WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Colt 1911 38 special MR shooters with a RR

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fc60 View Post
    Greetings Cougar_Hunter,

Thanks for the added clarifications. You are a more well versed collector than I.

Interesting that Colt threaded old MK II barrels and did not change the hood marking.

How did the MK I barrel vary from the MK II barrel?

I do know my MK III barrel had a 0.357" groove diameter. Did the early MK I and MK II have the 0.354" groove diameter?

Cheers,

Dave
    Post #3 has the difference

Boolit Buddy
    This is a very interesting thread. I'm a S&W Model 52 fan and have always been interested in the Colt 38's. I haven't added one to my collection yet though.
    I happened to get into a 38 Mid-Range Wadcutter discussion with a friend over the weekend. A result of that was pulling a 38 AMU cartridge from my collection and comparing it to a 38 Special to see how the AMU rim differed. Here's a picture I took. The AMU is clearly turned into a semi-rim. I thought this thread would be a good place to share this picture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0818.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	311042

JRD,
    The Colt GCNM .38 Mid Range pistols are really nice pistols to shoot. Had Colt done some more R&D before they hit the market, theres no telling what they may have turned out to be. As I stated previously, I shoot mine regularly.

Great information guys. Thanks very much. I had recently seen a Giles in a local GS with a tag marked 38 Super. The pistol is a Colt which was originally a Super but I think it might be a conversion. If the owner permits me I would like to bring a dummy 38 Special round to seek if this is in fact a conversion. Typical Giles stippling, heavy rib and brazed buttons inside slide for additional barrel alignment.
    I’d like to ask the folks here who have a Clark 61 conversion if the slide was machined to accept that large, rear, half-rib sight. You’d have to have removed it to be able to answer.

Boolit Master
    So, if one were to put an 8 pound spring in a Coonan classic (that's the spring it takes to cycle wad cutters in mine anyhow), would it allow said person to compete?

Boolit Grand Master

One reason the lock up guns got away with the 6-8 lb springs safely was the mags would only accept wadcutter length ammo, With the 8 lb spring and 158 grn full power ammo a cracked slide or frame would be a big risk

Longfellow,
    I'd be confident that the Giles pistol is chambered in .38 Wadcutter. The barrel in my Giles pistol is marked Colt .38 Super.
    My Clark Model 61-S slide is drilled and tapped (2 screws) holding the 1/2 length Bomar rib to it. Other than that I cant help.

Perfect. Thanks Cougar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12