Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chronograph for small caliber high speed bullets???

Boolit Mold
    I might be missing something. I asked what kind of accuracy and the closest answer was "pretty good" . Is the object high velocity or'extreme accuracy'? I'm probably just a dumb redneck- or bubba- if you prefer, but would 1 minute, 3 minutes , or 100 minutes be too hard to say? I don't know what a Saubier is so that didn't help. John

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 577450 View Post
    I don't know what a Saubier is so that didn't help. John
    http://www.saubier.com/forum.html
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Accuracy View Post
    Geo, I don’t like to post the brand as the company did work with me years ago to try to get the chronograph to work with the small calibers. It is a CED millennium which even with the purchased extra IR kit and blast baffles just isn’t up to reading the small caliber high speed rounds. I believe their newer unit is supposed to be good up to 7000 fps from their advertisements but I’d really like to know what caliber bullets they are reading those velocities with.
    If an orgininal Millenium it might not work, but the M2 is rated to 7,000fps. My original Millenium "brain" died and I replaced it with an M2 keeping all the original paraphenalia (skyscreens, infrared, etc, etc.). I've run as much as 3508fps across the new one without issue.

CED claims the M2 doubled the operating speed of the original, so you may be at the design limits if yours is an original.

Boolit Mold

Here's a pick of the development loads.

I might be missing something. I asked what kind of accuracy and the closest answer was "pretty good" . Is the object high velocity or'extreme accuracy'? I'm probably just a dumb redneck- or bubba- if you prefer, but would 1 minute, 3 minutes , or 100 minutes be too hard to say? I don't know what a Saubier is so that didn't help. John
    These tests are trying to determine bullet stability in the high speed twist 14 caliber barrels (1 in 7 twist). The accuracy will need tweeked in after I find the speed range of the bullets. As I run up the ladder test these loads showed "pretty good" results in that speed range. As the bullets top over the 5000 fps range I will start tweaking in the load for better accuracy. These bullets are actually for the 1 in 9 twist barrels which should show better accuracy when the RPM level is back in the sweet spot.

This testing is more for finding when the jackets start to fail.

They should look better without the bore cleaning round fired in the groups as well when testing is over.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14 Caliber bullet testing H-4198 2-21-23.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	311152

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14 Caliber 8.5gr testing #1 2-21-23.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	311151

Boolit Mold
    Phil, I saw that CED was advertising the internal clock speed of the M2 was twice as fast as the original unit. I have an Oehler 35P arriving this week that I will try them over to see if it can read them more reliably. Since I have all of the CED infrared kit and blast baffles set I may purchase the M2 if you think they are all compatible. I can always set it down range and clock them at the target if it can handle the higher speed. I do like the large display on the CED so you can read bullet speeds at the target. Sadly I've fought the old model so much trying to get it to read reliably I don't set it up down range very often. Maybe the M2 might give better results…

Thanks for your help,

Carl C.

Extreme Accuracy

Boolit Mold

If I get a chance this weekend I'll move the targets from 100 yards to 200 yards and see if the 8.5gr still hold their accuracy at the longer range. It will be good to see how they handle the wind with it getting more time to affect them traveling down range.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Accuracy View Post
    Phil, I saw that CED was advertising the internal clock speed of the M2 was twice as fast as the original unit. I have an Oehler 35P arriving this week that I will try them over to see if it can read them more reliably. Since I have all of the CED infrared kit and blast baffles set I may purchase the M2 if you think they are all compatible. I can always set it down range and clock them at the target if it can handle the higher speed. I do like the large display on the CED so you can read bullet speeds at the target. Sadly I've fought the old model so much trying to get it to read reliably I don't set it up down range very often. Maybe the M2 might give better results…

Thanks for your help,

Carl C.

Extreme Accuracy
    Can't speak to downrange use, but can confirm using original skyscreens with the M2 which is what I'm doing. Has a been a few years since I replaced my unit and don't recall now who I worked with but they were very courteous and helpful.

My original CED was literally new in the box, purchased the whole kit around 2004 or 2005, set on the shelf, then life got in the way for several years. When I got back into shooting, it worked a time or two then the display went blank.

IIRC, CED said I could use the original or new skyscreens with the M2 but the new skycreens cannot be used with the original.

The 35P should do everything you want.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you. That's an impressive target for what you're working with.
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12