Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Anyone load 380 using Lee TL 356-95-RF?

Boolit Master

Anyone load 380 using Lee TL 356-95-RF?

These are the boolits I'll be using in my new 380. They'll be powder coated and sized to .356 for beginning loads. Powders will be Unique and Bullseye.

One things got me buffaloed. I measured a factory round with a very similar jacketed boolit and the OAL is .940. Load data with my Lee dies says .970 is minimum for this round.

Anyway, I get the gun Friday and hopefully get to take it to the range Saturday. Any experience you want to share would be appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee 102 gr cast Boolits Powder Coated in my AMT " Back Up "
    It works great with Unique.
    I don't see why the Lee 95 gr wouldn't work well in your pistol.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I use this boolit and tight group in 380. I load it to plunk length -.010 to -.015, providing they will fit in the mag. Id try 2 or 3 at the lee suggested length. Providing they plunk.

Boolit Master

With a jacketed bullet of the same weight I have used 2.77 grains of Unique as a starting load and had good functioning.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Thanks. I've also got the Lee 105 RN mold. Will try those also. I recon you got to set the OAL for each individual pistol. From what I've read you want the boolit about .015" off the rifling.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the original Ranchdog version and have loaded many hundreds, maybe thousands, over ww-231. The OAL needs to be shorter than most--.905", IIRC and 2.5 grains of 231 has worked well in my LCP, Browning 1910, Beretta 84 and in my old PPK/s. I have not tried it in my Mauser Hsc yet, but have no qualms about it working. I will say that some of the top end loads in Lyman seem a bit energetic to me. Be sure to start low and work up.

I will dig out a few rounds and check that OAL. Well. I checked several, and they ran from .903 to .906.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 02-16-2023 at 12:46 PM. Reason: add info on OAL
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I use this exact cast bullet in our 380acp. Just seat it deep enough until it passes the "plunk" test. It will be shorter in OAL than a reloading manual states. I load on the lower velocity end and it functions flawlessly. I have been using W231 as the powder.

Boolit Master

The fellow who designed this bullet was Ranch Dog. His load notes had the OAL listed @ .924 along with load data for about 15 different powders with pressures maxing out at 17KPSI. It's a great design. I've shot thousands in my Keltec P3AT, Ruger .380 and even played with it in my K38 where it was very accurate @50yds.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    The fellow who designed this bullet was Ranch Dog. His load notes had the OAL listed @ .924 along with load data for about 15 different powders with pressures maxing out at 17KPSI. It's a great design. I've shot thousands in my Keltec P3AT, Ruger .380 and even played with it in my K38 where it was very accurate @50yds.
    I use this bullet and bullseye, Tight Group, and Winchester 231. Good bullet for the .380.

Boolit Master
    Success! 25 yards off the bench from my new Glock 42. Bullseye powder. Factory loads measured .950 so that's what I went with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glock42.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	310858

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    More than one bullet discussed in thread, so is this comment in reference to the Lee TL 356-95-RF?

Is that data on this site, or somewhere else that you can link?