Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often did our ancestors clean their guns after using BP

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    They proly did what some of us would do with a wore out barrel
    cut an inch off the end to get rid of the ramrod wear, reset the front sight and go round again
    if that wouldnt do it, fresh out the rifling one or two calibres, recut the mold to suit.
    Easy with a frontloader - not so easy with the new fangled catridge guns
    Very possible, but I doubt trappers and frontiersmen had access to such knowledge or tools, so a stop at the blacksmith/gunmaker shop was likely necessary.

I don't know this to be fact, but it seems reasonable to me. I've met a bunch of farmers over the years who had a really hard time maintaining equipment. Usually got parked in the fence row and replaced when small farms were abundant.

Totally different situation now in both circumstances.

Boolit Master
    I believe all muzzleloader shooters on the frontier KNEW their fired guns needed cleaning, BUT if they only had ONE, they would load up and be armed.

Hawken Brothers "Freshed Out" MANY Mountain Mens' guns for good reason. Indians, grizzle bears, etc., never worried about being shot with rusty bored guns. LOL.
    Adam

Boolit Master
    A Civil War buff once told me how they did it, or at least how he was told they did it.
    Dismount the barrel and dunk it muzzle first into a barrel of water (assuming there is a water barrel nearby).
    Hold your thumb over the nipple and lift the barrel, remove your thumb and let the water drain out. Repeat several times.
    Swab the barrel with fresh patches until they come out dry (at this point I hope they used an oiled patch but I can't remember).
    Reassemble the rifle and snap at least one cap to clear and dry the nipple.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    A Civil War buff once told me how they did it, or at least how he was told they did it.
    Dismount the barrel and dunk it muzzle first into a barrel of water (assuming there is a water barrel nearby).
    Hold your thumb over the nipple and lift the barrel, remove your thumb and let the water drain out. Repeat several times.
    Swab the barrel with fresh patches until they come out dry (at this point I hope they used an oiled patch but I can't remember).
    That sounds correct. I've seen something very similar in a civil ware era military manual. If I'm not mistaken the barrel was supposed to be warm water. Obviously they did what they had to make due. Lube could always be a million different things. I've never seen a standard lube for muzzleloaders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    JSnover,
    I think you got it mostly right. If you meant by "dismount the barrel", removing it from the stock, that is not per the Old Army Manual for the Civil War.
    The cleaning regimen I read about is:
    Be sure the rifle is unloaded. Block the nipple with a patch held in place by the hammer. With the arm upright, pour a gill, or two, of water down the bore (hot water was preferable), place the thumb over the muzzle and alternate up and down a few times and drain the water onto the ground. Run a wet patch or two down the bore followed by dry patches. "Oil according to regulations."
    I hope this helps.

Note: removing the barrel from the arm was "discouraged" because the tang screw tension affected accuracy and sight regulation.

Adam
    AKA Corporal Brasso, Company E, 42nd Regiment. (The (PA) Bucktails)
    Last edited by Adam Helmer; 02-18-2023 at 01:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    JSnover,
    I think you got it mostly right. If you meant by "dismount the barrel", removing it from the stock, that is not per the Old Army Manual for the Civil War.
    The cleaning regimen I read about is:
    Be sure the rifle is unloaded. Block the nipple with a patch held in place by the hammer. With the arm upright, pour a gill, or two, of water down the bore (hot water was preferable), place the thumb over the muzzle and alternate up and down a few times and drain the water onto the ground. Run a wet patch or two down the bore followed by dry patches. "Oil according to regulations."
    I hope this helps.

Note: removing the barrel from the arm was "discouraged" because the tang screw tension affected accuracy and sight regulation.

Adam
    AKA Corporal Brasso, Company E, 42nd Regiment. (The (PA) Bucktails)
    Thanks.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I have a couple of old Winchesters made in the late 19th century. I don't thing either's barrel were swabbed clean by their owners. Very corroded. Strange thing after a good cleaning and some modern chemicals both today shoot pleasingly accurate.

Boolit Master
    I recall as a kid a friends father had a 92 Winchester....they used to clean the bore with kerosine swabbed in the bore with a patch on a hooked wire.......never oiled that Im aware of .

I believe everything I see in the movies.

More-so, the stupidity I see daily from the abuse of modern gun owners that never clean a gun, ever. Then they bring them to me when they cease to even function, due to neglect. A Classic: I had a TC Hawken 50 brought in, that was fired several times, never cleaned, left loaded. Then was brought in 20 years later, by the new SIL that was raised to clean his guns after every use, but realized he was looking at something beyond his knowledge.
    After two months it was returned, looking like new. The list of repair is long. At least read the historical books, the real history, not some crocked up Jollywood crud.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Firing a corrosive primer after cleaning may be good for keeping the weapon ready for use, but its certainly not good for the nipple or the bore.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I realize there is no way to know - and just like today, maintenance is up to the individual user, but I find it difficult to believe everyone did a hot water wash and oiling at the end of every day, after firing a shot. If a hunter killed a deer and immediately reloaded his muzzleloader, he probably would have hesitated to waste the charge that same night, especially if hostiles were in the vicinity.

Hickok supposedly fired his ‘51 Navy’s every day - did he pull them apart, wash out all the residue then wait for everything to dry before oiling and reloading? If so, he would have been defenseless for a fairly long time.

Cartridge ammo made the unloading easier - both pistols and long guns - but the other variables remain. A couple of guys are out in the bush for several weeks and killing game every day, that needs to be cleaned and butchered. The horses come first, then the meat processing - by the time the day is over, it’s a chore to just crawl into a bedroll. Did the guns go a week without cleaning?

Most of us are not relying on our BP guns for protection so we have the luxury of taking our time, but I wonder if the oldtimers observed the same practices - or were their lubes better at protecting the bores for a few days?

I ask this because I have a Colt 44-40 SAA from 1904 that is tight mechanically but the bore and the exterior have quite a bit of pitting - the rifling is also worn and faint. Makes me think the old girl may have been shot and not cleaned very often.

I sometimes test my homemade BP on a steel welding table inside my shop, and if it’s damp weather, there will be raging red rust forming within 24 hours. Of course, there is no lube on the plate - just powder residue, but I’d hate to see a rifle bore in the same condition.
    back to Hickock
    If you were hanging out in the dry western environment (he was according to hollywood?) and you shot every day - you would only need to clean enough to keep things functional - where I live is about like western Nebraska (some of the time) - can shoot a smokeypole and put it aside uncleaned for a week or so most of the year without incident - pistols with a more greasy lube in the barrel - maybe a couple more days. Its the leaving that gets them! ....one week turns into two then a month and you do got a problem - even then most barrels will clean up well enough that most shooters wouldnt know the difference till they looked down it. Damage at the crown is what really kills em - I see blokes diligently cleaning their muzzleloader without a bore protector on the rod and I shudder - same same with those snake things - no way can you use those with out rubbing on the rifling at the muzzle - dont matter how careful you are that is gonna accellerate wear.

When I brought a civil war musket 58 cal to a friend of my that is a gunsmith ,my dad had found many years ago that was thrown out on the side walk trash and had missing parts on it . He checks the bore and still had rifling in it . he said when he took the breach plug out it was still loaded and was caked in the gun and had a hard time to clean it out and what he found was at the breech that part of the rifling was worn out and gone and that was about 1 1/2" at the bottom of the barrel. the rest was still good . He found the parts for it and fixed it up and shoots just fine. He said it shows it was used alot in its time . Had to replace the nipple also. It is a 1864 on the plate , but was told it was really a 1861 Bridesburg . made in Bridesburg,PA. off set of the Springfield 58 cal, of its time.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    back to Hickock
    If you were hanging out in the dry western environment (he was according to hollywood?) and you shot every day - you would only need to clean enough to keep things functional - where I live is about like western Nebraska (some of the time) - can shoot a smokeypole and put it aside uncleaned for a week or so most of the year without incident - pistols with a more greasy lube in the barrel - maybe a couple more days. Its the leaving that gets them! ....one week turns into two then a month and you do got a problem - even then most barrels will clean up well enough that most shooters wouldnt know the difference till they looked down it. Damage at the crown is what really kills em - I see blokes diligently cleaning their muzzleloader without a bore protector on the rod and I shudder - same same with those snake things - no way can you use those with out rubbing on the rifling at the muzzle - dont matter how careful you are that is gonna accellerate wear.
    That's kind of what I'm thinking, Joe. People were smart enough to realize from observation what effect the weather had on their weapons - and there were no central HVAC systems installed anywhere. A damp cabin in Missouri during a few days of rain is a very different environment from a hotel room in Arizona.

People who made their living and/or banked their survival on fully functional weapons probably took the time to do what was necessary. Outlaws may have only cleaned their pieces when they had a spare moment while holed up somewhere - and the average farmer might not have cleaned his shotgun but once every month or two.

Both my grandfather and great uncle (grandma's brother) grew up in the early 1900's with black powder cartridges as an option for most of their shooting needs, and neither man liked it. They complained it was dirty, smelly, etc. so they always picked smokeless if they could get it - but my uncle had an old .38 rimfire rifle which only shot BP ammo, so I saw him clean it right after shooting - regardless of whether it was just one shot. He finally gave away the rifle with the remaining cartridges to a neighbor, although I don't know if the cleaning routine was a reason.

As we have already said here, cleaning habits were based on whatever time the individual person was willing to spend on the task.

The only shotguns I use for hunting or anything else are old hammer doubles. Sometimes I think people preferred them because they are so easy and fast to clean. I finish hunting for the day, pop the forend off, take the barrels off and head straight to the water hose in the back yard. Then swab them out and run a swab with Rem-oil down the bore and all is well. 5 minutes tops, and all done. The breech faces get a few wipes with the Rem-oil, but they don't collect much residue. As far as muzzleloaders, it's a time-consuming process for me. Especially with my Colt Dragoon. It's a pain, especially in the humid climate I'm in, and I personally do not see how anyone back then managed to do it perfectly every time, especially if some sort of 'life' situation called them to other things while in the process.

Boolit Master
    Don't know about the old days.

I never had any problem with mine. Small bucket of water, usually a little dish soap. If it was the C&B revolver then just disassemble and toss everything in there except the grips. Stir it up a bit. Run a swab through the cylinder bores and barrel. Pick everything out, dry and oil it. Assemble and done. Same with sidelocks, except I didn't disassemble the lock itself.

Oil could be just about anything.

I can't see why the old timers would not do the same after using one. It was an expensive piece of kit for them and something they frequently used to survive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12