MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: the Nordic gods smile down on Swedish Mauser shooters

Boolit Master

the Nordic gods smile down on Swedish Mauser shooters

Greetings good felloes

A couple decades ago Century Arms in Vermont was selling off this m/12 kammerpatrone 6.5x55 for $60 a sealed case of 1,400 rds. Free shipping. And it actually had a much more practical use than the wooden tip blanks. The m/12 was useful for kids popping balloons or soda cans. It went bang and fired off a little cup projectile. This stuff is/was much cleaner than the later sold-off m/14 los patrone (wood tip blanks).

The joy was to be repeated when that gun store in Arizona was selling off large amounts of the m/14 wooden tip stuff. Cheap.

Now the secret has been out as to the ~alternative~ use of this Swede ammo. Some of us sat in darkened basement reloading rooms, hidden from the outside world, drooling whilst using small neednose vice-grips to wrest out the little brass cup and dumping the powder in a tupperware ('cause you heard on the interwebs youse could use that powder for almost everything including your lawnmower). The neighbors didn't hear the maniacal giggling as you rocked back and forth periodically yelling out audible rants about how smart you are when everybody else in the entire world ran out of primers and you have thousands of primed cases for your beloved Swedish Mauser even using its own powder to send those cheap cast bullets downrange into tiny little groups while your shooting buddies sit home and watch football. Life is good if you do Swedish Mausers and could read the writing on the walls.

~many a good felloes allow a wheel to roll~

Dutch

Boolit Master
    Dutchman: That's such nice stuff. The quality machining & finish. The wood to metal fit up that's so much better than a military rifle needs to be. Swede Mauser's are just top notch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Dutchman: That's such nice stuff. The quality machining & finish. The wood to metal fit up that's so much better than a military rifle needs to be. Swede Mauser's are just top notch.
    Yet is says right on top of it
    Made at Military firearms plant Oberndorf

I once found a batch of 6.5x55 training ammo loaded with (I believe) 5 grams bullets. They shot very well and recoil was non-existing.
    Cap'n Morgan

I think J&G Sales still has the red wooden bullet training ammo in quantity.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    There’s nothing like artisanal quality. Those guns were made by masters. I have two. There is no comparison to what is mass produced today. Granted today, the quality produced doesn’t lend itself to the highest quantity.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Those two pics in the OP almost made me swoon.

We already knew Dutchman’s Momma raised him right, now, if we could just get him to train some kid with smarts between his ears to make Dutchman’s Scout Mounts,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I really need to get my Swedes going again.

I have a quantity of Remington 140gr bullets that have a cannelure in the right place for these rifles that work well with surplus WW 852, but I've always intended to shoot cast. I have a Lyman mold that I need to start using.

I think it would be a lot of fun at the range with a Red Dot or 2400 load.

Oh, now the Swede is a legend in itself. When they were $69 I bought 12, then bought two armory never mounted actions and four new M-38 24" barrels in the white. Think I still have a dozen 96s.

I just took an action out of the plastic bag, where it has been for near 30 years. It is a new Husky dated 1943.

Been contemplating a 358 Win cast bullet conversion, note the fit on the 96 follower.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2F2051D8-1E05-43F7-8ED8-BCEFCC104322.jpg   BFFD6A70-213C-4095-8E72-548D452D2959.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Oh, now the Swede is a legend in itself. When they were $69 I bought 12, then bought two armory never mounted actions and four new M-38 24" barrels in the white. Think I still have a dozen 96s.

I just took an action out of the plastic bag, where it has been for near 30 years. It is a new Husky dated 1943.

Been contemplating a 358 Win cast bullet conversion, note the fit on the 96 follower.
    That's a fantastic stash you made. I didn't get into the 96s and 38s until the later 90s when they were running around the $250 range. I have a couple of each. Those NIB actions sound fantastic.

I've always wanted a .358 as well and it does look like the two will get along. My only concern would be putting a 52,000 psi cartridge into a 46,000 psi action. I know the Swedes are stronger than they need to be, but I have always understood that a big contributor to them finally retiring them was a few failures due to age related fatigue.

Boolit Grand Master

What a beautiful rifle, you couldn't buy new brass for that price today! I've gotta get my Husky out to play with the cruise missile boolits again.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus
    I have pulled a lot of wooden bullets! The rounds were priced about the same as primers back in the “old days” of normal pricing. I still have one or two of the 400 round battle packs I haven’t opened yet, as well as a lot of emptied brass waiting to be loaded.

I picked up 100 or so rounds with the brass bullet a week or so ago at a garage sale. I haven’t shot any of them yet.

As much as I like my Swedish Mauser, I like my CG-63 just as much.