Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Looking for alternative to RCBS hand priming tool.

Looking for alternative to RCBS hand priming tool.

I've always used and liked the hand priming tool, but for the difficulty in changing our shell holders. For some reason can't even get it done this time around. Looking for a good alternative that won't break the bank. Will be using large pistol, large rifle and large rifle magnum primers. Thoughts appreciated.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Have you used their universal bench mounted priming tool? If you don’t need handheld it is the bee’s knees.

Boolit Master

I used the Lee Hand primers over the last 4 decades Plus. Last year I went to A Lee Ram Primer,

I use the Lee Version; but the pic above is an RCBS version. I detested the RCBS press "Lever Primer Seating Tool that came with my RCBS Rockchucker I bought back in 1975. Still have the parts but would rather go get a Root Canal at the dentist thane use it for Large or Small Primers. The Top mounted Ram Prime units - They work much better.

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-pow...t/16-9165.html
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 02-16-2023 at 05:58 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    I completely agree with the bench mounted RCBS. By far the best and I have owned them all.

Boolit Buddy
    And RCBS also makes a hand priming tool with a universal shell holder. It handles everything but 22 hornet and 45-70. You would still have to change primer sizes, maybe. I've a large primer setup that seats small primers too, but you have to "feel them in" occasionally.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    I've always used and liked the hand priming tool, but for the difficulty in changing our shell holders. For some reason can't even get it done this time around. Looking for a good alternative that won't break the bank. Will be using large pistol, large rifle and large rifle magnum primers. Thoughts appreciated.
    I use a Lee handheld primer tool, have used this for many years, have most of the other kinds sitting on a shelf some where..
    I have one for large primers and one for small primers, when the ram broke ( cheap pot metal ) I made new handles.
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 02-16-2023 at 11:56 PM.

RCBS universal hand tool needs no shell holders.

Simple operation to change from large to small and back again.

Amazon has them, bad news is that new ones are 60$.
    https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-90201-Un.../dp/B000KKB86A
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

I used 3 different Lee hand helds for a very long time, then one day they all were broken and no more parts. I tried the new Lee prime and it is junk in my hand so; after some thought went back to using the primer tubes on my old Rockchucker then added the lee ram primer to another press that was idle. Now, I am accumulating more and more loading tools, just the ones I like, and in case these companies decide to quit or to discontinue what I to use because I just lost faith in them to be here. Don't care for the plastic strip primers thank you, besides they cost to much IMO..

Boolit Master

I have always used either Lee's old original hand primers (the one with the screw in shell holders) and RCBS Posi-Prime hand primer. I have about 46 of each. I tried a Lee press mounted primer but did not care much for it and sold it. I usually prime by hand while watching a good football gaime (college) or baseball (Atlanta Braves or Tennessee) game. I don't do nearly as much shooting as I once did but I still like to reload. my experience anyway, james

I also use the RCBS Universal. I liked it so much I bought a second one. Now I have one for large and one for small primers. The only problem I have come across is that occasionally the case will pop out of the holder. This is rare.

Also, the primer tray fits all the major brand primer boxes. I have an Hornady that I needed to put the primers in something else before I put them in the primer tray.

PS, This is the hand primer and not the bench primer.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

huntinlever:
    A few months ago, I was in your same position (sorta). After using the older Lee hand priming tool, it became to difficult for my thumb to push the lever on the tool to seat the primer. Thumb to wrist joint going away. I had a RCBS I aquired in a box of other stuff, that needed a couple parts. I ordered the parts from RCBS and started to using the tool. Oh, by the way, RCBS didn't charge me anything for the parts or shipping. That's a KUDOS! Anyway, changing the shellholders was a real pita, and I didn't like the way the primers were indexed. Accourding to reviews, the universal tool (sometimes) will allow the case to pop out of the jaws. So, I looked at other options. I decided on the Frankfort Arsenal hand tool. Built like a tank. Very nice craftsmanship. Comes with its own set of shellholders. Great leverage. Change shellholders in 10 seconds. Primer tray will accept all primer boxes. No wear and tear on one's thumb joints. What's not to like? At 20.00 bucks over the cost of the RCBS, but we'll worth it. Oh yeah, the whole set is in a really nice plastic case.
    Regards
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    I have the RCBS Universal and their one with the changeable shell holders. The later is set up for SPP. However, the one that gets the most use is the RCBS Bench mounted one that uses the tubes.

Winelover

I tried several Lee hand primers; 2 different RCBS hand primers; a Sinclair hand primer. I finally quit messing around & bought a RCBS Bench mounted unit with tubes. Best reloading decision I've ever made.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Thanks for all the options guys.

And I'm a moron. Took me about 5 seconds to switch from No. 2 to No. 4 just now.

But I've not worked with any of the other solutions so thanks for the bit of learning.
    -Paul