RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead Removal from a Rifle Barrel

Boolit Buddy

Lead Removal from a Rifle Barrel

I found the sticky

Used search engine and it seem to give me everything but what I'm looking for. I've only dealt with pistols leading and I caught it pretty quick, and it was an easy task using NO. 9, nylon brush and patch.

I have a 30-30 that has leading in the grooves and the above mentioned doesn't seem to be working very well. Searching on the net, the preferred method was to use a chor boy copper strands wrapped around a copper brush using Ed's Red (if I remember correctly).

Is this the best method known or?

If this has been discussed which I'm sure it has, please provide a link.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 02-14-2023 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Found Information

The scouring pad over a bronze brush works well; it might take a few passes. Make sure to check the pad with a magnet. Some of them are copper-plated steel.

Another trick I have used is to coat the bore with Kroil, a penetrating oil made by Kano company. Let it sit for a day, then proceed to regular cleaning. It appears to loosen the adhesion of the lead to the barrel.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Bronze brush wrapped in copper pad or the frontier 45 pad that looks like stainless. Then any of the lead specific cleaners to get anything left over.

Use a cleaning patch on the brush and then wrap the cleaning patch with a couple strand of Chor-Boy. I find that this holds the strands above the bristles and keeps them from getting buried in the brush. Check to make sure the strand of Choe-Boy are not getting flattened.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Holland’s Witches Brew makes quick work of lead and copper fouling. 2 patches works for most of my barrels. A little of it goes a long way.

Boolit Master

I have always used Lewis Lead Removers myself and they work great. They also made a kit to use in rifles with a cleaning rod. These will be tough to find as they did not make them very long. Lewis is out of business now I think. james

Boolit Master

This stuff works great, But you need both https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014881110?pid=588466, https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101488052?pid=112089. 15 minutes with the lead out and a few patches then the wipe out. Been around for a while and they have changed the process, but it works. May have to work that cycle a few times. You can also wrap a chore boy around a brass brush but requires a good deal of scrubbing.

Boolit Master
    Bortec eliminator, wrap a patch around a nylon brush, a few wet passes and let soak, then a tight dry patch, then soak again, usually all will be gone, if not repeat again for one or two more times, should be clean, then oil....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    This stuff works great, But you need both https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014881110?pid=588466, https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101488052?pid=112089. 15 minutes with the lead out and a few patches then the wipe out. Been around for a while and they have changed the process, but it works. May have to work that cycle a few times. You can also wrap a chore boy around a brass brush but requires a good deal of scrubbing.
    When you say both, lead out and the Sharp shoot R wipe-out ?

the old time method works best - plug + fill bore with mercury + let set over night - handle it carefully only toxic if ingested, inhaled, or contact with eyes, etc. - the mercury can be reused indefinitely just use with caution + common sense -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I have always used Lewis Lead Removers myself and they work great. They also made a kit to use in rifles with a cleaning rod. These will be tough to find as they did not make them very long. Lewis is out of business now I think. james
    Still around and available:
    https://www.brownells.com/search/ind...over&ksubmit=y

Nylon brush won't touch true leading.

Bronze brush wrapped in (true copper*) ChoreBoy / pretty much any penetrating light oil
    (Kroil, Lock-Ease, PB-Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc) will make very quick work of it.

*( Take a magnet w/ you to the store )

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    Holland’s Witches Brew makes quick work of lead and copper fouling. 2 patches works for most of my barrels. A little of it goes a long way.
    I will have to give that a try. I haven't found anything that does a good job on both lead and copper.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I haven't created leading serious enough to use the copper pads . For minor leading several gas checked bullets with enough lube seems to work .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

You want the absolute best thing for getting the lead out ???

It's called a " Lewis Lead Remover "

It is made to do one thing ... which it does better than anything else .

Brownell's has them maybe . I believe Hoppe's and maybe another company now make a knock off of the Lewis tool ... do a search .
    The lead remover still exists in one form or another .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 02-15-2023 at 11:22 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

another approach
    I use brass pile screens 1" for .45 caliber
    they are round mesh that fit over a jag
    they are tight to the bore which is what you want
    Kroil overnight then this works fine for me

https://www.amazon.com/200pcs-Brass-...c%2C126&sr=1-1
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    The leading in the rifle was due to my son shooting someone else's cast reloads through it when I loaned it to him. I was able to get a cleaning rod (brass brush/chor boy) through once I let the solvent set a while. It looks clean/clear now by the naked eye. I ordered a bore scope (gave me an excuse to buy one) to take a closer look.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    another approach
    I use brass pile screens 1" for .45 caliber
    they are round mesh that fit over a jag
    they are tight to the bore which is what you want
    Kroil overnight then this works fine for me

https://www.amazon.com/200pcs-Brass-...c%2C126&sr=1-1
    Now that is a good find!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    The leading in the rifle was due to my son shooting someone else's cast reloads through it when I loaned it to him. I was able to get a cleaning rod (brass brush/chor boy) through once I let the solvent set a while. It looks clean/clear now by the naked eye. I ordered a bore scope (gave me an excuse to buy one) to take a closer look.
    Noooooo!
    Never use a bore scope!
    It’ll just drive you mad.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    When you say both, lead out and the Sharp shoot R wipe-out ?
    Yes, The new directions say to run a nylon brush through with the lead out, wait up to 15 minutes, dry patch and then a brush with wipe out to neutralize the Lead out. Works great! Repeat if necessary. Don't leave it on for longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast