Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Simple Green + Ultrasonic Cleaner

Boolit Master

Simple Green + Ultrasonic Cleaner

I have 100 deprimed and sized 30-06 cases from which I would like to remove the sizing lube using my (small) Lyman ultrasonic cleaner. Do you use the Simple Green full-strength or diluted?

Thank you,
    Richard

PS: In general, I am not pleased with the Lyman ultrasonic unit. For one, approximately 4 minutes is the maximum time it will run, so I have to keep restarting it. 4 or so minutes just is not long enough to clean greasy, dirty parts. And I would say that is only does a "sorta good" job.
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master

I mix simple green precision 10-1 with water but the jug says it will work up to 20-1. 10-1 still has very good rust inhibitors

Boolit Master
    When I put brass in with the SS pins I add about a couple tablespoons of simple green and a couple tablespoons of lemishine to about a Galion of warm water, then dry overnight and into the corn for about an hour with brass cleaner, I gave up on the ultrasonic machine.

Boolit Buddy
    I use Dawn dish soap and a table spoon of lemi shine. I have the large harbor freight ulltrasonic cleaner.

Boolit Buddy
    I was hesitant for years to get an ultrasonic unit. First to get one large enough to do a large gun like a 500 -S&W with a ten-inch barrel. The second concern was the cost of the solution and based on the size of the unit it would cost quite a bit.

Personally I don't think you can clean your cases any better or faster than tumbling them in S/S pins and your preferred cleaner. I built my own DC controlled tumbler years ago. Using 6" pipe for the tumbler with the largest about 18" long. It will hold at least 4000 plus 9/mm cases and after 90/minutes they all look like new.

My primary use was to clean all my guns better and faster than by hand. I went with a 30/L unit with dual frequency modes, degas and temperature control. What I found out from doing research is that you can place the guns in heavy duty plastic bags. The cleaning solvent needed is minimal and most of it can be reused when you let the dirt settle out for several days. I use the simple green heavy duty aircraft type cleaner. The only issue with a 30/L unit is that it can take at least 60 minutes to heat up to 85/deg and longer depending how hot you want to go. So initially you can't be in a hurry for at least the first 30 -45 minutes. Things will still be cleaning but faster at the higher heat. You can empty the unit and fill with hot water which will save a lot of time. Generally after 30-45 minutes the bag containing the gun parts will be totally black. These units will clean areas you never see. I thoroughly blow everything off and lube all the parts that need it. Overall, it was a good investment and I use it for anything else that will fit in the unit that needs cleaning.

Boolit Master

Do not leave the cleaning solvent in the unit,I left my for two days and it eat a couple holes in the unit bottom Lyman doesn't do warranty work if you don't follow instructions
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Do not leave the cleaning solvent in the unit,I left my for two days and it eat a couple holes in the unit bottom Lyman doesn't do warranty work if you don't follow instructions
    Thank you. Will definitely keep that in mind.

Cheers, Richard

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KAYDADOG View Post
    What I found out from doing research is that you can place the guns in heavy duty plastic bags. The cleaning solvent needed is minimal and most of it can be reused when you let the dirt settle out for several days. I use the simple green heavy duty aircraft type cleaner.
    Thank you. I particularly appreciate the tip about the plastic bag and the aircraft cleaner. The bag certainly would help cleanup of the unit.

Cheers, Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by recumbent View Post
    I use Dawn dish soap and a table spoon of lemi shine. I have the large harbor freight ulltrasonic cleaner.
    That seems to be a popular unit. I'll look in on HF the next time I'm in Cheyenne.

Cheers, Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I mix simple green precision 10-1 with water but the jug says it will work up to 20-1. 10-1 still has very good rust inhibitors
    Thank you. I'll try the 10:1 tomorrow.

Cheers, Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

You can use a glass beaker/jar with cleaning solution and submerge it into the US cleaner that is filled with plain water. You use less cleaner and don't have to dump the US cleaner when done. And if you do choose to dump it, it's only clean water.
    Regards,
    Rob

Great advice ^^^^^! And I also use Dawn, Lemishine and hot water.