RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Lee Loader info needed

Boolit Buddy

.38 Special Lee Loader info needed

I recently ended up with a Lee Loader in .38 Special. Everything is there and complete except for the Instruction/Load information. Could someone who has that info please send me a copy via P.M. Thanks.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    looking... I may have it...
    I did think it is available online... Google Can Be your friend..

Boolit Master

Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Grand Master

I started reloading in 1969 with a 38 Special Lee Loader. My only addition was a scale, beam not digital. One consideration is priming. Make sure the priming base is clean and the plate free moving. I like Lee Loaders and still have 7...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Its nice to have instructions, But those things are kind of intuitive. Lee made em simple. The dipper's still work for me.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

We will need more info to be able to help. Is your Lee Loader in a cardboard box, a 2 piece red plastic box, a 1 piece red plastic box. Also what color are the powder scoops. I have data for one of the early ones but it has a metal powder scoop, made only in 1963. Lee's site has most of the powder charts ( except the 6.5x55 swede) and the loading instructions are the same on all years. james

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info folks, I appreciate it.

Better late than never info: Red and black cardboard box with styrofoam insert, black plastic scoop.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to hang out on the Lee-loader.com forum (yes you haters, there is such a place!) and they have lots of good stuff posted there including a bunch of the data cards, both older and more recent. I can’t remember whether they had the instruction sheet on or not, but i know the old and new data cards are there... I posted them. If you can’t find an instruction sheet, PM me with your email address and I’ll send you a scan of one of mine. BTW, as the original Lee Custom broke up, the last of the sets in the old black and red cardboard boxed set came with a neat red plastic hand priming tool that eliminated the objectionable whack BOOM priming procedure that many careless reloaders experienced and complained about.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I used to hang out on the Lee-loader.com forum (yes you haters, there is such a place!) and they have lots of good stuff posted there including a bunch of the data cards, both older and more recent. I can’t remember whether they had the instruction sheet on or not, but i know the old and new data cards are there... I posted them. If you can’t find an instruction sheet, PM me with your email address and I’ll send you a scan of one of mine. BTW, as the original Lee Custom broke up, the last of the sets in the old black and red cardboard boxed set came with a neat red plastic hand priming tool that eliminated the objectionable whack BOOM priming procedure that many careless reloaders experienced and complained about.

Froggie
    Yes... the last one I purchased...was in a plastic box, and had a pretty darn good hand primer... I still use it for onesy, twosy's
    One thing I vividly recall... Do Not inadvertently use the decapper and try to seat primers!!! Stuck that sucker in the ceiling pretty good...LOL
    Doing it By the Book...I never had a moments problem...but was "gun shy" for a time...LOL

Boolit Buddy
    PM'ed you froggie. Thank you.
    NRA Life 1992

Boolit Buddy

My 38 special and 270 are red box. I was just starting out but was real uncomfortable priming. I bought a Lee primer with round tray and a set of yellow scoops around 1980. Still using same priming tool.
    I didn't know about Lee loader site, something else to check out. To

Boolit Grand Master

I still drop by the Lee Loader forum a few times each week. Lots of good, unbiased information and sharing...

http://www.lee-loader.com/index.php

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    .... Do Not inadvertently use the decapper and try to seat primers!!! Stuck that sucker in the ceiling pretty good…
    I use the decapper and base to salvage primers. Light taps with a 8 ounce leather mallet and wear a left hand leather glove just in case. Never had the decapper go airborne but there’s always a first time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I use the decapper and base to salvage primers. Light taps with a 8 ounce leather mallet and wear a left hand leather glove just in case. Never had the decapper go airborne but there’s always a first time.
    Wow... Do Not look down on it... let er fly!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    The danger of decapping live primers is somewhat overstated IMO. Just be gentle and let the primer get pushed out. Remember, it's the impact that sets them off! Over the years I've probably removed and reused a couple of dozen or more.

Then again, maybe I've just been lucky... you have to decide for yourself what that primer is worth to you if you salvage it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    The danger of decapping live primers is somewhat overstated IMO. Just be gentle and let the primer get pushed out. Remember, it's the impact that sets them off! Over the years I've probably removed and reused a couple of dozen or more.

Then again, maybe I've just been lucky... you have to decide for yourself what that primer is worth to you if you salvage it.

Froggie
    well said... If (big Word) If ya have a press... nothing in the world to pushing live primers out... not including military Crimped ones!!
    Hitting with hammer??? Not recommended... gonna put holes in ceiling!!

Boolit Master

I have to agree with the Green Frog, depriming live primers is not a problem if done right. A wooden mallet, or leather mallet and light taps will do the job without setting a primer off. Just be sure to set your depriming shell holder on a wooden block ; I use a cut section of 2x4 for that. I have deprimed well over 200 hundred primed case of different calibers and have only set one or two off and that was many years ago when I first started reloading with a Lee Loader. The 2 I set off were in the priming process and not depriming. My expereince anyway, james

Boolit Grand Master

As Mr. Frog and Mr. Sailor mentioned, removing "live" primers is completely safe, if common sense is used. When I had been reloading just a few weeks I took apart a primer to see how it works. Obviously a sharp blow to the cup will crush the compound between the cup and anvil, igniting the compound (convincing me that primers needed to be seated all the way to the bottom of the pocket, solidly supporting the anvil). Pushing a primer out from the case does not provide the blow necessary to crush and ignite the compound...

I have a Lee Loader in .38. For the life of me, I have not been able to load CB's, and not have a little shaving of lead come off during seating. For my purposes it's not that big of a deal (I'm loading for a .38 snubby, shooting at close range). Still, I've not been able to figure out why it's doing that! If you gain some skills with using it, please share them.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John in WI View Post
    I have a Lee Loader in .38. For the life of me, I have not been able to load CB's, and not have a little shaving of lead come off during seating. For my purposes it's not that big of a deal (I'm loading for a .38 snubby, shooting at close range). Still, I've not been able to figure out why it's doing that! If you gain some skills with using it, please share them.
    My set (this one in the plastic box) has a very nice case Belling gizmo.. i always pushed it on/down by hand, but to get all the wau to the shoulder.. I may have needed the Mallet!!! Belled Plenty...as I recall... I will bust it out and double check...in awhile!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast