MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Extensional Handloader meets the Karmic Master: Reality

Boolit Master

Arrow The Extensional Handloader meets the Karmic Master: Reality

A month ago I put out a query on a private email list of gun collectors that I was in need of empty brass, namely .38 Special, .45 acp and 9x19. I got one reply with this:
    4,700 .38 Special
    3,000 .45 acp
    350 .357 Magnum
    Delivered price was 5 cents each to include priority mail (3 boxes). Its not that I need that much brass but I asked and the good fellow replied and its a done deal.

In the last year I bought a 4 lb keg of 700X back when powder was nearly non existent. It was the only powder on the shelf and I've used it before in handguns but its also quite useful for cast bullet loads in bottleneck rifles. So it sits unopened in reserve.

Then Powder Valley had 5744 8 lb keg and I jumped on that because it will load all my rifle cast bullet loads and has been useful for the Swedish rolling block 12,7x44R so now that keg sits unopened.

Then miracle of miracles an 8 lb keg of UNIQUE shows itself from Powder Valley and being this was the first time in TWO years I've seen it available. I jumped really fast on that one and for $31/pound delivered it now sits unopened, waiting.

I have been prudent in bullet casting for the many molds I now use. I didn't really want to get back into casting for handguns but there was that 3 cavity NOE mold for 9mm on the S&S forum and I jumped on it. It drops .358" so theoretically I can use it for .38 Special as well as 9x19mm.

I'm fat dumb and happy rolling in brass and powder and casting ingots from das Kapitan of this forum.

This is where the Karmic b-t-h visits you. When your copious joy shines to the heavens drunk on the manna that feeds your beloved handloading press (Lee turret).

Powder Valley has Argentine SP primers for $80/M with a 2M limit. Two thousand is about half of what I could use in the next year. It boils down to $200 for two thousand SP primers delivered. Ten cents for one single primer. Most of us here are from the days of penny primers. One cent for one primer. Take a deep breath and do the right thing...... he says to himself.

The powder kegs are bought and paid for. Money no longer exits. Same with the empty brass. The $400 for that 8,000 pieces of brass has washed so far down the stream of life that I'll never see it again. But I probably will never again have to buy brass for .38 Special, .45 acp, or 9mm.

And then it hit me...

You think handloading ammo you'll never shoot is any different than this? That, my friends, is extensionalism.

existentialism
    noun
    ex·​is·​ten·​tial·​ism ˌeg-(ˌ)zi-ˈsten(t)-shə-ˌli-zəm
    ˌek-(ˌ)si-
    : a chiefly 20th century philosophical movement embracing diverse doctrines but centering on analysis of individual existence in an unfathomable universe and the plight of the individual who must assume ultimate responsibility for acts of free will without any certain knowledge of what is right or wrong or good or bad

Boolit Master
    So you title SHOULD read "The EXISTENTIALIST Handloader Meets The Karmic Master: Reality"?
    I don't mean to detract from your post, I'm just trying to make sure that I understand the point you intend to convey.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Too deep for me !!!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

I don't know why we do it, maybe we're simply hoarders. I keep telling myself that my grandson, will get some time off work to enjoy some of the guns I've given him and learn to love reloading and casting. I have a like hoard, however it's rifle casings, powder, primers, molds. etc. etc. etc. The handgun and shotgun hoard ain't bad either. In fact, the .38spl. stash is senseless. I only have one gun chambered for it, a 1930's vintage S&W M&P I don't even shoot!

Maybe ''hoarder'' is the wrong term, we've been through at least three shortages now and have learned the value of stacking it deep. We've learned the value of being independant from the supply chain for extended periods.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master

I guess you have already bought the primers but Southern Defense has them for $65/K no hazmat and $35 shipping!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I don't know why we do it, maybe we're simply hoarders. I keep telling myself that my grandson, will get some time off work to enjoy some of the guns I've given him and learn to love reloading and casting. I have a like hoard, however it's rifle casings, powder, primers, molds. etc. etc. etc. The handgun and shotgun hoard ain't bad either. In fact, the .38spl. stash is senseless. I only have one gun chambered for it, a 1930's vintage S&W M&P I don't even shoot!

Maybe ''hoarder'' is the wrong term, we've been through at least three shortages now and have learned the value of stacking it deep. We've learned the value of being independant from the supply chain for extended periods.
    Once is happenstance. Twice is circumstance. Third time is enemy action. Besides, it's not hording if you really need it. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Bill

I learned to buy in bulk out of necessity.
    Primers? never less than 5000 at a whack.
    Powder? Usually split a case of 8lb with a fellow shooter.
    Lead? 2500 lbs of wheel weights from a friend that closed his tire shop.
    Linotype? 4 25 lb pigs. Still working on them - just finished my first pig after many years and started on the 2nd. I have more than I will ever use.
    Brass? Bought them cheap back in the day (10,000 9mm and 223) and I pick up everything. I think i am adding to my brass stash every range trip.
    Just now loading my 38 stash for the next year or so - 1500-2000 H&G 51's.
    I haven't done many smart things in my life, but stocking up turned out to be one of them.
    No shortage here.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I learned to buy in bulk out of necessity.
    Primers? never less than 5000 at a whack.
    Powder? Usually split a case of 8lb with a fellow shooter.
    Lead? 2500 lbs of wheel weights from a friend that closed his tire shop.
    Linotype? 4 25 lb pigs. Still working on them - just finished my first pig after many years and started on the 2nd. I have more than I will ever use.
    Brass? Bought them cheap back in the day (10,000 9mm and 223) and I pick up everything. I think i am adding to my brass stash every range trip.
    Just now loading my 38 stash for the next year or so - 1500-2000 H&G 51's.
    I haven't done many smart things in my life, but stocking up turned out to be one of them.
    No shortage here.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I am of the same mindset, albeit on a smaller scale.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

Yet no matter how much you have stashed, you happen upon something that will improve your chances of making it through this period of shortages. The dozens of posts in threads related to this topic are either by those who stocked up in times of plenty and those who plan to when it again becomes possible.
    I’m to the point where I can continue to enjoy my hobby for the foreseeable future and everything I need to do so fits in an area of roughly 10 x 6 x 2 feet (120 cubic feet). Would I jump on a good deal? Sure. But it won’t break my heart if I don’t.
    I can’t take any of it with me.

Having components HERE beats looking for them THERE any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Currently (and from now on) they will cost more than they did, but what doesn’t when fools are in charge?
    My justification goes like this- a brick of primers locally is $100+tax.
    So is taking my family out for a hamburger.
    The primers are a much better deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A while ago I bought dies for 45 ACP because a friend told me he had a 45 pistol, and I was going to surprise him with some handloads. When we went to the range, he expressed complete surprise that his pistol was actually a 40 S&W. So naturally I had to buy a 45 ACP pistol. Although it is the pistol I shoot the least, it is also the one I have the most ammo for on the shelf.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    A while ago I bought dies for 45 ACP because a friend told me he had a 45 pistol, and I was going to surprise him with some handloads….Wayne
    A truly good friend is one who purchased dies and components solely to help out those less inclined. I have done so also and know the joy of giving surpasses any appreciation expressed in return.

Boolit Master

Until I read this thread(especially the OP), I never understood why I had all this stuff. It started back when Obummer was first elected. I learned my lesson when Clinton was in office. I've got more than I will ever use, both primers and powder. My biggest problem is that brass takes up more room that either.
    Hopefully, my sons/grandsons will be interested enough to use all this someday. If not, they can sell it for a profit since they will have no $$ invested.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I bought all reloading supply's, ammo, lead, brass, in bulk in the past, out of necessity, I was feeding the habit of myself and three sons, now its only me, and I wish I would have bought more !

Boolit Buddy
    I have my share and that is all I am saying about it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Having components HERE beats looking for them THERE any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The primers are a much better deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You ain't kiddin!

Boolit Master

Powder Valley sent me a $10 coupon plus free shipping.. Came to $183.10 for 2,000 small pistol primers.

Dutch

Boolit Master

Good posts here. From the sounds of things a lot of us are of the same mind. Whew, glad to know its not just me.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Good posts here. From the sounds of things a lot of us are of the same mind. Whew, glad to know its not just me.
    The problem here is that while the shortage is here, components are expensive, especially primers.....assuming you can find them at all. Powder and brass and bullets are not totally in the same availability, particularly to we casters.
    When primers start showing up again, and at a reasonable price (if that ever happens), we will buy all we can get our hands on, thus causing ANOTHER shortage.
    I have to say, I am down to my last 3000 small pistol. Plenty of small and large rifle and large pistol. That makes me nervous, but the other side is that I have plenty of loaded ammo in the closet.
    I guess I have reached the point that I want the components AND the ammo.
    Sort of like stocking up on toilet paper.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast