Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead Removal from a Rifle Barrel

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Noooooo!
    Never use a bore scope!
    It’ll just drive you mad.
    LMAO...you mean like seeing particles left by a cleaning patch, dust, or the heat cracks in the metal near the throat, etc. Even though I like things being done right, I try to be reasonable and not OCD....at least most of the time

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Noooooo!
    Never use a bore scope!
    It’ll just drive you mad.
    Most don't know what they are seeing when they DO use one. I had friends looking at a rifle with one last summer, and they thought the bore looked perfect. I took a look, and saw the barrel was frosted from one end to the other. Once I showed them what I was seeing, they didn't think that much of that particular barrel.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Cylinder & Slide used to see a very mild steel version of a pot scrubber that would not hurt barrels and did a number on lead in short order. Same process, wrap it around an old worn bore brush. Check their website.
    Regards,
    Rob

Boolit Mold
    I've been using a piece of chore boy wrapped around a mop. Was just thinking of taking the mop with the chore boy and attaching it to a drill and using a low speed running it through the barrel . Yes or no.
    USN (ret)

I would think the spinning of the drill would defeat the purpose of the ChorBoy. You want the copper strands to slide down and grab the lead. The spinning may just rub it into the grooves more.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

-- DupeDelete --
    Last edited by mehavey; 03-22-2023 at 11:29 AM.

The only chore-boy "spin" should in slowly following the grooves to scrape them out in the direction of travel
    No other rotation.
    Ball-bearing cleaning rod handle helps here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I have always used Lewis Lead Removers myself and they work great. They also made a kit to use in rifles with a cleaning rod. These will be tough to find as they did not make them very long. Lewis is out of business now I think. james
    As mentioned they're still in business. Got a 30 cal kit from Brownell's a while back. It threads into a regular 30 cal rod to pull through.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Glad I read this discussion. I went to the Brownell website and got a 30/32 caliber Lewis Lead Remover kit on the way. Put in a request to be notified when the 35 caliber version is back in stock. I know how well they work because I bought a 44 caliber pistol version 40 years ago for my 44 Magnum revolver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12