WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what to do with found dog?

Boolit Master

what to do with found dog?

a little over a week ago, my dog was going crazy. I went to investigate and there was this little brown female under the truck shaking. it had a collar on, so I got a leash and clipped it on the collar. it knew what to do. it wanted to go for a walk even though it was just skin and bones sticking out. I walked it over to nearest neighbor to see if they were missing a dog, nope. I walked it back home and tied it up, gave it big bowl of food and water and it ate till it was bloated.
    next day went and put up found dog notice on bulletin board in front of local gas station/store/lunch counter. its been over a week and no one has called. I dont want the dog. my road is on a large river and for some reason people continually dump off unwanted pets at the highway bridge that crosses the river about a half dozen miles away. ive asked everyone I can if they are missing a dog and nobody wants it. some folks around here just automatically shoot these strays when they come around. I thought about taking it to the other side of the river and letting it go. there is no animal control or anything like that in my county.
    the last stray that neighbor found they called the sheriff and he came out and shot it. someone told me about an animal shelter in neighboring county about 30 miles away. for now its well fed and watered. but my cats sure dont approve of her while my dog roofuss lets the cats nibble out of his bowl when he's done eating.
    what would you do

Boolit Grand Master

I would drive the 30 miles to the shelter, because I’m a coward and couldn’t kill a pet with my own hand.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Keep it. That is what I would do. Take it to the shelter if you need to, but if you are going to call the sheriff only for them to shoot it you might as well do it. Personally, I don't think I could do that, especially after feeding it and caring for it.

Boolit Master
    Personally sounds like I'd have a new a well behaved dog. Specially for one that was lost and hadn't been eating. She'd probably be able to teach mine a thing or two. On a serious note tho, I'd take her to the vet and get her checked out and whatever shots may be needed, and welcome the new addition to the family.
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

If it hasn't already adopted you, I'd take it to the shelter.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    There's usually a lost and found locally on FB. for pets, Have someone take a picture and post up or see if some ol lady will take it in.
    Shooting the animal is out of the question as your probably not going to eat it.

Boolit Bub
    Call the animal shelter and see if someone called there looking for it. If it has a collar someone must have cared for it at one time. I know the feeling about abandoned dogs. I have had 3 or 4 I have taken in.
    Last edited by n9tkf; 02-16-2023 at 06:57 PM.

Have it scanned for a chip first. If it doesn't have one & you don't want to keep it, drive the 30 miles.

Name her, she’s yours. One dog is not enough.
    Five is too many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep it . Just about every dog I've ever owned was a stray. They honestly don't cost that much imo. Cup of kibble maybe some table scraps and place to get out the weather z be the loyalist critter you could ask for. Probably be a lot less of a headache then a pure bred
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

It would be the same as a rescue dog and dogs are a lot smarter than a lot of people think. Most rescue dogs tend to appreciate the rescue and could become one of the better dogs you could ever have
    I would check for a chip then if not claimed I would give it a chance. You might be surprised.
    Facta non verba

Everyone need a buddy. keep it.

Boolit Buddy

If you don't have any luck with found dog notices and vet doesn't find a chip in her. A shelter would be my choice if I couldn't keep. I have used a no kill shelter for puppies that I couldn't give away.

Things happen for a reason... If you can't find her a home then it's on you to keep her safe and make her feel welcome. If you are in a tight spot and cant afford her immediate care... I could (and would) run an auction here on this site for support money that would cover the necessary shots etc... but then it would be on you financially to take care of her to the best of your ability until she has lived a dogs life. If you are willing to commit, then so am I. That my two cents for what it's worth. Please shoot me a PM if you would like to take me up on my offer.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Have it scanned for a chip first. If it doesn't have one & you don't want to keep it, drive the 30 miles.

This!

Boolit Master

I’d take her to the vet and have her checked for a chip. If no chip a thorough exam and have her spayed if she isn’t already, then keep her. Sounds like someone should put a surveillance camera on that bridge. If you decide to keep her I’ll kick in a 20 for her support.

Boolit Man
    I had a similar situation. Female Shepard type came with new house wife and I bought. I definitely didn’t want her but wife overruled me. Turned out to be the most loving and seemingly appreciative animal ever. Met me at the gate every nite when returning home from work, tail wagging and excited to see me. Plz keep it.

Boolit Master
    I’ve had two lost dogs show up at my place in the last few months. My daughter in law was familiar with a county-wide Facebook page for lost/found pets. She posted pictures of the dogs with my contact info and within 30 minutes I had a call from the owners both times. The last one even brought me a big box of Christmas cookies as a reward.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Name her, she’s yours. One dog is not enough.
    Five is too many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Had 25 at one time, everyone an individual, everyone, a very loving companion, all worked for the good of all, great working dog sled team... The old ones rested and played with the pups, passed when it was there time, the baby's learned from the older ones, all bread to run, kept you warm on a cold night, keep you safe from bears, OR ?? Would give their lives to keep you safe, only drawback, cats and skunks were Favrot food. YOU are not willing to keep her, take her to a no - kill shelter.......... SHE May just be the best dog you might ever have ????????????? I am down to two dogs now, two females, one hundred eighty plus pounds of loving animals. One is part blind the other head strong, two big fur baby's..
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 02-16-2023 at 11:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    I would keep it, also I am to chicken harded when it comes to pets . I have had a pet my whole life no way I could ever shot one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast