Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Clean And Cook A Nutria

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I like my elk ivories to have a little color, so what.
    Elk is some of the best eating on the planet. Given the situation that I was one day away from a death by starvation I'd eat the nutria. But things like rats, mice, nutria, beaver, snakes, and buzzards etc. will never be on my daily menu as long as beef rib steaks and fried chicken are available. To each his own......(I'm looking for a suitable emoji, but don't see one with a finger pointing down a throat.....) Y'all can have and enjoy my share! "You are what you eat." Some of us live longer than others.....

DG

Good vid of breaking it down. One could go gypsy, for hedgehogs (now protected in most places) - just roll the whole thing in wet clay and throw it on the fire. Kind of like a salt crust for a whole fish or a salt dough for wild fowl like partridge, everything (including spines) just lifts out and chow. Um, rustic. Gotta love roasted offal, au naturel. For real adventure, go Roman - [I]garum[I], basically a fermented anchovy sauce the ancients threw on everything. Today's fish sauce is a mild cousin.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    That meal looked pretty good to me. Worthy of note is that he never said what temperature he baked the meat at nor did he say what wine he likes to reduce. I would leave out the cream and put in a couple spoonfuls of butter instead. BTW - Where is the garlic?? Just to get a little wild and crazy, I would even try a little katsu sauce on the side or on the rice. If the mountain lions ever let one survive on the creek behind my house (unlikely), I will know what to do.

Boolit Buddy
    Meat is meat, but sometimes it is better to not know the source! A bite or two may suffice and quell the craving!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

I see skunks on the road, some look like fresh road kill. Will I stop and pic em up, Not me! Some will pick up dear kill on the road, Just can not get this wrapped around my head? Am I missing something? Bona petite!
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

I'll pass. Nuff said.
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

I eat beaver , muskrat, coon and possum. Besides rabbit and squirrel and deer. Also rock dove. I would it nutria if there was some around that I trap. I eat snapping turtle and frog legs. If one dose not what they were eating and try it will think different. I eat different wild game and fish .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    I see skunks on the road, some look like fresh road kill. Will I stop and pic em up, Not me! Some will pick up dear kill on the road, Just can not get this wrapped around my head? Am I missing something? Bona petite!
    Road kill deer = 75 to 10 pounds of free meat! If I see it happen I stop and offer to take it! One that has been laying there who knows how long? NOPE! If the gut ruptured that taints the meat FAST. Since most of the ones that are hit are only 7 miles from the house I can get it home, gutted, wash the gut cavity several times, skin and butcher. If the gut was ruptured I only take the quarters well away from gut bacteria. No CWD here yet so no worries about that.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I eat beaver , muskrat, coon and possum. Besides rabbit and squirrel and deer. Also rock dove. I would it nutria if there was some around that I trap. I eat snapping turtle and frog legs. If one dose not what they were eating and try it will think different. I eat different wild game and fish .
    I am with you on the snapping turtle and the frog legs! I like to barbecue both!
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

LOL I don't think those Nutria have good enough fur coats to take the winters up here.

But that does not mean I can't slide down to La and shoot me a few out of a swamp or canal some winter when Fargo is in the Minus below zone and most of Louisiana is in the 40's and 50's. That is grilling weather up here.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

MaryB I have eaten more than one road kill. Heck I used to carry a sharp knife and large plastic garbage bags in my big lunch cooler just in case.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Road kill deer = 75 to 10 pounds of free meat! If I see it happen I stop and offer to take it! One that has been laying there who knows how long? NOPE! If the gut ruptured that taints the meat FAST. Since most of the ones that are hit are only 7 miles from the house I can get it home, gutted, wash the gut cavity several times, skin and butcher. If the gut was ruptured I only take the quarters well away from gut bacteria. No CWD here yet so no worries about that.
    One year I would drive my wife to work. Normally, I would find one or two pheasant road kills each day. They were not run over, or squashed and still warm. A lot of good eating.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    OK; great presentation. That said, I'll wait for "the end times" before I eat a Jumbo Rat!!
    Exactly!!!!
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

I've tried it, didn't think it was all that bad.

Boolit Master

When I lived in south La in the early '80's after graduating from vet school, we regularly saw labs etc that were retrieving ducks in the marsh for their owners that tangled with nutria on the way back to the boat. The hunters always said that they were trying to get a way to cook them that tasted good because since there was no closed season on them, they hoped the Cajuns would clean'em out of the marsh. They said that even tho a Cajun will eat anything, they couldn't get'em to eat nutria. Redfish was trash fish until Chef Paul and his blackened redfish. Y'all saying they are edible makes me wonder, maybe they just needed a better media campaign!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    MaryB I have eaten more than one road kill. Heck I used to carry a sharp knife and large plastic garbage bags in my big lunch cooler just in case.
    I carry a knife and an 8x10 tarp to protect the back of my SUV. And my Chinese Type 53 in case one needs to be put down.

I watched a hwy cop put 3 bullets in one then I told him I have a hunting rifle in the back of the SUV. One shot and down. He messed up the front quarters bad. I went for a spine shot at the base of the head. Poor deer was flopping around on 2 legs as this cop kept firing...

Here, if someone wants to take a roadkill deer, they still need to put a tag on it. Sillyness

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by alfadan View Post
    Here, if someone wants to take a roadkill deer, they still need to put a tag on it. Sillyness
    Same in MN but the sheriff tells us to take it home and a deputy will drop a tag off next time they are in the area... by then it is deer parts and frozen LOL

Boolit Master
    I'm with MaryB on road kill deer. There have been a few that tangled with cars and were freshly dead with few marks on them. One was hit early one morning and was dead in someone's front yard. They didn't want it, so I called the sherrif, he signed it over to me and off I went. The legs were broken but I don't eat those.

A friend had a towing business and was on call by the county to assist at wrecks. He kept his freezer full claiming the dead deer when he was called to a car/deer accident to tow the vehicle. He and his family ate a lot of venison. Then some program was instituted which directed all deer killed in accidents to be claimed for the homeless and destitute.

Boolit Master

Years ago, in Pt. Arthur, TX., they used to hold a Nutria Festival in the Spring. They would harvest hundreds of nutria and cook them every way possible--roasted, barbequed, stewed, etc. Nutria are native to S. America. They were brought to Louisiana for an experiment to see about their pelts. A couple of breeding pair. A storm destroyed their cages and they escaped to the marshes. They breed faster than rabbits. With gator poaching and such, the gator population was down, allowing the nutria to multiply. In my teens, I spent many days in the marshes. Didn't see many gators, but dozens of nutria. As the gator population has increased, the nutria population has declined. I've eaten nutria many ways. Tamales, tacos, and barbecued. As someone said, tastes close to a swamp rabbit. I've never eaten muskrat, but I hear they are good. I know many people up north eat them, and sell the pelts.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast