Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Henry Homesteader 9mm carbine

I am really liking that real live wood stock and fore end. Black plastic stocks just don't "do it" for this old geeezer!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I am intrigued as well. I'll be looking to see if any show up in the local stores. Henry being Henry and all, I wonder if they'll offer a polished blue with upgraded walnut stocks as well as a black plastic stocked mat finished one? Or if they left room in the receiver for a .40S&W or .45acp version?

Kind of funny that this pops up as I head to the FFL to do the paperwork on my newly acquired Winchester 1907 Police model today...

Rusty

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Resembles the old Marlin camp carbine. I'd be first in line if they offered a 45 ACP - personally not interested in a 9mm.
    A Henry Homesteader blow-back in 45 ACP would be doable. And a lot more reasonably priced than the AO 1929 semi auto Thompson. Personally I’d buy some dies and go with an M-1 carbine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    If you click on the specifications, you will see there are three different models. Each corresponding to which magazine it will accept. Only, the original one, that accepts Henry magazines, ships with magazines. I don't own any Glocks, but do own a P320 Sig. So that's the model I'm interested in.

Winelover
    Per the specifications, all versions will ship with Henry magazines. The extra $30 for a Glock or a SIG version gets you a magazine adapter but no Glock or SIG magazine included.

I haven't seen a picture of an adapter yet. I assume the entire Henry magazine well is removed from the rifle, then the adapter is installed. The only other alternative I can think of is having adapters clamped on individual magazines, which would get expensive in a hurry.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 02-15-2023 at 03:45 PM.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    I'll stick with my Beretta Storm. Same magazine as my 92, and darn accurate!

Boolit Grand Master
    At the very least, it looks better than the high dollar box magazine fed lever action 9mm that was shown a few days ago.

I have no real need for one, but I can see how useful one would be if you were already into 9mm and had a few extra magazines.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    At the very least, it looks better than the high dollar box magazine fed lever action 9mm that was shown a few days ago.

I have no real need for one, but I can see how useful one would be if you were already into 9mm and had a few extra magazines.

Robert
    For someone who doesn't reload, it could be a viable alternative to a revolver caliber lever action with expensive and hard to find ammo. At least one guy on this forum reports that his PC Carbine will take deer just fine at reasonable range.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is going to have to be heads and shoulders better than a Hi-Point to interest me. My only use for it would be as a mid range varmint gun. If I was a city dweller, it would have use as a home defense gun but where I live, the AR in 5.56 makes more sense for situations for a threat at ranges over 25 yards. Close in, I would reach for the Mossberg anyway.

I can throw a Hi-Point in the cab of the tractor or back of the PU truck and not worry about dinging it up. Sure, the Hi-Point is a "piece of junk" that might give 5" groups at 100 yards on its best day. But for coyotes and the hopefully rare need to address two legged varmints, it will work to 100 yards.

It will be interesting to see some accuracy results for the new Henry. If it can hold 3" at 100 yards, it might be worth paying double to have it sitting next to the front door. I do like the ability to use Glock magazines...but not $350 worth of "like".
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    At the very least, it looks better than the high dollar box magazine fed lever action 9mm that was shown a few days ago….Robert
    That is for sure!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Per the specifications, all versions will ship with Henry magazines. The extra $30 for a Glock or a SIG version gets you a magazine adapter but no Glock or SIG magazine included.

I haven't seen a picture of an adapter yet. I assume the entire Henry magazine well is removed from the rifle, then the adapter is installed. The only other alternative I can think of is having adapters clamped on individual magazines, which would get expensive in a hurry.
    Update: Pictures of the guns with adapters can be found here https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...mesteader-9mm/
    Looks like Henry went with the replacement mag well concept. Good for them.
    Brownells has a placeholder webpage up, saying they will sell them for $855 to $885.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Little rich for my blood, but moving in the right direction IMO.

Most people do not need a full up battle rifle in .30-06 for home defense. And frankly would not care for the recoil.

But a blowback 9mm would do fine, and let you have some fun plinking and hunting varmints as well.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It is going to have to be heads and shoulders better than a Hi-Point to interest me. My only use for it would be as a mid range varmint gun. If I was a city dweller, it would have use as a home defense gun but where I live, the AR in 5.56 makes more sense for situations for a threat at ranges over 25 yards. Close in, I would reach for the Mossberg anyway.

I can throw a Hi-Point in the cab of the tractor or back of the PU truck and not worry about dinging it up. Sure, the Hi-Point is a "piece of junk" that might give 5" groups at 100 yards on its best day. But for coyotes and the hopefully rare need to address two legged varmints, it will work to 100 yards.

It will be interesting to see some accuracy results for the new Henry. If it can hold 3" at 100 yards, it might be worth paying double to have it sitting next to the front door. I do like the ability to use Glock magazines...but not $350 worth of "like".
    If Hi-Point made a carbine that takes Glock mags it would practically be a license to print money and they would be hit with a tsunami of demand. I don't want any 9mm carbine bad enough to have to deal with yet another proprietary mag, but a low cost carbine using mags I already have in stock would definitely push me over the edge.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    For someone who doesn't reload I think this would be a very smart choice. I had a Ruger PC carbine for awhile. Nice gun but felt alot bigger than it really was and I never could get the kind of accuracy I wanted so it went down the road. I'm thinking if I ever get another bigger than typical pistol 9mm it will be an AR pistol or SBR. My .357 carbines have spoiled me and for the same money as the Homesteader I would rather buy a Big Boy.
    I mounted a Simmons scope on my PC carbine. Provided I can hold steady enough, bullseyes at 80 yards are not a problem.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    If Hi-Point made a carbine that takes Glock mags it would practically be a license to print money and they would be hit with a tsunami of demand. I don't want any 9mm carbine bad enough to have to deal with yet another proprietary mag, but a low cost carbine using mags I already have in stock would definitely push me over the edge.
    I feel the same way but $850 is certainly not low cost. I came close to getting the Ruger PC9 so I could use Glock mags but not at twice the cost of a Hi-Point and not for a "knock about" gun. When I bought mine, I got three free 20 rd magazines with it. New 10 round mags are $18.50 and 20 rounders are $27.

But to your point, Ruger solved the "if only it took Glock mags" issue out of the buying decision but did you buy one? This Henry will cost $250 more and what does it so that the PC9 does not do?

I do not see this being a commercial success. It is prettier than the PC9 but that actually is a negative for a "working gun".

It is like the new .360 Buckhammer. It is a great offering, but the .350 Legend was first out of the gate and captured much of the market. The hype we will see from the gun rags may actually drive people to get the PC9 to "scratch the itch". The practical and financially challenged folks will buy Hi-Points plus 2000 rounds of ammunition. Folks like me who already have a semi-auto pistol carbine will find it difficult to invest $850 for a prettier version.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Resembles the old Marlin camp carbine. I'd be first in line if they offered a 45 ACP - personally not interested in a 9mm.
    I have the 45 camp and love it. I really didn't care for the 9 version so I got the Beretta Storm which I really like. Also have the hi-point in 10mm. I've really tried to like the Henry's and have a few but I will stick with what I have. The Beretta Storm also offers the adapters which work well for me.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    With multiple magazine magazine options , Beretta 92 , Browning High Power and CZ75 would be nice to offer .

Jack
    Amen to that ! I have a lot of magazines for the CZ75.

I wasn't implying that the new Henry is low cost, rather that a Hi-Point using Glock mags would be.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    But to your point, Ruger solved the "if only it took Glock mags" issue out of the buying decision but did you buy one? This Henry will cost $250 more and what does it so that the PC9 does not do?
    I did buy one in fact. Neat gun, but I just never really warmed up to it and my particular example didn't shoot boolits all that well. I needed money for an upcoming vacation with my kid, a gent offered me most of what I paid for it, and so it went down the road. If I was going to buy another pistol caliber carbine for what the new Homesteader costs, it would be another .357 lever action or a Colt 635 lookalike just 'cause I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I am really liking that real live wood stock and fore end. Black plastic stocks just don't "do it" for this old geeezer!
    For what it's worth, the looks won't excite the hoplophobes nearly as much as a 9mm AR.

At my age I'm not buying any new guns, but if I were younger........
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger is getting into or back into the lever action market and now Henry is getting into the semi-auto market. What is this world coming to.

Maybe Henry will come out with a Golden Boy AR15. That thing would probably weigh 12lbs.

One can only hope
    quando omni flunkus moritati

I am surprised that no one asked for a .40 S&W, 10MM or .45 ACP? Aren't those the calibers everyone wants. I always like the guys who say that if they made it in ?_______? Caliber I'd buy one. They did the same thing with the Ruger PCC.

Lots of people want something that is slightly different than what is offered. And if you then provide it,,, they still don't buy it for a different excuse. Sometimes you just have to buy what is offered.

They will sell a ton of these guns. I don't plan on buying one even if they made it in .40 S&W since I don't do 9MM anything. Also it won't do anything that my Ruger PCC in .40 S&W won't do. Especially since mine is already set up and ready to go... So none for me.

But the gun looks good and they will sell a ton of them!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2272.jpg  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast