MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Pulldown powder from FN 55 grain 223

Pulldown powder from FN 55 grain 223

Anyone have any experience or info about one of the powders FN used in 223 55 grain loads (26 grains) that looks to be showing up at some of the usual sites?

Price is extremely attractive, but haven't seen it mentioned before in my travels.

Thanks-

Boolit Bub
    I’ve just started playing with a bit of surplus powder from another 556 pulldown lot, and it’s interesting to say the least. In researching it, the data that was given indicates a burn rate closer to H322 (as well as charge weight) but your post sounds like you’ll be dealing with an equivalent of WC844.

I’d say treat the powder you’re looking at like a FAST lot of H335, drop the load down a good bit and work up. Are you running it in a gas gun or a bolt action? That’s going to make a difference, too. In the powder I’m working with, which is being run in an AR, I’m watching primers, of course, but also where the empties are headed versus “normal” loads with known powders.

Another thing to consider is - what does it look like? Ball? Flake? Extruded? All can help you get a hint of where to look, but my own digging in to this question has led me, in post after post, to the fact that H335, the commercial powder, is NOT the same as the surplus equivalent (WC844). Still a great deal, but blindly following the book and treating them the same can get you into pressure fast.

I’d say buy it and shoot it, just use plenty of caution when you do.

Cree

Boolit Buddy

Can confirm that WC844 and H335 are not the same. Military powders have a much larger window for charge weights, sometimes as much as 2 grains to meet intended pressure and velocity. H335 is a good bit faster than WC844. WC844 is going to hover around 28-28.6 grains with a 55gr projectile to make 3150 from a 22" barrel. I would still but it and use it, I would just start low and work up with my own data. FN sources from several powder manufacturers and without more info, it's impossible to narrow it down.

Loading for an AR, 55 grn FMJBT.

Definitely aware of the mil spec vs canister grade powder differences. Will work up some loads, and report my results.

Thanks for your input.

Boolit Buddy
    The issue here is canister powder vs. non-canister powder the OEM's have access to. May only be able to get close to a 100% ID but doubtful a 100% ID. Start low, work up slow and use common sense.

Boolit Bub
    Chumly - Some of my recent nosing around has indicated FN did - at least at one time - load a Belgium-produced equivalent of AA2230. The previously mentioned H335 and H322 powders look nothing alike, but neither looks like AA2230, so that might help you in your travels, too.

Cree