WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Question about Lyman 4 cavity handles

Boolit Bub

Question about Lyman 4 cavity handles

Hi all! I don't have any Lyman 4 cavity blocks to try, but will the Lee 6 cavity handles work on them? A buddy and I were just brainstorming this tonight and neither of us knew for sure. Anyone ever try them?
    Second part of the question: The older Lyman 4 cavity handles are the long closed end type. On Lyman's web site they now show the new ones to be a longer version of the standard handles. Does one work better than the other?
    We are both thinking of getting a 4 cavity set, one for .357, one for 45 ACP, then swapping as needed. Comments about using 4 cavity blocks are welcome!

Thanks,

Doubletap

Boolit Master
    I don't remember the reason they wouldn't fit , but I had to order the Lyman 4 cavity handles for a 4 cavity mold I picked up a year or so ago , I keep extra lee 6 cavity handles on hand but I couldn't use them on the 4 cavity .
    I have used the lee handles on the 1-2 cavity Lyman molds in the past .
    I use the scissor type not the nutcracker style

Boolit Master
    The tongs of the Lee 6-c handles are too thick to fit inside the slots of a Lyman 4-c. However, the Lee tongs do fit new Lyman 1-c molds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8697DFA6-B21A-477F-A17D-E1B4BD40AED8.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	310507

Boolit Master
    Even if you make them fit that is a LOT of weight far out from your hand. You will get tired pretty quick unless you do this on a regular basis and have an arm like Popeye. (Young guys will have to look that one up)

Boolit Grand Master
    Bought a 4 cav. lyman mould once that came with Lee handles that someone had thinned to fit the lyman mould

Boolit Master
    If you do decide the iron mold is too heavy, and if you get a good copy of either mold, send me an IM and we can work out a deal

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    If you do decide the iron mold is too heavy, and if you get a good copy of either mold, send me an IM and we can work out a deal
    Don't know if that is meant for me but all my Lyman four cavity molds have the original clamshell handles. At one time I used to have those Popeye arms. 20 years ago but now at 70 for some reason they shrunk down a bit. I can still handle the Lyman handles ok but I wouldn't want to do it all day two days in a row. When I start casting it is a marathon because I want to keep going once all the lead and molds are hot and things are in sync.

Boolit Master

Nothing wrong with the old Nutcracker style handles. The new style scissors work equally well.
    But BOY HOWDY!!! they do take a different technique. And they weigh about a third less then 4cav brass molds.
    And balance is also different too.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the very good info guys. I think I'll talk my buddy into getting one version of the Lyman handles, and I'll buy the other, for science. Maybe I'll find one works better than the other for my casting style and cadence.

Boolit Grand Master

I've several Lyman 4 cavity moulds and prefer the newer Lyman handles. With the use of a mould guide, properly adjusted for height, the "weight forward" is not a problem. The Lee 6cavity mould handles can be thinned but then they are too thin for use on Lee moulds. Not a problem if dedicated to the Lyman 4 cavity mould though.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

"I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    Good to know. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am done with making the Lees fit. What a nightmare

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brassrat View Post
    I am done with making the Lees fit. What a nightmare
    Me too, it's why I got a new style Lyman handle for the 4 cavity blocks. It's easy enough to switch the handles to another set of mould blocks when needed.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    When I had access to an old Mill in the machine shop at work, It was no difficult thing to mill the Lee to fit, but I retired and those days are gone. These days, I'd just as soon buy what I need, if I haven't already got it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.