Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oatmeal -- Cholesterol

Attachment 310382

We believe this is due to quitting my blood thinner medication ordered by one of my doctors, 2 blood clots in the area where I had a previous procedure done in 2012. Had they broken free, I would not be posting. Minimal cholesterol plaque buildup, about the same on the other side which does not need to be operated on. I believe in modern medicine, but alternative measures are appreciated for what they can provide. I have had 11 extra years due to very good doctors.

Sorry for the sideways pic, click on it and it straightens up.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I started eating steel cut oats a few years ago. Also counting calories. I dropped 35 lbs and my cholesterol went way down. Every night I put 1/2 cup of steel cut oats in my 3 qt Instant pot and 2 cups water and set the delay timer to pressure cook for 5 minutes about an hour before I plan to eat them. Was putting maple syrup, walnuts and fresh Raspberries on the oats, now using some dry brown sugar and frozen raspberries and walnuts. I do not need to eat until late afternoon. Used to get hungry at 1030 to 11 am. Also started lifting wts again after a 30 yr break. I feel so much better now. Knee pain is gone and I sleep better.

Boolit Master

As long as you remember that a bowl of oatmeal is about 25 grams of carbs. If this is OK with you, cook 1/2 cut regular oats in one cup of water in a microwave for about 2 minutes. Put it in the refrigerator over night. In the morning, add butter, cinnamon and some sweetner, then nuke again. This method requires regular oatmeal to work. Makes no difference if generic from Aldi or Famous brand.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Attachment 310382

We believe this is due to quitting my blood thinner medication ordered by one of my doctors, 2 blood clots in the area where I had a previous procedure done in 2012. Had they broken free, I would not be posting. Minimal cholesterol plaque buildup, about the same on the other side which does not need to be operated on. I believe in modern medicine, but alternative measures are appreciated for what they can provide. I have had 11 extra years due to very good doctors.

Sorry for the sideways pic, click on it and it straightens up.

Slim
    That's what I'm looking forward to soon, latest scan right corteroid artery 75 to 80% blocked with plaque. I cannot handle statins make me hurt so bad I can barely get out of bed and my blood sugar skyrockets, my vascular surgeon Told me to take Niacin instead of statins, I take 1000 mg twice a day.

Eliminating carbs is not productive, generally speaking, except for very short periods of time. We do ourselves good by reducing our carb intake and by changing our sources of carbs. Dieticians claim we need about 200g of carbs daily but I believe that's wrong. 85 is more appropriate.

White sugar, brown sugar, turbinado, and other processed sugar should be eliminated. Bread usually has added sugar to get the yeast going and is usually consumed by the yeast. Get bread that is made with honey.

White foods (rice, potatoes, white bread, etc.) are very high in starch and convert quickly to blood sugar. Keep consumption of these items way down and eat brown rice, brown bread and very few potatoes.

Get any sugar from fruits and vegetables but only in limited quantities. Know their glycemic index (there are tables online).

Limit total consumption of all foods/calories. If you live a highly active life, you'll need more food, less if you're more sedentary.

Keep in mind, it's okay to feel hunger and only eat when you ARE hungry. Only eat enough to start to not feel hungry. You'd be surprised at how little that really is.

Just some random thoughts.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

As an adjunct to all of that, avoid processed food like the plague. Almost anything in a package is going to cause havoc with your metabolism. That includes diet sodas and artificial sweeteners.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

High cholesterol is not a problem that walks alone.

Have a blood test to check your fasting insulin levels as well. Those two usually go hand in hand.

A cholesterol problem can be a side effect of insulin sensitivity.

And if it is insulin sensitivity, oatmeal is going to make the problem worse. Insulin sensitivity also has nothing to do with blood sugar levels in the pre-diabetic phase.

Sometimes high cholesterol is not related to insulin, in which case it's a more serious problem that needs other treatment.

Don't fool around with herbal remedies and "natural" pills. If there is a problem with what you're eating, no amount of pills can fix that. All the pills you will take are almost pure corn starch, which will spike your insulin to high heaven if you are insulin resistant.

And for your sanity, do not rely on Google for medical information.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    As an adjunct to all of that, avoid processed food like the plague. Almost anything in a package is going to cause havoc with your metabolism. That includes diet sodas and artificial sweeteners.

--Wag--
    100% agree! I disagree with your carbohydrate assessment. A human NEEDS no external source of carbohydrate! Your body is able to manufacture the small amount of glucose you do need. I'm as close to 0 carb intake as humanly possible since May 2022. I'm down 70lbs, off all medications, feel like I'm 30 again (I'll be 60 in a month) and I'm NEVER going back to the way of eating that gave me pre-diabetes, achy joints, fat belly, shortness of breath, high blood pressure, and a poor mental outlook!

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    All the doctors are still “practicing medicine” last time I checked. I’ll take my chances with high cholesterol before I take a statin and erase my memory. Your brain needs fat/oil. Don’t take their degreaser poison pills!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    100% agree! I disagree with your carbohydrate assessment. A human NEEDS no external source of carbohydrate! Your body is able to manufacture the small amount of glucose you do need. I'm as close to 0 carb intake as humanly possible since May 2022. I'm down 70lbs, off all medications, feel like I'm 30 again (I'll be 60 in a month) and I'm NEVER going back to the way of eating that gave me pre-diabetes, achy joints, fat belly, shortness of breath, high blood pressure, and a poor mental outlook!
    It’s amazing how much a person’s health can improve after eating little to no carbs. Many of the foods we’ve been lead to believe were bad for our health actually aren’t. I’m assuming your doing a carnivore diet. Ribeyes, bacon, butter and eggs seem to be the staples for it and people are significantly improving their health and reducing their weight eating this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bubbadoyle View Post
    It’s amazing how much a person’s health can improve after eating little to no carbs. Many of the foods we’ve been lead to believe were bad for our health actually aren’t. I’m assuming your doing a carnivore diet. Ribeyes, bacon, butter and eggs seem to be the staples for it and people are significantly improving their health and reducing their weight eating this way.

My 40something chiropractor is full carnivore. He is 6'2" and weights 160. He can bench 300 lbs. You have never seen a healthier looking individual.

+1

Sugar, and any food that the body can convert to a massive dose of glucose, is a slow killer.

I found that if one stay away from deep fat foods , it is ok once in a great while . Bake more then frying . stay away from fatty foods. Eat lean meats like deer and beaver. I can not eat ice cream and milk . So that helps to keep my down . Yes I am on a low dose of the pill. Because heart problems is in the family. It all come to what you eat and also your activity is you . Also stay away from greasy foods . I found this works for me, my cholesterol is low. where it needs to be . Also I drink mulberry tea with my main meal I put honey and concentrated lemon juice in it. I have the trees grow on my place , I dry the leaves and grind them up.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

That's rite! I eat all kinds of meat including organ meat, and sea food. At this point I get about 70%of my calories from animal fat. That's butter, tallow, lard, bacon grease, duck fat etc. I eat a few select cheeses, goat cheese especially, read the label, nothing with red seaweed, guar gum etc added. For treats I eat browned butter bites, mascarpone cheese and occasionally creme fresh. I do all my eating in an 8 hour period, and fast the balance of the 24. I never become ravenous hungry and often only eat one meal a day. I do use Avocado oil to season my griddle, steel and cast pans.
    My cholesterol holds around 200-240 fasting, triglycerides around 80mg/dl, A1C 4.6%. When your body becomes fat adapted your cholesterol levels do fluctuate greatly, as that is how your body transports and uses energy. Before getting blood work n make sure you are fasting AT LEAST 12 hours, 16 is even better.
    If people will get it in their heads that SUGARS (carbs) are the real killer of our metabolic health leading to so many other diseases processes the pharmaceutical industry will go broke! Remember, "Good food is good medicine. Bad food needs medicine!".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12