WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Disappointing day .50 CVA Wolf with cast boolits

Boolit Master

Disappointing day .50 CVA Wolf with cast boolits

Got to slip out to the range with the Wolf to shoot some cast boolits from my new to me TC 370g maxi balls. All shots were over 90g of BH209 at 50 yards and cast off pure lead. The bore had a brush and patch run down it between bullet types. A spoiler Lee REAL went down range first onto the dirt to purge out the storage Bore Butter. The TC bullets seemed to load real nice but the group was rather disappointing. Since I had them on hand I popped off three of the REALs though from past experience didn’t expect much which is what I got. Of course the three expensive Powerbelts shot last made a nice little cloverleaf to validate that there’s no issue with the rifle/scope.

So like the past experience with the REALs I think the 1:28 twist is too fast for the TC bullet as well. My next step is to either make or buy some wads to see if there is any difference. I did also read somewhere that some harder 1:20 may make a difference. As I don’t use this for hunting I’m hoping to find a nice cheap pinker for 50-100 yards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C9AE51CB-490A-424E-957C-211578DEEAA5.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	310428

Boolit Master
    Your problem is not with the maxi For sure use a Durafelt wad over the powder and very important (LUBE ONLY) the bottom groove . I make them using a cheap ($15.00 hole punch set ) enough to do most all calibers you will ever have . If you want I will ship some wads to try along with contact info for Dura felt I always punch 50 for 45 -54 -50 and so on I use them dry for this application /lubed for my Pedersoli 12ga . Don't give up on the maxi ,I cast with pure and in my 50 Renegade I use a 50/45 Blue Harvester sabot and the 45 maxi (No lube)groups nice at 200 yds . My CVA Optima shoots them nice with a 1-28 twist too/Ed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Got to slip out to the range with the Wolf to shoot some cast boolits from my new to me TC 370g maxi balls. All shots were over 90g of BH209 at 50 yards and cast off pure lead. The bore had a brush and patch run down it between bullet types. A spoiler Lee REAL went down range first onto the dirt to purge out the storage Bore Butter. The TC bullets seemed to load real nice but the group was rather disappointing. Since I had them on hand I popped off three of the REALs though from past experience didn’t expect much which is what I got. Of course the three expensive Powerbelts shot last made a nice little cloverleaf to validate that there’s no issue with the rifle/scope.

So like the past experience with the REALs I think the 1:28 twist is too fast for the TC bullet as well. My next step is to either make or buy some wads to see if there is any difference. I did also read somewhere that some harder 1:20 may make a difference. As I don’t use this for hunting I’m hoping to find a nice cheap pinker for 50-100 yards.

Name:	C9AE51CB-490A-424E-957C-211578DEEAA5.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	310428
    I shoot a CVA .50 wolf magnum, with blackhorn209, a mag primer, with pure lead, Lee real, 360 gr minie, 450 gr, 500gr, all shoot real accrete for me, I shoot all of mine at about 1200FPS, depending on lot number of BH209, 38 - 42 grs ( weighed ) of the lots I have on hand. Push then too fast and no accuracy.
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 02-12-2023 at 11:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I can say with certainty that the twist rate is not the problem. I've tried maxiballs in both 50 and 54 caliber from twist rates 1:28 to 1:48. I've seen zero preference for twist rate, only some preference gun to gun, but every rifle I've ever tried them in has been very good.

In general they like being shot hard. I rarely find good accuracy at normal round ball charges of powder. They usually like 100+ grains of powder. They are not a great plinker bullet, round ball is much better for that.

The below picture is two three shot groups I shot last weekend at 100 yards while sighting in a new rifle. That is a Knight Vision 50 caliber, with a 1-4x scope, it has a 1:28 twist barrel. This has been one of the most forgiving rifles I've used, and it is one of the few that seems to shoot maxiball really well at lighter charges. Keep in mind those are only 3 shots each, proper 5 shot groups are going to average in the 1 1/2" range at 100 yards. The exact load is a Federal 209mz primer (shotgun 209s are not as good) 80gr Goex 1Fg powder, 1/8" felt wads cut from hard felt, Maxiball cast of pure lead and lubed only in the bottom groove with pure bear grease. I wet and dry swab between shots. Only minor pressure seating on the powder.

Another example I don't have pictured is my TC Impact, also a 1:28 twist. It will shoot just as good, but not unless you are using a 110 or 120 gr charge of powder. 2Fg should be close, but I see best results with 1fg. One other thought is maybe you are getting inconsistent ignition with BH209 powder. You definitely need a Federal 209a or CCI 209M primer, but also need a good seal of the bullet. Definitely use one, if not two felt wads.

Boolit Master
    i shoot a t/c 54 cal. renegade, and cast my own 435 gr. maxi-balls. my alloy has a pinch of tin and antimony, just enough to make the lead ball encounter a bit of resistance while seating. if i used pure lead, they would slide down effortlessly...... and not group as good.

3 shots, 100 yards, open iron sights, 90 gr. pyrodex.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0201171543_Burst01_resized.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    I've found success using shotgun fiber wads between the bullet & powder. One wad can flake into three overpowder wads, which make them economical. Also, have you tried other powder amounts. Again, I have found success with 80 grains of 2F and even 70 grains of 2F.

Boolit Master
    Heres the update, It took way to long (sometimes work and family do have to take priority I guess) but I was finally able to carve out some quality time for the Wolf and the cast lead bullets. The basic setup for loads and distance remained the same (90g of BH209 at 50 yards) using the bullets from the same casting lot and powder from the same jug. The only difference being the addition of the Durafelt wads (thanks ED!!).

I am now a believer- the Wads definitely woke up the TC bullets big time and closed up the group on the REALs a bit. I think the REALS suffered from bad lube (old dried out crisco) and the first shot was after I punched the bore with a brush and patch but didn't send a fowling shot first. I will work up an new batch and as Ed recommended only lube the bottom groove of the TC bullets and use my beeswax/crisco/olive oil blend on the REAL's for the next outing.

Definitely going to be looking into getting a supply of Durafelt lined up for future use

Name:	ML Plus Wads.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	314767