Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Keyholing won't stop!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Are you sure the bullets are keyholing? I've seen a number of peoples targets that thought they had tumbling bullets but it was just thin paper tearing.
    I came here to make that exact point too - glad someone else wondered the same thing.

I've had paper tear in literally a keyhole shape, but looking at the back of the target one can see the torn paper hanging down - and pushing it back up into position, you clearly see the round hole/point of impact.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    I have consistent keyhole with the Lee 120 TC using Tite Group. Don't remember having that trouble when loading with HS-6. Pistol is KelTec PF9. Bullets sized to .358 and Bullshop Soft lube sized/applied with a Star. No leading. Will be trying in my Sig 365 and P320 as well as son-in-law's Glock. Never had keyholing before. More research required. Subscribing to this thread.

I've loaded the 120TC with every powder under the sun, including Titegroup and have never had a single instance of tumbling/keyholing. Velocities range from 1000fps up to 1200fps and barrels from 3" to 5". I PC all my boolits and size from .357" to .359" depending on firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by gloob View Post
    I don't doubt that TG was the problem. But when YOU load your buddies bullets, you're not just switching the powder, are you? Don't you have your own dies, too? Since this is 9mm, case-swaging is a very real problem, not a myth.

As for the "slug your bore," crowd, there's a significant amount of people who do not have the tools or ambition to do that. But if your fouling is not TOO bad, you might try shooting a jacketed bullet and examine what if any fouling is left. If you are left with fouling just in the grooves and not on the lands, then your groove size is at least larger than jacketed OD. You can also just see if larger bullets fit in your chamber, first. It doesn't really matter what you find by slugging a bore, if you can't fit larger bullets in your gun, anyway.
    Certainly could be an issue but i had him pull loaded rounds & the bullets were not swaged down.
    I have a BHP that hated W231 under 124gr cast. Shot all over the place, no keyholes but terrible accuracy. Switched to Unique, target pistol. Powders can play havoc with some bullet/caliber combos.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote:
    Going up in size and making bullets harder will help alleviate it. And if your guns chamber a bigger bullet, I would advise you do so. But one of the most elegant solutions is a proper expander. I use 358 bullets in 9mm with an expander plug that measures 358 with a 362 flare. Also important, the len

Same way the sizing die squishes the brass above it, the proper diameter and length expander will open up the case a bit beyond the end of the plug. This brings the case back closer to its original tapered shape. So this also removes the coke-bottle effect of loading 358 bullets into a 9mm case. You could also set your sizing die to partial size cases, but then its on you to ensure you don't get setback.

I use Lee dies as well ( also the factory crimp die ) but I would like to know where I could get this particular expander plug. My boolits get shaved sometimes when seating them and I'm maxed out on the amount of flare adjustment.

Deer slayer,

I believe NOE is now making inserts for the Lee universal expander die, and maybe for the powder through dies. These can be ordered with different sized expander and bell sections.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Master
    They do. I really like NOE stuff.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sackett View Post
    Deer slayer,

I believe NOE is now making inserts for the Lee universal expander die, and maybe for the powder through dies. These can be ordered with different sized expander and bell sections.

Sam Sackett
    Yes, and I like the thru powder expanders. They are like the Lyman ones with two diameters of expansion and then a flare.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234