Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedersoli 1877 long range info

Boolit Buddy

Pedersoli 1877 long range info

Has anyone purchased one of the Pedersoli 1877 Long Range models in 45-70? I see that some are listed as having 32" barrels and some are listed as having 30" barrels. I also see some advertisements saying they have round, half-round, or octagonal barrels. So, I am confused. What is the barrel configuration? If someone has one, what is the diameter of the barrel at the receiver?

Bill

I have two, a 'long range' 50/70 with a 34"barrel and a 45/90 which has a 32" barrel., The 50/70 barrel is half round/full octagonal, the other full octagonal. The reciever diameter is common to all models. In total I own 5 Sharps Models and a 38/55 Highwall.

I like the 50/70 best and it is very accurate.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Looks like you're talking about 2 maybe 3 different rifle models.
    The 1877 is a back action lock rifle with a 30 inch barrel
    The 1874 long range has a 34 inch half round barrel
    Then they have the 1874 sillhouette model that has an octagon barrel
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I’m wondering if they trimmed the action down like a true 77 or just stick an English lock on a 74 with the round infantry rifle barrel and call it a 77

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I pick up my Shiloh 1877 on Monday in Big Timber MT after a fairly long wait because of a ,32” round barrel polished barrel and a piece of not suitable English Walnut on the forearm . No company on earth is as exacting as Shiloh they are perfect when they are done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B45833C2-0CD5-414F-B683-3AEB995FD4A2.jpeg  

Randy your going to love that 77. I'm comptemplating another one. One thing you will likely find the recoil impulse is all together different. Mine also shoots better with 2 grains less powder than my other rifles in the same chamber, and a midrange sight will get me to 1000 yards with plenty of room to spare on the staff. Kirk did a fantastic job on that trigger, about a 3 lb pull that is just as sweet and smooth as a hot knife going thru butter.

Boolit Master
    That's a beautiful rifle Don, what's in chambered in?

Chris.

45-90. Shoots very well. Hoping the eye doc is right and this floater is starting to go away so I can shoot it past 600 again without having to muck it up by having Kirk drill it for a scope...
    Next one if I do it will have the ebony tip.

Boolit Buddy
    So nobody has a Pedersolli 1877 Long Range? The reason I am asking the question is I have looked at the pictures and info on the Pedersoli site and they do not match what I am seeing in dealer adds for the supposedly same rifle. Pedersoli shows a 30" round barrel, but there are adds out there for 32" half round/half octagon barrel on the same rifle. I am trying to figure out which is which. I would prefer the longer barrel.
    Bill

my pedersoli 1874 is the target sillhouette model #8997 with a checkered forend-butt with pistol grip stock with semi shot gun butt plate and a full oct 32" barrel in 45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by barkerwc4362 View Post
    So nobody has a Pedersolli 1877 Long Range? The reason I am asking the question is I have looked at the pictures and info on the Pedersoli site and they do not match what I am seeing in dealer adds for the supposedly same rifle. Pedersoli shows a 30" round barrel, but there are adds out there for 32" half round/half octagon barrel on the same rifle. I am trying to figure out which is which. I would prefer the longer barrel.
    Bill
    Just a WAG here but I’m betting Pedersoli 1877 is brand new and probably none have left the factory yet
    There a gun sellers and gun dealers best not to confuse the two
    If Buffalo Arms,Dixie or Cherrys don’t list the 1877 there probably isn’t any to be had yet
    You can order a 77 from either Shiloh or C Sharps if that’s the model you want with a 32 inch barrel

Boolit Buddy
    They are on Gunbroker and Guns International, plus other vendors have them ready to ship. I have done some research on what's actually out there, not vapor ware. In fact there are pictures of Pedersoli 1877s with both barrels on GunBroker and Guns International. When you use the Pedersoli model number you get conflicting information. I do not want to wait 2-3 years and spend over $3,000 on one. Plus C Sharps doesn't allow a double set trigger on the 77, only a single set. My 1874 has a double set and that is what I want to stay with.

Bill

Well sir if one of those gun sellers on those sites are legit then get one. But as you have seen Pedersoli only lists the 77 with a 30 inch barrel so one has to ask what are those gun sellers doing that Pedersoli doesn’t?

What you will find is that places like Cabelas, Dixie, and Chery's will order a large quantity in one order, and when they do Pedersoli will build them to specs they want. Thats why on a lot of Pedersoli rifles it will have things like " Cabelas, Sidney Nebraska" or "Taylors Inc" or others, stamped on the barrel.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Nice rifle Don. On Shilo's website, I see a variety of barrel weights but of round, half and standard. What does that mean? And what is the main factor to consider 30", 32" or 34"?

The half round are just that half octagon and half round.
    For most work I'm of the mind that the 32 inch gives the best sight radius , and will give a touch more velocity than a 30, but doesn't tend to foul so heavy in the last couple of inches of barrel like a 34 does.

Boolit Master

This is the 78 that Pedersoli built for Lyman. I never got it to shoot good enough for LR and sold it. The other problem with this gun was it's weight, 9lbs. I normally don't use a Past Pad but it was a necessity with this rifle. My take was that the barrel is so light that it whipped around a little too much for LR. I loved the rifle and it would have been a good hunting or plinking rifle but I have plenty of those.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 78 Sharps 007.jpg   78 Sharps 005.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast