MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M96

Boolit Master

M96

A few years ago, I traded a Swedish Mauser 6.5x55 and have regretted it since. Today I found another and the world is right again.
    It's an M96 made by Mauser. Everything matches, even the barrel bands (except the cleaning rod -it's off by 30). The bore is mint. The wood is darker than the other M96 that I had, and the rear sight is different.
    I still have dies, brass and bullets. I knew I'd get another one someday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5514.JPG   DSCF5516.JPG   DSCF5517.JPG   DSCF5519.JPG   DSCF5520.JPG  

DSCF5523.JPG  
    Last edited by Battis; 02-14-2023 at 05:01 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1418 (3).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	310496 yes i love my swedish mausers, this 1944 model 38 is my favorite.

Boolit Master
    I guess I would call that a 94...as All of the 95's that I have seen, are Chilean.. so Obviously I have Not seen it All
    If ya like the 6.5 ...all is Good..

its a german made 96, the first few years germany made the 94 carbines and 96 rifles for sweden, i think 1900 was the last year the germans made them. the german ones bring a little more money if condition is the same for both rifles as they were made only a few years .

Boolit Master
    Battis,
    Very nice Swede. My favorite M96 has the same rear sight. It has a threaded muzzle and I got a muzzlebrake a few years ago and it looks neat.

Adam

Boolit Mold
    The stock disc indicates your rifle was sighted for spitzer bullets. The mark over the #2 indicates the condition of the bore. No mark a new bore. #2 light corrosion/wear. The mark over the #1 is bore diameter 6.51mm. I have owned several Model 96's and Model 38's. If the stock matches the rifles S/N than chances are the disc is accurate. I never owned one that would not shoot well even with a condition 3 bore. Not sure about the history of the rear sight. I have seen some that the adjusting disc was nickel plated and I was told they were for naval use.

I have one of those rear sights on my Swede. They're great--allow for very precise adjustment. There once was a commercially made U.S. civilian sight that used the same principle of elevation by turning the wheel that rode up/down on a screw. I don't know who copied who....

DG

Boolit Mold
    I think the rear sight is a civilian version of the Vasteras rear sight which had the picture of a Viking long ship stamped on it and was Nickel plated. I think the Vasteras rear sight was added to M 38's that were converted from M 96's.

Boolit Master
    Here's some close-ups of the sight. I haven't found a serial number on the stock (I haven't stripped it down yet).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5531.JPG   DSCF5532.JPG  

serial numbers will be on the inside stock and hand guard.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine came with the Soderin rear peep but was missing the elit front globe.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Here's a site that explains some of the markings on the M96.
    http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/mats/ma...user_rifle.htm

I found several crown stamps on various parts. Most are horizontal but a few are tilted (slanted).
    "All parts received a Crown for approval, or a X for disapproval.
    If the crown is horizontal the part is made by Mauser or Carl Gustaf,
    if the Crown is tilted the part is made by a civilian company
    (often Husqvarna)."

Boolit Master
    Here's a puzzle - five notches on the stock. Any guesses?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5533.JPG  

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle, I think I read the Swede's had the Oberndorf factory use Swedish steel for those rifles. Last Oberndorf I saw had been converted to a 38. I wanted it but my wallet said no.

I have two, both in nice shape. From the best I can tell both had new barrels. I will look at the marks again, thanks for the link Battis. One of mine has same rear sight as yours. The other has been scoped, might of hurt the value a bit but it sure does shoot good.

Hope you have fun with that rifle, they are Crown Jewels.
    Dave

Boolit Master
    The muzzle is threaded, but I don't think I'll try wooden bullets, or a muzzle brake.
    The stock's serial number does not match the rest of the gun. Oh well. But it's in great shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5519.JPG  

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle, is the barrel shorter than 29"? I ask as I've a 96 that was altered with that type of rear sight.

From what I've found it's referred to as a 96/38 model, being the barrel was shortened to M38 length and the rear sight changed out.

I had a M-96 Castle Rifle, so called, as the barrel length was shorter than the standard 29" for interior of building guards. Has the standard 96 straight bolt handle. I bought twelve 96s and the short barrel was in the group.
    That German made 96 is the first I have seen. They ware reported to be the German made of Swedish steel guns. The Swedes refused German steel and insisted the Germans use Swedish steel to make the guns, which the Sweeds supplied. Or so goes the story
    Even the dark bore guns of the ones I got in still shot well for open sights at 100 with the 140 Hornady Interloc. I have a few, not one is in the original configuration.
    This is my Dad's 6.5x55 Swede sporter that I built for him, a small Swede horizontally and vertically(2 rounds) narrowed with a screw bean mesquite stock. A handy little rifle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D096B3A3-BF84-460F-A2ED-9A15B1426FFB.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    The barrel is 29". From what I read, the 38's barrels are 24".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005135.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	310511

dg

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    My 96 has a 29” barrel, the 38 has a 24” barrel,( for now, as I have new 29” barrel to go on it).Both shoot wonderfully. You have a fine example there. Good luck.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast