Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Henry Homesteader 9mm carbine

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Picking one up tomorrow, I'll post pictures if anyone has an interest.

Jeff, pictures are for looking at and some people may want to see them...but if no interest to me.

If you are comfortable with sharing the street price that would be useful information. Then a range report when you get to punch paper with it. Please do not do what I see posted so often...”It is accurate”. A handful of 5 shot groups at 50 and 100 yards off a bench would tell us a lot.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Picking one up tomorrow, I'll post pictures if anyone has an interest.
    Yes please! Would also like to see how it takes down.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Eh, it's kinda neat, but at almost $1000 I'll pass.

Ruger PC will do the same job for $300 less, and adds take-down functionality.

I'm sure Henry will sell all of these that they make, however...

Boolit Grand Master
    Well I came , I saw and I passed. The price was 799.99 and it came with the Glock insert. It felt......o.k. but that was about it. It did have better balance than my PC-9 but not enough to sell me. I'll probably stick to their lever actions.
    I was hoping to see a range report from someone who is not beholding to the advertisers of gun rags.

IMO you likely made the right decision. If your PC 9 is running well, what will this do?
    Don Verna

This to will pass.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not like about the lousy trigger on the Hi-Point. I would pay $100 more to get a decent trigger. I can live with the 10 round mags but wish it took Glock mags. At $325 they just plain work and are good enough for 100 yard duty.

Gun nuts will invest another $400 to get a better gun but I expect most folks will not.

When Joe/Jane average walk into the LGS and start looking at 9mm carbines it will be a tough sell.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

They also take M&P mags. Good idea to be able to use one set of mags for everything but nearly $1,000 is kinda steep.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Wonder what the mag catch is made out of? On the PCC9 its steel and ends up eating away on the plastic glock mags. Using steel mags is the way to go. I tried to get Ruger to make a plastic mag release that was like talking to a Millennial.

Its nice that you can choose the different mag options for this one reason on the homesteader. I have killed three glock mags on my pc9. G26 mags are not cheap here in 10 round land. Still cheaper than Ruger mags.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    If I didn't reload and already have a pair of 357mag break actions, this would be very tempting. On the surface, I'd rather have this gun than a 9mm AR.

There's no competing with the break actions though, and with handloads 357mag can be anything from 380 to 30-30. This doesn't fill a need for me, but I love that it exists, and from Henry, too.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    With multiple magazine magazine options , Beretta 92 , Browning High Power and CZ75 would be nice to offer .

Jack
    Edit to add ..... OK It would be nice to see a .45 using 1911 magazines . Price ? this may not be the gun for those on a really slim budget but as long as it feels good in the hands and works right I think they will sell at least a few . Hi-Point has it's followers and ruger it's fans but I don't like the feel of the Hi-Point and I wouldn't buy another ruger at half the price .

I don't "need" the Henry but then how often do I let things like THAT cloud gun stuff buys ?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I got a BO pistol that fits the bill for me, no need for a PCC. More of an accurate 'truck' gun that I can run from sub to 2k fps and 110-180gr cast bullet. Takes 10-20 rnd mags. Do have a couple boxes of 220gr factory I've not fired. Henry does make nice guns though.
    Whatever!

I wish Henry would stick to what made them big; affordable, yet well made guns. If this was half the price, heck yeah.
    Of course 900 Brandon Bucks don't buy much anymore.

Boolit Master

I like whast Henry is offering but what I need is something for my wife as a house defense gun. The offering would be alright for a young woman but my 80 year old would find it both a little bulky and a bit heavy. I wish someone would make an affordable M1 carbine sized rifle. I know that Inland Arms is making them but the price is a killer, plus just try to find one. james

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I like whast Henry is offering but what I need is something for my wife as a house defense gun. The offering would be alright for a young woman but my 80 year old would find it both a little bulky and a bit heavy. I wish someone would make an affordable M1 carbine sized rifle. I know that Inland Arms is making them but the price is a killer, plus just try to find one. james
    James,

Wish I had known. I just sold a Universal M-1 for $550 and it was pristine. They do not come up often, but they are out there. IMO a better value than the Homesteader for home defense. One of the things "wrong" with all these carbines is the effort needed to operate the action. Being blow back designs, they have more effort than a small framed and/or old person can muster. I had a Kel-Tec sub2000 I had bought for my then current lady and she could barely operate it.

It seems like a non-issue to gun rag writers and most men but it makes a weapon "useless" for less muscular folks. BTW, one reason most men should not select a gun for their wives, girlfriends or children. They do not know what they do not know.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Amen to that Don. My wife reminds me quite often. But she is a keeper. james

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123