Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Results of My Pedersoli 1874 Sharps 45-70

Banned

Results of My Pedersoli 1874 Sharps 45-70

I just started learning about BP and been working awhile on trying to figure things out and determine the best load. I think I have it pretty dialed in because of all the advice and input you all have given here. Yesterday, I shot a group at 2.8 inches at 200 yds and 2.25 inches at 330 yds. They were only 5 shot groups as I was testing loads but I think this shows the load is consistent. If anyone cares, this is what worked - 66gr Swiss 1.5 (weighed), 520gr bullet at .460 with .06 fiber wad, WLR primer. Wiped after each shot but still trying to learn this fouling control thing but it seems wiping does produce consistency after I've shot a few rounds. My first two shots were left.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RSAPD View Post
    I just started learning about BP and been working awhile on trying to figure things out and determine the best load. I think I have it pretty dialed in because of all the advice and input you all have given here. Yesterday, I shot a group at 2.8 inches at 200 yds and 2.25 inches at 330 yds. They were only 5 shot groups as I was testing loads but I think this shows the load is consistent. If anyone cares, this is what worked - 66gr Swiss 1.5 (weighed), 520gr bullet at .460 with .06 fiber wad, WLR primer. Wiped after each shot but still trying to learn this fouling control thing but it seems wiping does produce consistency after I've shot a few rounds. My first two shots were left.
    im just waiting for ones who are gonna say you should have bought a shilo ...

Boolit Grand Master

For quite awhile now the pedersolis have been known for their fine barrels.
    What cases are you using? What is the alloy the bullets are cast from?

Sounds like your ready to go win some matches

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    Right now I only own 4 BPCR's, a Pedersoli, a Shiloh, a Browning, and a Hepburn. What I have found out is that once I get them dialed in the target can't tell the difference.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Banned
    Thanks for the replies thus far. My Pedersoli is a very basic model and did not cost me a lot from Dixie Gunworks back in 2020. Added Lee Shaver vernier sights with Hadley cup and PH globe front sight. Using Starline brass and #2 alloy. I know the 20-1 or 16-1 is the preferred but I'm not casting yet, so all my bullets are purchased and I pan lube them. When I first started shooting it, I shot smokeless to include the Hornady 325FTX load and hit our steel ram at 544 yds most of the time. I knew then the barrel was high quality because i knew it wasn't me since I was new to this style of shooting.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Sounds like you and that rifle are coming to an agreement
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Your loads basically duplicate my own except I use Federal LP primers. Being softer material, relatively hot flame, ignition is faster and more positive.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    I think the anti spaghetti rifle brigade are gonna have to sit this one out

Boolit Master
    Funny,

Actually you never see a spaghetti rifle in the winner’s circle, mater of fact the Infamous Pedersoli 5@200 was never won by a Pedersoli. A Shiloh holds the record group at 200 for Paper patch at 1.336 inches. The smallest Grease grooves group was by a hand made Sharps. A Shiloh in 40-65 won it 5 times for 40 caliber and under. A 45-110 won the over 40 twice. I have the plaques to prove that plus the record group for Paper Patch. Any place the Pedersoli has to go toe to toe with a Shiloh Sharps, they simply don’t win. 3 different Shilohs 6 total Scope National Championships. In 26 years of National championships in the USA a Pedersoli has never, never won a single title.

Hate to rain on the parade, but them pesky ole facts you know.

KW

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    How much space is left in the cartridge to seat the boolit in? Do you compres the powder?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    Your loads basically duplicate my own except I use Federal LP primers. Being softer material, relatively hot flame, ignition is faster and more positive.

That's some nice shooting from 7 yards
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

however there are people who don,t want to sell their first born just to enjoy shooting a black powder single shot that looks like a 1874 sharps and may not be good enough to win any thing with a pedersoli or a u.s. made sharps. my targets are quart and gallon cans out to 300 yards. my target pedersoli fake 1874 sharps(cost 800.00 when i bought it) shoots better than i can.

Boolit Master
    To me the whole idea is to enjoy shooting. If you want to experience shooting a Sharps style rifle and can't afford or justify a Shiloh then get what you can afford and enjoy it. The super competitive types that "have to win" will not be satisfied with anything that can't win. Neither person is right or wrong, they just have different desires and expectations.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    Kenny, I remember the late Dick Trenk helping spread the word on the Pedersoli 5 at 200. That's been a while.
    As to the Pedersoli Sharps rifles never making it to the winner's circle -- I wonder if it is more because the really talented shooters are willing to put a lot of resources into their gear -- and their rifles come from Shiloh or C. Sharps, and not Pedersoli. The one Shiloh I had was definitely a better-built rifle than the Pedersolis that passed through my hands, but I bet if a winning shooter screwed a Pedersoli barrel into his Shiloh action, he'd still have a great shooter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    How much space is left in the cartridge to seat the boolit in? Do you compres the powder?
    I pour the charge directly into the case and do not drop tube. I didn't measure compression as I just seated the bullet to my desired OAL but it is compressed.

Before I purchased my Pedersoli, of course, I read a lot to figure out what to buy as I am more concerned with capability than looks and finish. I am a fly fisherman and know this world very well and you can spend a fortune on equipment. I agree with Abert Rim. When you become an elite competitor they buy the best equipment and customize it. And I also figure Americans would buy American. So I assume the majority of elite competitors own American made rifles. Based on all the info on the quality of Pedersoli barrels, I would wager if the winners used them, they would probably still win. For me it was all about buying what I wanted and what was most practical for my uses. Thanks for all the replies folks. Learning a lot here.

With the price difference between an import and the rifles hand crafted by American craftsmen being so slight in the last 10 years or so it becomes a non factor. Plus if the imports had to pay the same manufacturing tax as the USA built rifles there probably wouldn’t be many sold here
    Now for a beat around rifle or one just used to drag out of the case once in awhile Insuppose the imports are ok ,right up to the point something breaks and you need a new spring firing pin etc and getting a new one is a long excruciating process ,where the USA built rifles the replacement part is a phone call away.
    Then if you tire of the rifle and decide to sell it the import will be worth about half what you paid for it yet the USA gun will bring right close to original price if not more.

But with all that sails and the pizzing contest launched by some early on. You have the rifle and are liking what it’s doing for you, so enjoy it and be happy
    But if you decide to do another one do your price shopping carefully and make the decision on and in investment terms

Banned
    Excellent points, Don! Thanks. If one wanted to compete with a Shilo, what is the best model rifle to choose?
    Last edited by RSAPD; 02-12-2023 at 06:11 PM.

I like the #1, but the 77 is really sweet.
    I also think 32 inch standard weight barrel in 45-70 40-65and 44-77 etc are good, but when you start getting into the longer cases heavy barrels are the way to go.
    But if you are thinking about competing my suggestion would be use the rifle you have and after you shoot a number of matches and get a good idea about what you want in a rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    Funny,

Actually you never see a spaghetti rifle in the winner’s circle, mater of fact the Infamous Pedersoli 5@200 was never won by a Pedersoli. A Shiloh holds the record group at 200 for Paper patch at 1.336 inches. The smallest Grease grooves group was by a hand made Sharps. A Shiloh in 40-65 won it 5 times for 40 caliber and under. A 45-110 won the over 40 twice. I have the plaques to prove that plus the record group for Paper Patch. Any place the Pedersoli has to go toe to toe with a Shiloh Sharps, they simply don’t win. 3 different Shilohs 6 total Scope National Championships. In 26 years of National championships in the USA a Pedersoli has never, never won a single title.

Hate to rain on the parade, but them pesky ole facts you know.

KW
    Kenny
    I reckon them pesky facts sez more about the mental of the blokes at the top of the board than it sez about the ability of the Spaghetti guns to deliver --its a natural part of the psyche of a competitor to want whats considered the best equipment - and the further up the totem pole a person advances the more easy to justify the extra trouble / expense to get it. Its highly likely that if you could sneak out in the middle of the night and screw Italian barrels on them Shilos you quote while the owners were not lookin nothing would change on the scoreboard.

If what Don sez about price differential is close to the mark then this is a non argument anyway - downunder it used to be about two for one - no idea what the present situation is.
    Last edited by indian joe; 02-12-2023 at 07:59 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    If what Don sez about price differential is close to the mark then this is a non argument anyway - downunder it used to be about two for one - no idea what the present situation is.
    There are still some pedersoli models that you can get for significantly cheaper than a shiloh. However, C. Sharps has some 1875 configurations that run in the same price range.

That being said, some people just might not want to wait a year or two to get a rifle.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast