Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what to do with found dog?

If you don’t want to keep it, it’s a good source of protein.

Take the drive, at least get her checked for a chip. Could be a lost dog. Someone who was abandoning a dog would probably remove the collar. My son and dil have 5, 2 they actually adopted from the shelter, the other 3 were strays. My wife’s uncle Tommy would call them dog poor. After I lost my last one I don’t want another. Second best dog I’d ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by maxreloader View Post
    Things happen for a reason... If you can't find her a home then it's on you to keep her safe and make her feel welcome. If you are in a tight spot and cant afford her immediate care... I could (and would) run an auction here on this site for support money that would cover the necessary shots etc... but then it would be on you financially to take care of her to the best of your ability until she has lived a dogs life. If you are willing to commit, then so am I. That my two cents for what it's worth. Please shoot me a PM if you would like to take me up on my offer.
    I'm in for supporting this cause!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Have it scanned for a chip first. If it doesn't have one & you don't want to keep it, drive the 30 miles.
    This ^^^^^^^

Boolit Master
    I'm an animal person. I like all animals. (Well, maybe a few exceptions like coyotes & crows.)

But when it comes to dogs & cats,, I've had both all my life. In the last several years,, it's been just cats. Strays,, found on my place,, and were starving for both food & affection. As I type this,, 2 of them are laying beside me.

My last dog was also a found stray. It showed up as I was trying to get our broken down Blazer set up for the roll-back hauler. It got struck by a car because it was all around the place. Luckily the car was going slower,, and the dog didn't get more than bruised.
    It was a beautiful Redbone hound.
    I went all over the neighborhood trying to find the owner. Including a Redbone breeder. Nobody claimed him. GREAT dog. He alerted me to a neighbor's house fire about 4:30 am once. I was the first person to the fire.

I share all this because I'm a strong believer that GOD sends us things when he feels there is a need. Either a need here,, or the pet has a need & he knows I care. I've let God decide when I need a new furry friend. I've never been disappointed.

Search your heart,, and see if you have a place for this little girl. Maybe God is sending you a gift.

Boolit Master
    This Sunday past I found a nice loving home for a stray that showed up in my back yard several weeks ago .
    You have time & options ...

Boolit Master
    I recently got my 10th dog (since the early 80s). Out of those 10, we only sought out 3 (where we went to a shelter, actually looking for a dog). The other 7 found us, usually at a time when we didn't want or need another dog. I don't regret taking in any of them, and I'd probably keep the next unclaimed stray that wandered into my yard if I couldn't find a home for it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    a little over a week ago, my dog was going crazy. I went to investigate and there was this little brown female under the truck shaking. it had a collar on, so I got a leash and clipped it on the collar. it knew what to do. it wanted to go for a walk even though it was just skin and bones sticking out. I walked it over to nearest neighbor to see if they were missing a dog, nope. I walked it back home and tied it up, gave it big bowl of food and water and it ate till it was bloated.
    next day went and put up found dog notice on bulletin board in front of local gas station/store/lunch counter. its been over a week and no one has called. I dont want the dog. my road is on a large river and for some reason people continually dump off unwanted pets at the highway bridge that crosses the river about a half dozen miles away. ive asked everyone I can if they are missing a dog and nobody wants it. some folks around here just automatically shoot these strays when they come around. I thought about taking it to the other side of the river and letting it go. there is no animal control or anything like that in my county.
    the last stray that neighbor found they called the sheriff and he came out and shot it. someone told me about an animal shelter in neighboring county about 30 miles away. for now its well fed and watered. but my cats sure dont approve of her while my dog roofuss lets the cats nibble out of his bowl when he's done eating.
    what would you do
    I wish you the best with your new pet dog! Interestingly, a quite bittersweet law (imho) in my state is as soon as any care is provided for any critter -- be it food, water, release from a trap, et cetera -- then said critter is YOUR 100% responsibility! (Added, too, say you find/release a kitten from a trap and take it to a vet... ALL vet bills are your!)
    Hey -- maybe the pup under your vehicle was a message from above to provide said critter with a new, wonderful home!

Boolit Master
    I sure do appreciate the offers to assist in helping. I can afford to feed em but if there were a huge bill from a vet it would be something altogether different that is not needed in any way now. the little girl is in good health, legs, paws, teeth and gums are perfect.
    I made the dogs a pot of boiled chicken, carrots and celery today. a warm treat on a cold day to mix with the kibble. I'll keep the little lady for now and hopefully she will settle down and hopefully start to get along with the cats as the cats are a necessity around here keeping the field mice, rats and snakes under control in the handful of buildings on the property.

Boolit Master
    It's ALREADY adopted you. Just LOVE that dog. The cats will eventually figure it out.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    MAN!!!.... California people....<muttering unrepeatable misanthropic dialogue>
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Moderator Emeritus

A general location would help... I am looking for a giveaway dog in SW MN... the shelters here think a mutt is worth $400 these days ten wonder why nobody is taking their animals. I overheard one of the shelter owners complaining in Walmart and I walked over and told her she charges way to much and people are not going to pay that. Especially in a tanking economy! She got all huffy and said the standard about neutering and food etc... local vet does the neutering for free(well his staff does, he supervises on the strays)! She is driving a $150,000 pickup... new house, new barn... yeah...

Boolit Master

I sure do appreciate the offers to assist in helping. I can afford to feed em but if there were a huge bill from a vet it would be something altogether different that is not needed in any way now. the little girl is in good health, legs, paws, teeth and gums are perfect.
    I made the dogs a pot of boiled chicken, carrots and celery today. a warm treat on a cold day to mix with the kibble. I'll keep the little lady for now and hopefully she will settle down and hopefully start to get along with the cats as the cats are a necessity around here keeping the field mice, rats and snakes under control in the handful of buildings on the property.
    You are doing the right thing and she just might surprise you 👍
    Facta non verba

a little over a week ago, my dog was going crazy. I went to investigate and there was this little brown female under the truck shaking. it had a collar on, so I got a leash and clipped it on the collar. it knew what to do. it wanted to go for a walk even though it was just skin and bones sticking out. I walked it over to nearest neighbor to see if they were missing a dog, nope. I walked it back home and tied it up, gave it big bowl of food and water and it ate till it was bloated.
    next day went and put up found dog notice on bulletin board in front of local gas station/store/lunch counter. its been over a week and no one has called. I dont want the dog. my road is on a large river and for some reason people continually dump off unwanted pets at the highway bridge that crosses the river about a half dozen miles away. ive asked everyone I can if they are missing a dog and nobody wants it. some folks around here just automatically shoot these strays when they come around. I thought about taking it to the other side of the river and letting it go. there is no animal control or anything like that in my county.
    the last stray that neighbor found they called the sheriff and he came out and shot it. someone told me about an animal shelter in neighboring county about 30 miles away. for now its well fed and watered. but my cats sure dont approve of her while my dog roofuss lets the cats nibble out of his bowl when he's done eating.
    what would you do
    If you keep it, the cats will eventually warm up to it if it's well mannered.

But I understand you not wanting to keep every poor animal that is dropped off. Better than a shelter would be an animal rescue organization. They exist in my cities and even rural areas. They are volunteer organizations that generally go over and above what any animal shelter will do to find new homes for pets.

If there is an organization in your area and you get to know them, they may be able to help with the drop-off issue at least from the point of view of helping to find more homes for those animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    It's ALREADY adopted you. Just LOVE that dog. The cats will eventually figure it out.
    This is true, as long as the dog isn't a cat chaser, which it sounds like it is not.

Boolit Grand Master
    Depending on your situation.
    If possible.
    I'd adopt her.
    She will be grateful to you for the rest of her life.

Boolit Master

With the economy going south this will start to happen all over again back under obama a lot of people lost their homes some left pets inside to die others took them out here and released them. One day I had two dogs on the porch I fed them and watered them in separate bowls one was a hound of some kind white blue spots puff on end of the tail 60-70 pounds the other was a 90 pound Rottweiler. We have a pound I had them called but arrival was slow when I went out again the Rott went all wild and charged me . .45 acp flattened it , when animal control arrived he looked it over said it looked like it never wore a collar or had shots . The hound was totally unconcerned the other dog got shot I hope it got back to the owner it seemed a good dog .
    Like other say at least have it checked for a chip .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

I agree that you should have it checked for a chip. Could be some kid is missing his/her best friend. No chip and you like her, keep her. My guess is she never got much love and it about time she did.
    Regards,
    Rob

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    We normally brown our meat down in onions You?

I've had 2 strays in past 6 years show up. One was a beautiful year or so old pit that wouldn't let me get within 50 ft. About a week in, woman showed up looking for him. Seems her son's wife had tossed him out close by. She was able to get him and go. Had a sheepdog, long haired variety show up for a couple fo days recently. He left on his own after a couple of meals. I don't have a yard fenced that I can put one in and keep separate from my two old terriers. I'd keep one, especially fairly small. Good luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast