Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Snubbie .357 Load for 2.5" BBL S&W 640-1 .357

Boolit Master

Snubbie .357 Load for 2.5" BBL S&W 640-1 .357

I just picked up a mint S&W 640-1 Pro Series .357 mag. It has the 2.5" barrel and dovetailed front and rear night sights, and is cut for moon clips which I have. I'm looking for a moderate, non- bone-rending load shooting my Lyman 358156 HP GC boolits cast from 1:20 lubed with LLA. I have Unique, 2400, 231, Titegroup, Red Dot, HS-6 and CFE Pistol to play with. All advice will be appreciated. GF

You're going to have fun with that 1!!!

You might want to visit the buffalo bore ammunition website and look at their 38spl & 357mag ammo's. They have real world testing with short bbl'd revolvers listed that will give you an idea of what to expect velocity wise.
    https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=9fa41...UuY29tLw&ntb=1

I tested that same bullet (358156hp) , actually 2 different versions small and large diameter hp pins along with 9 other cast and swaged bullets in a snub nosed 38spl (2" bbl). And a snubnosed 357mag that had a 2 1/2" bbl.

Recoil was pretty intense with the snubnosed ca undercover with max p+ loads and heavy bullets. My brother has a ported 640 357mag and it's still a handful with hot 357mag loads. Most 38spl and 357mag ammo uses a +/- 158gr bullet and their sights are chosen accordingly.

What I ended up doing is testing lighter bullets in the snubnosed 38spl and was impressed with the cramer #33 115gr bullet. It was designed for "indoor" use but did 1100fps+ in that snubnosed 38spl. Recoil was impressively less than the +/- 158gr bullets/loads. That 115gr bullet shot 5" low @ 7yds which was no big deal to me. Smaller/shorter front sights are a good thing on ccw pieces.
    [IMG][/IMG]

For the snubnosed 357mag I went with a heavy bullet, a 170gr fn. I cast it with a mp 640 series mold, 158gr hp's left/170gr fn right.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Ended up using a 14.7gr load of 2400 with that 170gr bullet. It did 1200fps+ in this 2 1/2" bbl'd s&w 586 l-comp revolver.

The comp does what it should & the revolver is also cut for moon clips and holds 7 shots.

Anyway I'd do a bunch of testing with different bullets/bullet weights. That snubnosed 640 is a fantastic carry revolver and you'll end up with several impressive loads with it.

Boolit Master
    I've got a Ruger Security Six with a 2.75" barrel. My load for it is the plain-Jane bread & butter rcbs 158 grain swc with 6.0 grains of Unique. Not flashy, but it works every time.

Boolit Grand Master
    6.0 Grains of Unique, 6.0 grains of 231, 5.0 grains of Reddot or Titegroup: any of these will give a healthy boost over 38 special loads, without being too much of a good thing. I have used the Reddot, 231 and Unique loads with a 358-477 the most, but I cannot say that any one of them was much better than the others. The Unique load I have used with the 358-156 with very good accuracy, though mine is not hollow-pointed.

The 358-156 is a darned good boolit in the 357 mag, but I have mostly used it with H-110 in a carbine, because gas checks cost money, and I can get by with plain base boolits in my revolvers, as long as I don't try to reach mach II with them.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 02-16-2023 at 01:02 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.