Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M96

Boolit Master
    Battis: It could mean anything, but five notches on a stock usually means five bad guys taking a dirt nap.

Boolit Master
    If the gun was carried by a Swede, who did they fight? My history might be foggy.
    I had a Winchester .351 Self Loader with five notches but I think they were deer counts.
    Maybe the owner was married five times...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL-3 Seawolf View Post
    The stock disc indicates your rifle was sighted for spitzer bullets. The mark over the #2 indicates the condition of the bore. No mark a new bore. #2 light corrosion/wear. The mark over the #1 is bore diameter 6.51mm. I have owned several Model 96's and Model 38's. If the stock matches the rifles S/N than chances are the disc is accurate. I never owned one that would not shoot well even with a condition 3 bore. Not sure about the history of the rear sight. I have seen some that the adjusting disc was nickel plated and I was told they were for naval use.
    Unless someone changed out the stock disc. Then, you have no idea what the barrel is really like.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

the swedes had men in Finland who fought in several battles againest the russians, i have one of the 96 rifles with finnish army acceptence marks, a SA in a box on the reciever.

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle battis! I want one!

What’s a ballpark price for these guns in this condition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    the swedes had men in Finland who fought in several battles againest the russians, i have one of the 96 rifles with finnish army acceptence marks, a SA in a box on the reciever.
    While my history knowledge is Negligible.. especially about Norway, Sweden, Switzerland.. I was thinking the Russians Fought Against the Nazi's... so... How did that work??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    While my history knowledge is Negligible.. especially about Norway, Sweden, Switzerland.. I was thinking the Russians Fought Against the Nazi's... so... How did that work??
    Here's info on that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_and_the_Winter_War

An interesting time in history. The Russians (USSR at the time) attacked Finland as they wanted a warm water port in the northern part of their country, which Finland refused to give up. The Finns fought back very effectively in a situation somewhat like the Ukraine today, but eventually were forced to give the Russians the port and a lot of real estate with it which the Russians occupied. Then after the start of WW II just a couple of years later the Germans (Nazis at the time) attacked the Russians and general war ensued. The Finns, hoping to recover the part of their country that had been lost, allied themselves with the Germans and resumed the war with the Russians. The Finns sought and received significant aid from their Scandinavian brothers in Sweden and Norway in the form of arms and manpower, but Norway already had trouble with the Germans who eventually occupied their country, and the Swedes wanted to maintain neutrality, so neither provided all out assistance, and the help provided by Sweden was officially by volunteers. Sweden refused to allow the German Army to pass through their country to Finland, but provided the Germans with much needed iron ore for their war effort. When the German's fortunes turned on their Eastern Front the troops they had in Finland were given a deadline to leave by the Finns, who changed sides near the end of the war to keep what country they had left from being totally overrun by the Russians.

Switzerland had nothing at all to do with the situation, and was neutral throughout the war.

Sweden is known for their exceptionally fine iron ore and the steel that is made from it. The Swedish Mauser rifles are of exceptional quality, because of the workmanship, but also because of the steel used. Another fascinating example is that the nation of Argentina decided to adopt the U.S. Model 1911 .45 ACP pistol in 1924, and initially ordered them from Colt. After the first deliveries they decided to make them in their own country under license from Colt, but insisted on buying the steel from Sweden. The Swedish steel is denser, and a comparison of the Argentine-made pistols and the Colt-made pistols is said to show that, although dimensionally identical, the Argentine pistols weigh 2 oz. more. A great story. I have both, but for some reason have never gotten around to putting it to the test and actually weighing them. The Argentine pistols do seem to weigh just a bit more in the hand, but .....?

DG

Boolit Master
    ^^ Interesting and Informative. Thanks
    But of Note... The Swede rifles depicted above, were all Made in Germany by DWM.. so the Swedish Steel, was used as you point out, by the Germans...on All Mausers of the period.. or do we believe DWM sorted the Steel to be utilized in Swede Rifle production??
    I guess I just refuse to Drink The Kool-Aid as concerns Swedish Mausers, and great steel... while The Spanish and Chilean, Mausers are Poo Pooed!! Some even Parrot how Soft and Inferior the Spanish Mauser was... even if mfg by the very same DWM!!!!

thanks for the link to swedish soldiers helping the finns in their fight against the russians. tho they didn,t fight in many battles they were there and did in fact shoot russians with 96 mausers in 6.5x55.

i think alot of the distain for the other 93-95 mausers is alot of them imported were rode hard and put away wet. i had a mint 95 chilian mauser in 7x57 and it was just as nice as my swedish 96 rifles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    i think alot of the distain for the other 93-95 mausers is alot of them imported were rode hard and put away wet. i had a mint 95 chilian mauser in 7x57 and it was just as nice as my swedish 96 rifles.
    I too have One Chilean that is wonderful, and one that is Less so!
    But, I have one Spanish made by Lowe, that I really like alot, and one marked 1916...that fits the rode hard-putup wet, description..
    One last drift... the hardest, meanest, action I ever drilled and tapped, was a scrubbed Spanish... Any Swede was about like any other action in that regard.

I live near the R&D Center for the USAF, we get visitors, I have met several Finns and Swedes down town, here on assignment. They are proud of the 6.5x55 and its history, plus they use it for hunting everything on four legs.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    How does the 6.5x55 compare to the 6.5 Creedmore?

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    If you load them both to the same pressure, the extra capacity of the Swede will allow it to outperform the Creedmore.
    The early Swedish Mausers were built in the Sweden Building division of Mauser Werke Orbendorf- not by DWM.
    I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

out of my cz 550 in 6.5x55 i shoot a 140 gr bullet at 2900 fps useing n-560 with no signs of presser.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I’ve got both and the CM gets about 250 fps more with the same weight bullet when loaded close to max pressure limits. Of course my 6.5X55 is a military and can’t safely be operated at the same level of a commercial modern rifle.

Boolit Master
    I bought a blank adaptor for the M96. Nice Dodad. They were used to shoot wooden bullets in training. I've watched videos online but has anyone here ever tried the adaptor with wooden "blanks"? The wooden blanks are available.

Boolit Master
    Just at random today I saw this photo on another website. The caption says: "Swedish volunteers helped expel the soviets from the Hanko peninsula, Finland, 1941". So, it would appear that the Swedish Mauser was used in combat at one time. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nw4tsfzh0jka1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	311014

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    I’ve got both and the CM gets about 250 fps more with the same weight bullet when loaded close to max pressure limits. Of course my 6.5X55 is a military and can’t safely be operated at the same level of a commercial modern rifle.
    In an appropriate action the 6.5x55, given equal barrel lengths, will out perform the 6.5 CM simply because it has greater case capacity as mentioned. Even in a M96/M38 the 6.5x55 when loaded to C.I.P. standards equals the velocity, given equal barrel lengths and bullet weights, of the 6.5 CM. Again, simply because of the greater case capacity the 6.5x55 can do that at a lower pressure.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast