A new standard in the Ultimate PCP - Daystate Alpha Wolf

This looks very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npadPpTZnOI

On board chronograph.
    Computer controlled Huma regulator
    Caliber switching .177. .22, .25 and .30
    Twin magazines
    Up to 95 ft-lbs

Price not released yet, but I bet it will be a VERY expensive toy.

I have the "cheap" ($1100) Daystate Huntsman in .22 and it is regularly shooting 1/2" groups at 50 yards. This "thing" will not be a slouch.
    Don Verna

Easily a $2500 gun meant to compete with FX and RAW. Has some cool features. I like the on board Chrono.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    The regular Alpha wolf is 3495. I bet the Safari editions is a few hundred more

Boolit Buddy
    I have two Red Wolfs and they are great.

Boolit Master
    I was looking at them but ended up buying a Voodoo 22lr instead. I kind of wish I had bought the Daystate

Boolit Master
    I have enough pcps that cost to much already. But it is a nice looking rig.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    I was looking at them but ended up buying a Voodoo 22lr instead. I kind of wish I had bought the Daystate
    I bought my Daystate at the peak of "the craziness". Everything was both hard to get and expensive. I enjoy shooting so decided to try PCP's and NSB (member here) steered me to the Daystate. I also did a bit of research on air gun forums.

I had decent .22's (nothing as nice as yours) but at the time even crap .22's were $100/1000. The "good stuff" was $400/1000. The ability to shoot for a fraction of that was attractive. At the time I thought I would need high end pellets that where about $40/1000. As it turned out, both my PCP's shot the cheap Crosman Premier pellets well so I am shooting for $15/1000 (including cost of air).

If "the craziness" had not happened I would not have gotten into PCP's. Now, I hardly shoot powder burners. I do not like casting, or reloading. .22's are a pain as I shoot off my back porch so I need to police spent cases. And I can shoot without hearing protection. For plinking and getting trigger time, PCPs fit me well. The big plus is I am insulated from shortages and market conditions. I purchased 14k pellets for less than $200 and am getting 1/2" groups at 50 yards. My total cost (Daystate Huntsman rifle, Donny FL moderator, rings, scope and tank) was about $2300.

There are less expensive ways to get into PCP's with some decent guns under $400.

This is my only hobby. If I live another 15 years, playing with a nicer toy is not difficult for me to rationalize. I have thousands of dollars of 'useless' guns that rarely or ever get shot. Makes more sense to me to sell them and have something nice for a toy I use a lot.

Not sure I can justify this new Alpha Wolf though. It will be useless if we get hit by an EMP strike...LOL. Spending $2000-3000 more to shrink groups by a 1/4" at 50 yards is not that important to me. But I marvel at the technology being used.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I bought my Daystate at the peak of "the craziness". Everything was both hard to get and expensive. I enjoy shooting so decided to try PCP's and NSB (member here) steered me to the Daystate. I also did a bit of research on air gun forums.

I had decent .22's (nothing as nice as yours) but at the time even crap .22's were $100/1000. The "good stuff" was $400/1000. The ability to shoot for a fraction of that was attractive. At the time I thought I would need high end pellets that where about $40/1000. As it turned out, both my PCP's shot the cheap Crosman Premier pellets well so I am shooting for $15/1000 (including cost of air).

If "the craziness" had not happened I would not have gotten into PCP's. Now, I hardly shoot powder burners. I do not like casting, or reloading. .22's are a pain as I shoot off my back porch so I need to police spent cases. And I can shoot without hearing protection. For plinking and getting trigger time, PCPs fit me well. The big plus is I am insulated from shortages and market conditions. I purchased 14k pellets for less than $200 and am getting 1/2" groups at 50 yards. My total cost (Daystate Huntsman rifle, Donny FL moderator, rings, scope and tank) was about $2300.

There are less expensive ways to get into PCP's with some decent guns under $400.

This is my only hobby. If I live another 15 years, playing with a nicer toy is not difficult for me to rationalize. I have thousands of dollars of 'useless' guns that rarely or ever get shot. Makes more sense to me to sell them and have something nice for a toy I use a lot.

Not sure I can justify this new Alpha Wolf though. It will be useless if we get hit by an EMP strike...LOL. Spending $2000-3000 more to shrink groups by a 1/4" at 50 yards is not that important to me. But I marvel at the technology being used.
    Once again, Don has -- imho -- "said it" at 100% right on. I splurged on an Air Arms S510 XS TDR Regulated, Walnut, Air Rifle (msrp $1779.00, plus rings & 'scope) which is the gold nugget in my air arm collection. At both my age and finances such a gorgeous firearm as this Wolf is but eye candy for me. I have such an affinity for the Benjamin Marauders -- these (#1 is the wood-stocked .22 pistol version!!!) are what 99% of the time accompany me to camp and range. (My leg has gotten such that hunting is now a 95% memory... 'cept for (perfect w/ PCP's) air rifle varminting at camp.)
    My only "however" to the dverna post is I will admit that casting is not something I really look forward to, with the lub/size almost considered a royal p.i.a.! BUT, I do so love all other aspects of reloading from decapping, annealing rifle cases, brass-prep, charging, seating..... and then (drum roll here) the shooting at range!
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 02-12-2023 at 09:59 AM.

Certainly is one to dream about. Since the "craziness" there seems to be an explosion of interesting new air guns, especially PCPs.
    Thankfully, don't think I'll ever need to resort to air power for serious hunting. But these things really shine at eliminating pests.
    I do enjoy casting and working up loads and even still the vast majority of my shooting in last couple years has been airguns.
    They're just FUN

Boolit Grand Master
    CnR,

I had intended to use the PCP for pest control but I learned very quickly how sensitive pellets are to wind. Not too concerning for most "back yard safaris" where ranges are 10-25 yards but my my typical range is 50-75 yards. So I have stayed with .22LR for squirrels and chipmunks.

But my closest neighbor is 3/4 miles away so a unique situation. For the vast majority of folks, a PCP is going to be good choice for pests. Hard to beat quiet and accurate at closer ranges. There is plenty of power for small critters at longer distances but wind becomes more challenging to deal with.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    As said above, marvelous technology, but I too would be concerned if planning to keep it for the long term. I have several PCP's of various types including a nice Morini 162ei match pistol with an electronic trigger, a high quality, Swiss made match pistol in the $2,000 range. It's now around 4 years old and the electronic trigger has decided it's had enough. A new electronic module is around $350+ or an option to send it to India for repair.

I've also recently bought a Steyr LG100 - I had the chance to by a later version with an electronic trigger but chose the mechanical trigger. You really can't fault the mechanical trigger, finely adjustable down to an oz or so.

Much like an up market digital scale - it will break down and be uneconomic to repair in a very few years.

I ended up making a new electronic module for the Morini myself - been working perfectly for a few months now.

Moderator Emeritus

1066 -- you made some really good points! I was "burnt" not too long ago with a digital scale -- me out about $160.00USD. In this case I regrettably admit I had a bit to do with its failure. The instruction paragraph (along with a zillion other paragraphs in an equal number of different languages) indicates, "Insert two 1.5volt Alkaline AA batteries, paying particular attention to polarity." I assume if you put them in backwards it might fry the circuitry, and with a spring on "neg" end -- a no-brainer. EXCEPT -- on subject of "no-brainer", if Alkaline batteries are good, then wouldn't Lithium (Everyeady MAX) be better???
    Oops -- it turns out AA Alkaline batteries put out 1.5 nominal volts, and the Lithium ones generate a voltage a tad higher. How much higher? High enough to destroy circuitry on my third or fourth use -- when I left scales turned on for a bit.
    These "modern electronics" need extra care and prayers (The prayers being that as one opens the box of their new toy, on line is the release of an "updated" version making their yet to be used toy.... obsolete!)