WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky rubber covering

Boolit Grand Master

Sticky rubber covering

I have a night vision that has a rubber coating on the whole outside.
    Don't use it.
    Was going to get it ready to put on the table at the gunshow next month.
    The darn thing is all sticky.
    I tried wiping it with a cloth and some alcohol, but it didn't do anything.
    Can't wash it in water.
    Any ideas?????

Boolit Master

Use acetone and it will take the sticky stuff off. It will leave the finish a dull matte look and it will also take any decals off as if that really matters. I had that issue with a Nikon rangefinder.

Gmsharps

Boolit Master
    Maybe dab Dawn dishwashing liquid on with a rag & wipe it off with a water moistened soft towel?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Acetone with a cloth not paper towels.

Quote Originally Posted by gmsharps View Post
    Use acetone and it will take the sticky stuff off. It will leave the finish a dull matte look and it will also take any decals off as if that really matters. I had that issue with a Nikon rangefinder.

Gmsharps
    Good to know. I've had this happen to me before on tools. I just tossed them out and wrote them off as cheap Chinese rubber breaking down.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Bub
    Goo Gone on a cloth also works but not as good as acetone.

Boolit Master
    I think I know exactly what you are experiencing with sticky rubber coating. I have same problem with handle grip on an older stihl weed trimmer and on a whole bunch of electronic diagnostic stuff like multimeters. it's some kind of rubber coating used in all kinds of plastic molded stuff. it is a thick gooey mess that is a bit too thick to be wiped off with acetone or goo be gone. ive thought about using electricians friction tape to wrap around and cover the mess.

Use a lint free, non dyed shop rag, with Acetone poured on the folded up rag, not poured on the object. If the Acetone does not work, try MEK. MEK will dissolve many plastics and is used to "weld" plastics together. Wear protection always for skin and eyes. Be careful of the lenses, may be coated.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use mineral spirits and a shop rag to clean up butt pads. Dries without being sticky.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I use mineral spirits and a shop rag to clean up butt pads. Dries without being sticky.
    Mineral spirits is always my first choice since it doesn't damage anything I've tried it on. Acetone is great for some applications but it can be hard on some materials.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

It will be a real pain in the butt to get off, hardly anything will touch it.
    The soft finish when new is awesome, but in a few years turns sticky.
    I have an old Radio Shack Handie Talkie that had that finish, it got sticky, and it was hell to pay to get rid of it.
    Mostly a lot of elbow grease. Acetone will most likely attack the bas plastic.
    Alcohol and mineral spirits is what I used, but mainly a lot of rubbing.
    A friend of mine (some friend) gave me a shotgun with the same problem.
    With a lot of work and a lot of time, I got it all cleaned up.
    It seems they had a recall on those stocks.
    My friend decided to send it in under warranty, even though I had it all cleaned up.
    They contacted my friend and asked him how the hell did I get all that sticky stuff off of that stock?
    They told him they should hire me.
    It can be done, but it is a lot of work.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thank you
    I have alcohol, mineral spirits, acetone, and MEK.
    Tried alcohol, but it didn't seem to be doing anything.
    I'll try the mineral spirits, then work my way up to the others.

I have a old Nikon range finder with that rubberized goop that had begun turning back into crude oil. The easiest method I've yet found was to get a rattle-can of clear polyurethane spray and apply a couple two or three coats to the afflicted areas. So far it's been doing a very good job and holding up well.
    Although it durnd-fer'sure doesn't make for much of a pretty surface finish.

GC
    Kind regards,
    GC

Chico Marx, after his wife caught him in bed with another woman: "Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?"

Boolit Grand Master

It’s nice to know others have had the same problem. I wondered if it was something I had done, like spilling gas on them.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    It’s nice to know others have had the same problem. I wondered if it was something I had done, like spilling gas on them.
    No, it's just another common example of companies making a product to sell, not last.

I hate that coating. It eventually goes bad and makes a mess when it does, and it doesn't actually make the thing easier to hold onto in the meantime.

Boolit Grand Master
    Got er' done.
    I used Naphtha, because it was the can I could get to first.
    It took a little doing, but it's now sticky free.
    Guess any type of solvent would work.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I think I know exactly what you are experiencing with sticky rubber coating. I have same problem with handle grip on an older stihl weed trimmer and on a whole bunch of electronic diagnostic stuff like multimeters. it's some kind of rubber coating used in all kinds of plastic molded stuff. it is a thick gooey mess that is a bit too thick to be wiped off with acetone or goo be gone. ive thought about using electricians friction tape to wrap around and cover the mess.
    I used some Remington camo gun wrap I had laying around and just re-wrapped. Since not worried about a beauty contest it worked just fine on the tool.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I used some Remington camo gun wrap I had laying around and just re-wrapped. Since not worried about a beauty contest it worked just fine on the tool.
    That reminds me of something that read recently about using the tape used on hockey sticks, to improve the grip on handles.

Boolit Buddy
    Be careful with acetone and MEK. Acetone is fine on polyethylene, polyurethane, and polypropylene. It will remove paints like enamels and will chew up polystyrene and some other plastics. MEK likewise.

Boolit Master

I have had the same happen to a few things like that with the rubber/plastic finish turning gooey .
    The cause in my case was insect repellant with DEET in it I found no way to stop it from being a mess .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast