WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wok Cooking

Boolit Master

My wife gave me a carbon steel 14” wok with a flat bottom for our electric range top. I watched several ‘how to season a new wok’ videos and tried, twice. The seasoned finish in the lower 1/4 of the bowl keeps flaking off. Any thoughts?

Moderator Emeritus

Flaking off?
    That's weird, there shouldn't be anything to flake off?
    I think some people take the whole pre-seasoning thing too far.
    Just heat up the new cleaned Wok, wipe some oil on it, it should be smokin hot.
    Take off heat and let cool.
    It is ready to cook with, although it's not fully seasoned, it will get more and more seasoned as you cook with it...just like cast iron pans.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

One may want to cook the veggies to slightly less than done as they will cook some more as one is bringing the meat up to temp.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Flaking off?
    That's weird, there shouldn't be anything to flake off?
    I think some people take the whole pre-seasoning thing too far.
    Just heat up the new cleaned Wok, wipe some oil on it, it should be smokin hot.
    Take off heat and let cool.
    It is ready to cook with, although it's not fully seasoned, it will get more and more seasoned as you cook with it...just like cast iron pans.
    it takes more than one coat to fill all the pores thats why the experts recommend three coats. I used that method and mine is slick as glass out of the gate. I used grapeseed oil because it has a high smoke point. Seasoned mine at 400 degrees in oven after getting all the factory oil off which was a hassle. The secret is thin coats.

Wok cooking is all about temperature and when you add the ingredients to the wok, three people can cook a dish following a recipe and have three different tasting dishes. Wok cooking is all about experience and speed, must have every thing prepared before you start. I always fry my wood spoon first, to get the temperature correct.
    I never use fish or oyster sauce... Make a stir fry Gulf shrimp and sweet soy with glass noodles that is pretty good
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Yeah, I've had my wok since the '80s. It has wok ho(character). Like some of my cast iron. It's rolled carbon steel. Cooked thousands of meals in it. Love that thing the food it has produced. Good, healthy stuff.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    We pretty much live out of a wok, a cast iron skillet, and a covered sauce pan. Pork and veggies over rice is a staple. My stir fry sauce is two parts soy, one part oyster sauce, one part wine, sugar, and white pepper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12