ones are lacking in ways.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pcmacd View Post

I'm just sayin'...

https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/
    A QUESTION OF LUBRICATION
    Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

Anytime I get a rusty dirty piece of equipment like this the first thing I do is to give it a heavy coat of WD-40 to stop any rust and start the cleaning or disassembly process.

Per Dillon here is the ENTIRETY of the lubrication section of the RL550C owners manual...

“Use 30 weight motor oil on the main shaft and bearing grease on the pivot pins. Do not use spray type penetrating lube such as WD-40 or Break Free as you run the risk of contaminating powder and primers.”

I installed zerks on my 650's and I use the same grease a on my RL1050's
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/
    A QUESTION OF LUBRICATION
    Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

Anytime I get a rusty dirty piece of equipment like this the first thing I do is to give it a heavy coat of WD-40 to stop any rust and start the cleaning or disassembly process.

Per Dillon here is the ENTIRETY of the lubrication section of the RL550C owners manual...

“Use 30 weight motor oil on the main shaft and bearing grease on the pivot pins. Do not use spray type penetrating lube such as WD-40 or Break Free as you run the risk of contaminating powder and primers.”

I installed zerks on my 650's and I use the same grease a on my RL1050's
    We where on the same page at the same time. You couldn't have said it better. I did it for those exact reasons. Funny thing it loosened the surface rust up on the ram and it now operates smoothly. Now is it a good lubricant for high speed bearings? No, but it does work as a lubricant/solvent and even a cleaner decreased.

Boolit Bub
    What a find - as others have indicated, for a small fee you can send it off to Dillon and get back a new press. Dillon's "No BS" warranty is the best in the business.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12